Roll modifiers

Okay, can the result of a D6 be modified beyond the 1-6 results?

Specifically, if I have a model with a 7+ save and I have a +1 modifier to my roll, can I roll a 7?

And, on the other end, if I have a -1 modifier to my roll, can I roll a 0 (zero)? This second one matters for effects that happen on rolls of 1, like re-rolling 1s to hit or models getting burnt up by their overcharged plasma weapons. 

In both cases, rolling a 1 before modifiers will always fail. I'm asking in regards to other effects which trigger on the result of the die. 

Yes, you can make a 7+ Save with a +1 bonus. This was specifically discussed in regards to something, PoxWalkers I think. Pretty sure there was also a bit in one of the recent FAQs essentially saying that anything that triggers on a 6 triggers on a modified 6+, and anything that triggers on a 1 triggers on a modified 1 or less.

In the poxwalkers case, they have a 7+ save. So the easiest way to achieve that is being in cover and getting +1 to the models save. 

So the +1 cover changes what you physically roll on the dice. So if you roll a 1,3,5 and 6, cover changes those dice to 2,4,6 and 7. Allowing you to save one Poxwalker.

Alpha legion's trait of -1 to hit over 12"+ works the same way. Needing a 3+ to hit and you roll a 1,3,5 and 6, the alpha legion trait changes those dice to 1,2,4 and 5. So two hits.

Now I'm pretty sure you can go above a 6 but not below a 1.

• Like 1

To add a quirky thing to the "to hit" modifiers. The modifiers kick in after re-rolls.  Stealing from the example above. 

Alpha legion's trait of -1 to hit over 12"+ works the same way. Needing a 3+ to hit and you roll a 1,3,5 and 6. If I had the ability to re-roll misses I would only re-roll the 1 as the 3 hits. Then after re-rolling the 1 say you get a 4, the -1 modifier the alpha legion trait changes those dice to 2, 3, 4, and 5. So three hits because your natural 3 became a 2 and a miss.

20 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

To add a quirky thing to the "to hit" modifiers. The modifiers kick in after re-rolls.  Stealing from the example above. 

Alpha legion's trait of -1 to hit over 12"+ works the same way. Needing a 3+ to hit and you roll a 1,3,5 and 6. If I had the ability to re-roll misses I would only re-roll the 1 as the 3 hits. Then after re-rolling the 1 say you get a 4, the -1 modifier the alpha legion trait changes those dice to 2, 3, 4, and 5. So three hits because your natural 3 became a 2 and a miss.

Source?

rule book FAQ, I bolded the relevant text:

ERRATA Page 178 – Re-rolls Change this paragraph to read: ‘Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. If a rule allows you to re-roll a result that was made by adding several dice together (e.g. 2D6, 3D6, etc.) then, unless otherwise stated, you must roll all of those dice again. You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls happen before modifiers (if any) are applied.

• Thanks 2

Designer's Commentary:

Q: When making a hit roll with a supercharged plasma
weapon, do you determine whether a ‘1’ was rolled
before or after applying re-rolls and modifiers?
A: You apply all re-rolls and modifiers first.
For example, if, after re-rolls and modifiers, the final result
is then a 1 (or counts as a 1, as explained above), then the
supercharged plasma weapon injures or kills the firer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pretre said:

Designer's Commentary:

Q: When making a hit roll with a supercharged plasma
weapon, do you determine whether a ‘1’ was rolled
before or after applying re-rolls and modifiers?
A: You apply all re-rolls and modifiers first.
For example, if, after re-rolls and modifiers, the final result
is then a 1 (or counts as a 1, as explained above), then the
supercharged plasma weapon injures or kills the firer.

so where is this faq found? I totally believe you that this is a thing, but I can't find it in the official faq.

43 minutes ago, pretre said:

It was published after the release of the edition, but isn't available anymore.

https://games-workshop.org/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available/

Ugh. Reminds me of playing pathfinder. So the rule was published, but isn't currently found on their site or in any materials, but we're expected to follow it, through word of mouth only? I hate it when they can't just write the rules down...

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Ugh. Reminds me of playing pathfinder. So the rule was published, but isn't currently found on their site or in any materials, but we're expected to follow it, through word of mouth only? I hate it when they can't just write the rules down...

You can easily get that interpretation from the main rules as well.

Hmm...overheat...so since reroll conditions apply before modifiers, if I have re-rolls of 1s and -1 to hit, I'd be able to re-roll the 1s, but the dice that came up 2 wouldn't re-roll and would still overheat?

Makes more sense why plasma is so much cheaper than melta in this edition. 

25 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Hmm...overheat...so since reroll conditions apply before modifiers, if I have re-rolls of 1s and -1 to hit, I'd be able to re-roll the 1s, but the dice that came up 2 wouldn't re-roll and would still overheat?

Makes more sense why plasma is so much cheaper than melta in this edition. 

Correct.