Smiling Skulls Space Marines

3 hours ago, Ish said:

What are the issues with the unit? It doesn’t strike me as especially “broken,” in either sense of the term.

The main issue is the FAQ, which as a reminder of GW's FAQs of old, makes more problems than it solves. 

The CSM Crew rule has been FAQed to create 2 units at deployment, one of crew and one of Rapier batteries. All other rules remain unchanged, but all other rules reference CSM Crew being in the unit with the Rapier Battery. As written, the Battery cannot fire because a CSM crew of the same UNIT is not within 3" of it because the CSM crew are no longer part of the same unit. Additionally, the Rapier battery has additional rules which trigger at the loss of their CSM crew from the same UNIT. 

The old wording, which they fixed, featured one more "each" than was probably intended, as it divided the crew and rapiers into individual units of 1 rapier or 2 crew (making my 199pt unit into 9 units at deployment), but didn't solve this particular issue. 

Though it didn't come up, the CSM crew also benefit from a quasi-CHARACTER rule as the wording which prevents them from being singled out from their guns doesn't specify only the guns, so they are ineligible targets to shoot if *anything is closer.* I love the models, but those rules are garbage. 

Opponents were not pleasent, either, which compounded the problem.

That said, this would have been my second game with the rapier battery as built. First game, I guess I didn't read it close enough (or have really anal opponents), but there was no issue using them and they were perfectly fair on the battle field.

That’s clearly just [big bad swear word]ty rules writing (and GW shooting themselves in the foot by their constantly conflating “model” with “unit”).

The intent of the original rules seems clear to me: each gun has two crew; you can add up to two more guns (each with two crew) to the unit; during/after deployment, each gun (with its two crew) is treated as a separate unit... 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...