Sugarlessllama's Escalation Thread

Sugarlessllama

I have to say, that I am really excited by this league. I have been loving 8th edition, but learning the rules has been tough. Not that the new rules are difficult to understand, but there is SOOOOOOO much to unlearn. And this league has been a great opportunity to break bad habits, and play with awesome people. So I will take a moment to thank @DisruptiveConduct for running this thing for us.

And speaking of DisruptiveConduct.....

Game 1 vs. Genestealers @ 25 Power Level

So I decided to play my Imperial Consuls for this league. Which wasn't a hard choice since I only have two 40K armies, and the other one is three Imperial Knights. I used my 25 power to build out a Battaltion Detachment, but due to the restrictions of the game I ran it as a patrol detachment. It consisted of:

• Captain with Thunderhammer and The Shield Eternal
  • Primaris Lieutenant with Boltrifle
  • 5 man Tactical Squad with Combi-plas, chainsword, and missile launcher x2
  • 5 man Intercessor Squad

When used as a Battalion Detachment this grants me a total of 6 CP. But I was running this as a patrol det, so I went into the game with three. I then used 1 cp to grant my captain a relic. However, since I was using the Ultramarines chapter tactics, I picked the warlord trait that allows for me to regain spent CPs on a 5+ roll. So I wasn't worried about only have 2 CP.

I had never faced genestealers before, and so I thought three troops choices with plenty of rerolls would be ideal. it would give me the versatility I would need to tackle just about anything. And with 9 leadership across the board, re-rolls in the morale phase, being able to fall back and shoot, and re-roll 1's to-hit and wound, AND having objective secured.... I was feeling very good about my life choices.  

large.IMG_20170808_191930.jpg.2c0eda8bdc9c548342e3bf503e6ecdef.jpg

large.IMG_20170808_191925.jpg.b75344b9f51dd8a6d7eac6dcd18de8f2.jpg

large.IMG_20170808_191938.jpg.9e7b6246ba6af102c6232573fbed718e.jpg

The pictures don't really do the match justice because my phone died. But there were a lot of great moments, and tons of laughs. I got the win, and I learned genestealers are a neat army to play against. I look forward to pairing off again so that I can see how they operate with more units on the table.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a match last night at WoW against Bryan and his Raven Guard.

It was a 50 Power match up, and I brought:

1 Captain with Shield Eternal

1 Primaris Lt. with bolt rifle

2 tac squads with missile launcher, combi-plas, and chainsword

1 intercessor squad

1 Imperial Knight Paladin

This roster amounted to 48 Power and was divided into two detachments granting me 6 CP.

I haven't really had a chance to play with my Knights in the new edition, and I fielded them very rarely in 6th and 7th. So I was super excited to give it a whirl. And I didn't disappoint. In the end it only killed one dreadnought, that was mostly due to me not using it correctly. It really feels like Imperial Knights need to be treated a more mobile Dreads. Like maybe I should be moving them around the field like they were something out of MechWarrior. So this was a good learning game for me.

As always Bryan was a great guy and I had a blast.

6 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

So I had a match last night at WoW against Bryan and his Raven Guard.

It was a 50 Power match up, and I brought:

1 Captain with Shield Eternal

1 Primaris Lt. with bolt rifle

2 tac squads with missile launcher, combi-plas, and chainsword

1 intercessor squad

1 Imperial Knight Paladin

This roster amounted to 48 Power and was divided into two detachments granting me 6 CP.

I haven't really had a chance to play with my Knights in the new edition, and I fielded them very rarely in 6th and 7th. So I was super excited to give it a whirl. And I didn't disappoint. In the end it only killed one dreadnought, that was mostly due to me not using it correctly. It really feels like Imperial Knights need to be treated a more mobile Dreads. Like maybe I should be moving them around the field like they were something out of MechWarrior. So this was a good learning game for me.

As always Bryan was a great guy and I had a blast.

Don't forget during "fall back" they can move over/ through infantry... used this a couple of times to get at characters hiding behind units my opponent thought were safe and committed to pile in too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12" move is a beautiful thing... fly can do it too. 

The knight is amazing at maneuver,  move, charge, "fall back" (quotes as i usually head for my opponents board edge) then support with rest of army immediately splits focus and gets them spreading out or trying to ignore one thing. The knight is extremely tough to tar pit as it can shoot and charge after fall back and ignores infantry on that move. Has a big base tho so can get caught just soften up units that are trying trying to ground control.

That said I have a much higher body count as I'm mixing chaos Astartes, renegades and heretics,  along with a knight, at higher points.

• Like 2

What knights you running ViV?

I tend to run multiple knights (3+), and this edition is so much fun with them. Like you said, treating them like Battlemechs, cuz they are, is great. The only time I stand and shoot is for objectives. Even Mortis styled, I'll advance. Like ViV said, hard to keep it tied down, and it still has its stomp attacks. 

I've been running a single knight,  brigade chaos soup,  and an iron warriors high command. 2 k points 13 command points...

As for the knight I have been happiest with battle cannon, avenger, and carapace iron storm cheap good indirect one. 

I look for my heavy assault else where.

It is more about the knight support than the exact load out...

Army feels really good right now 91 iron warrior cultists (over six squads), 9 renegade missile teams (5+ to hit but cheap heavy support), 36 marauders (two specials, 3+ to renegades), 3 iron warrior spawn, 3 malefic lords (forge world psykers cheap hqs). Then a fancy iron warriors hell wright  (warp smith plus who can heal the knight), iron warrior daemon prince, and iron warrior sorcerer  (might switch to exalted champ). Covers the field in bodies and has some maneuverable punch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Where's their renegade tits? I apologize for being crass, but what makes them reneSoBs?

My head cannon. I don't mean to be abrupt, but I have never been a fan of "boob armor". So, I'm not going to do it. There are going to be some head swaps here and there, but for the most part I will be using stock CSM models.

• Like 4

So I had a league match against my good friend @Josiah last night. We used the open war cards and it was a ton of fun. But I am a bit perplexed. 

Because Knights. 

When 8th dropped I was up against a lot of tanks. Predators were played left and right, and I didn't have anything to hurt them except one thing, Knights. And since lascannons were so prevalent, I didn't feel bad about having a single Knight on the table. But I think I'm not correctly gauging the power of the Knights in the new edition. 

So at what do you guys think? What size game should I be using them? 

I really like the visual of a platoon of astartes supported by a lone Knight, hunting tanks and renegade knights. 

What changes should a make? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

So I had a league match against my good friend @Josiah last night. We used the open war cards and it was a ton of fun. But I am a bit perplexed. 

Because Knights. 

When 8th dropped I was up against a lot of tanks. Predators were played left and right, and I didn't have anything to hurt them except one thing, Knights. And since lascannons were so prevalent, I didn't feel bad about having a single Knight on the table. But I think I'm not correctly gauging the power of the Knights in the new edition. 

So at what do you guys think? What size game should I be using them? 

I really like the visual of a platoon of astartes supported by a lone Knight, hunting tanks and renegade knights. 

What changes should a make? 

I think 75pw to 100pw would allow your opponent to have a list to deal with a knight.  25 to 50 it's going to come down to their build I think.  If you played my list at 50 I'd be fine , but Kan and his genestealers at 50 wouldn't have anything to take you down I think.

• Like 1

So I thought I would share some pictures from the match up. 

Overall it was awesome. I finally got to set up my home table, which was great. And I showcased the terrain that I got for my birthday. 

@Josiah was a great opponent, and we spent some time trying to figure out where to go with his army. 

This match up has really taught me how good ultramarines have it in this edition so far. I really look forward to trying to figure out different ways to run my army. And I think I'm going to add some more primaris marines to my force. Intercessor squads have been a ton of fun. 

Edited by Sugarlessllama
Needed to delete the photos. Not enough space. :(
  • Like 6