2018 Ambassadorial Grand Tournament news

Lord Hanaur

Our 28th Ambassador has registered, this time for the Blood Angels.  I'll update the list of available Ambassadorships now.

The following forces still need an Ambassador.

Adeptus Custodes

Adeptus Ministorum

Astra Militarum

Chaos Daemons

Drukhari

GeneStealer Cult

Grey Knights

Space Wolves

Registration is here:  https://www.40kambassadors.com/registration/

And here is the current field of players:  https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/eventlanding/yvk3ma9l

A few words about prizes:  https://www.40kambassadors.com/prizes/

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

The main thing that is keeping me from filling an Adeptus Ministorum slot with my Sisters Brigade is the 0/1 restriction on Forge World.

I've converted 4 Repressors and want to use them all.

It's actually 0-1 Restriction on Lords of War.  Forge World itself is disallowed.  Just for clarity.

Rhinos aren't repressors, that's for sure, but you should totally play anyways.  I use a Rhino heavy list as well and it works great.  I think Repressors are very cool, but they really aren't a necessity.  Besides, you're facing a field that has no Forgeworld either.  Some of the attraction of such things is the arms race.  You won't have to face the crazy pants nutso things.  Just the run of the mill crazy pants stuff.

You WILL have fun.  That's a fact.  We raffle tons of prizes anyways.  You get fed, your nutirional requirements are met, you get 5 games in and (if you care) GT points from going; as well as the free stuff we give everyone.  Nothing but win.

EDIT:  also you can use Repressors as stand in Rhinos.  So visually they can still look awesome for you.

13 minutes ago, necrontyr said:

I was interested in the Astra Militarum slot till I saw that too. I want to run an Air Cav stormtrooper list that relies heavily on Valkyries, Vendettas, and Vultures. Guess the old Forge World hate is still around in some places.

Adapt and overcome.  =)  I hope you can make the slight tweak on the vulture.  I do love love love the Militarum Tempestus.  It's one of my favorite armies to play in the new edition.  In fact I just got to play against the new Necrons a couple days ago.  Astra Militarum victory!

Just now, necrontyr said:

Sure! I'll take my ground based guard list with Heavy Mortar and Medusa support, no wait... How about my Armored Company with Leman Russ Annihilator and Malcador? Nope, not that one either... I got it, my Super Heavy list with Baneblades, Shadowsword, Macharius... oh. Well how about that. I guess I won't be attending.

Or just...switch out the Vulture.  Anywho, I am sorry to hear you won't be there.  Although to be honest, you probably would want to switch out the vulture anyways due to mission 4.  I don't know the whole list, but I know that Mission 4 usually makes people look at some alterations anyways.  I hope you change your mind.

1 hour ago, necrontyr said:

You run your event however you want. I paid a lot of money for my mediocre toys and I want to use them. I won't be doing it there.

It's not about what you spent.  I was just suggesting that you switch the one model that seems to be an issue so that you can have fun with us.  It's not a big deal either way.  It seems like you're out to make a statement.  Again, if you change your mind, feel free to come play with us and geek out.

15 minutes ago, Jvesal said:

Bummer that I cant attend either because the armies I play are already taken. Would have had more attendance if it wasn't so exclusive.

Hopefully next year then.  It does fill up fast and then a few slots linger near the end. 

Note that we gave lots of notice before registration starts, just so everyone had a go at it.  We will again next year.  On the plus side, now you know about it, so you can follow it.  I really can't wait.  I'm excited.  The Website has a link to the Facebook page if you want to plug in there.

5 hours ago, necrontyr said:

It's not one model, it's hundreds. You're banning an entire group of models. (I have two Vultures and a Vendetta in the list BTW.) And yes, I'm making a statement. Banning Forgeworld is stupid, and I won't attend any events you run that do so.

38 minutes ago, Jvesal said:

Bummer that I cant attend either because the armies I play are already taken. Would have had more attendance if it wasn't so exclusive.

these are why I pretty much ignore the ambassadors tourney and anything Hanaur runs.  It feels super clique-y and I like my 40k inclusive. Players are already a small slice of humanity no reason to make it smaller. 

Only nip in here to mark this thread as read. But saw I'm not the only one with these opinions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

these are why I pretty much ignore the ambassadors tourney and anything Hanaur runs.  It feels super clique-y and I like my 40k inclusive. Players are already a small slice of humanity no reason to make it smaller. 

Only nip in here to mark this thread as read. But saw I'm not the only one with these opinions. 

clique-y?  Hehehe.  Now that's something I have never heard attributed to me...  Definitely a new aspersion!

As it turns out, anyone can go if they register early, as with all events.  So there's that.  But it is true that this one tournament has a theme.  If themed events aren't you, that's a you issue.  I'm definitely not going to apologize for the good time we have every year.  =)  I hope you change your mind.  What else can one say?

I had a blast the year I attended. It is good times throwing dice and eating food. I don't understand the hate towards Forgeworld that LH has, but it is just another tournament rule to follow. Everyone gets to choose which pool to play in, if you don't like LH's pool, you don't have to pee in it.

I would go if I could scrape together a decent GSC list, or if the Tyranid were available. Would be fun running a 7 Flyrant list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, VonVilkee said:

On 4/11/2018 at 8:33 PM, Jvesal said:

It is not exclusive. You just have to sign up for it fast. The format is what makes it so much fun and worth the effort to attend. Getting to fight 5 different codex over the week end is great. but if you allowed more than the limit that wouldn't happen. That would ruin the format intention. I played twice over the 5 years and it was worth the time spent.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, VonVilkee said:

You both do understand that forge world is not played every where. This is not the only tournament format that limits Forge World. GW events have said no forge world at some of them.

This is a THEME  EVENT that been this was for over 4 to 5 years, before ITC was a thing. Before Forge world was wildly used or expected. The event has grown to a GT event over the last few year.

Hanaur does run ITC event and he allows Forge World in them. You also don't seam to know the ITC use to limit Forge World too..

Hanuar don't like forge world it is well known.  I can see his side of it.  I feel if the tournament allows it than they are fine and people have to deal with some stuff. I also love a tournament that limit it the amount of Forge World or as this one does Bans it.  Both types of tournaments are good thing and allow people to play a style they prefer.  Where do you git off saying that is a wrong thing.??

The event is not super clique-y we get people from all over the country.  VonVikee How would you know if it is clique?? Have been to the event? Have you came and watched? You live in the northwest.?? Cause we have no shortage of players up here. Getting people is not a issue. 

On 4/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, necrontyr said:

It's not one model, it's hundreds. You're banning an entire group of models. (I have two Vultures and a Vendetta in the list BTW.) And yes, I'm making a statement. Banning Forgeworld is stupid, and I won't attend any events you run that do so.

So you feel Tournament that have a focus on fun unique theme sets easy limits for everyone to have fun to help people have a good time is a bad thing....???

That a tournament that went for 8 people to over 32 in a few years because of the format that people enjoy...!!They actually like it..!!! Is dumb???  Man you have some odd kind of ego that you have the right to tell a man that has worked hard setting up and running a tournament year after year that he is stupid for doing it.

He is stupid for running a event many people like..?. May more people be this stupid. Because I like it.!!

Are you a TO or just a player?   I am guessing you are a player who know nothing about running a event of this size or the effort to make it grow. A person willing to spend time setting up a tournament of this size. Getting food drinks and custom dice for everyone attending. Finding sponsors, setting up a live stream. Doing this yearly. This is no small task. So he made a tournament with a format that he would love to play in but doesn't. He does it for other people to enjoy as he judges. He built this format himself and it is successful. People a lot of people like it.

If you don't like his event than run your own. But don't call something stupid if you never played the format. Saying something is stupid before you try it is actually what is stupid.

A lot of people like and play Forge World. Most of the tournament you can go to are ITC  format these days. They allow Forge world at most of these. If you want to bring them do so there. There you can play the same army maybe 2 to 4 times depending on the local meta. Yep that's fun all the time. same old format all the time. Real fun!!

The people that run ITC love going to tournament that have different formats then theirs. Nova, is a example. Games Workshop for is different and they limit //Ban Forge World at some of them.SO i see you think the are stupid for doing that to.!!  

In the end If you want to have fun playing the same army only one time out of 5 games. Getting to meet people that love the armies they play maybe even more than you do. Please open your mind to a new and different experience. This tournament is Great. It is refreshing and worth the time to attend and play.

I see most of his response have  been nice and polite. I don't have those issues at this time.

• Thanks 1

So fast sign up encourages people that know Hanuar and his club.  I know there have been people out and about across the country. It is a perception thing and saying that I only want people with different armies playing and Hanuar being a guy with just about everything encourages players with far more resources than me so I felt excluded. This also stemmed from his "unorthodox" approach. Not saying there is a right or a wrong way it is just how this came across to me on a perception level. I felt this way till I actually met Hanuar mid cycle on these ambassador tourneys. My armies are either not allowed (knights) or far too common for me to cash in wife points to consider trying to get in the queue, so I don't get excited or even consider adding this non consequential stress to my life. 

This is obviously a polarizing way of doing things is all I'm trying to say. Course tourneys of any type are polarizing. The fact that I stayed quiet for so long is testament to how cool Hanuar is but as the tourney gets out there more consideration needs to be made to those that are just now starting to see it and react to it. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 8:41 AM, necrontyr said:

I don't think you read all of my responses.

I like the idea of the tournament. I was interested in attending. It seems like a cool and fun event. I've been working on a fun tourney list. Then I saw that all Forgeworld was banned. I think banning a huge part of the game is stupid. I don't know Lord H. in real life. He comes across as an arrogant prick sometimes on the forums, but I think he really does love the game. This outdated hate for Forgeworld is absolutely confusing though.

You don't know me, but I'll just say that I've played in, organized, and ran a few events in my time.  Never have I banned Forgeworld.

Lord H does love the game I agree. He can rub people the wrong way. But at lest he has a view point and sticks with it so good or bad. He is open to changes in the tournament but has drawn a hard line at Forge World for this one Tournament that and one lord of war. It his tournament that he developed over the years. Lots of people like it. He has people that look forward to him running it. Not just a local group but people in other states. Joshua Dearth the #1 in the ITC played at the tournament last year.

He has taken a break from running tournaments compared to a few years ago. But when he does ITC he been allowing FW.

Instead of complaining about the format calling it stupid...Give it a try and see why people are enjoying it and asking for it.

The whole thing about this tournament since it started was that Forge World was Banned. People like the format. A lot of People like not facing  FW.

At a tournament you never see people bring the bad or decent Forge World stuff. It is always the Broken stuff. The stuff there codex can't do as good. I have never seen anything but Pylons for Necrons at a tournament for example.  I have seen other stuff at narrative games but never in a tournament. 

In the last 3 to 4 years only has been allowing forge world has become the norm. Before that is was rare to see a tournament allow it. Forge World was considered mainly for Apocalypse games or Something narrative.

As for forge world being a outdated view. I don't think it is really. A lot of the people new to the game don't know about it at first and when you are at the GW store they do not promote it all that much. It is a supplemental option. For most people it is truly expensive to buy. I have kit bashed to make models for my Tyranids as it was cheaper that buying them.  As a player over the last 9 years i have always asked if it was OK to bring intell just recently. And than only if doing ITC format, because it is allowed in it.

If GW meant for it to be part of the game for new players the unit and army rules would be in the CODEX they make. That it is not makes it a optional source. Since it is optional TO's should not be criticized for running tournament with it or without it. if GW doesn't allow them for their Tournaments at time... Why should everyone else?

When i go to ITC tournaments i only see a few people with forge world in there list. Like the Guy that had Fourteen of the FW AM Hellhounds that are like 114 with a nasty flamer and meltas.. That units is cheaper than any AM tanks in there codex by like 20 to 40 points with way more fire power. The rest of the list is space wolves. Sadly the guy who runs it doesn't even have the real models. He has knock offs.  70 present of the people playing at the tournament don't have forge world. and at lest 50% won't play it for many different reasons. Cost, being made to buy extra rules, and so forth.

ITC banned many units from forge world just last year be cause of imbalance in the unit rules.

Many players don't own or play with it. More than a few dislike playing against it. 

Yes Forge World has many models for different armies, mainly Imperials and power armor when compared to Zenos). But these are optional rules. If Forge World was to close up shop it wouldn't effect the game. It is not needed for it to be complete. 

You liked the concept of the tournament than run one like it allowing FW. You already know people enjoy the format. If you think you can do it better do so. Lord H would love to play this format himself. ( - FW of course) He would likely still come and play.Even with forge world. But he wouldn't call you stupid for allowing it.

At the end of it, even Games Workshop keeps them to separate. It is a optional source that TO's can allow or not allow. They are setting up a event that most people don't or can't be bothered to set up, because they want to play. They should be applauded for making the effort. They shouldn't be insulted for making that choice.!!

TO's get a lot of flak from people on mission, format, rule calls, and many other thing. These people set up events not for a big payday but for the love of the game. Lots of TO are Hobby shop owners. A lot or not.  

We should not as a group should be insulting the people that setting up the events we enjoy. We should be encouaging them to do more. 

We all just want to roll dice and play fun game in a safe relaxing environment.   Hopeful with Air Conditioned with beer!! God Love Portland OR.!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2018 at 8:45 AM, VonVilkee said:

So fast sign up encourages people that know Hanuar and his club.  I know there have been people out and about across the country. It is a perception thing and saying that I only want people with different armies playing and Hanuar being a guy with just about everything encourages players with far more resources than me so I felt excluded. This also stemmed from his "unorthodox" approach. Not saying there is a right or a wrong way it is just how this came across to me on a perception level. I felt this way till I actually met Hanuar mid cycle on these ambassador tourneys. My armies are either not allowed (knights) or far too common for me to cash in wife points to consider trying to get in the queue, so I don't get excited or even consider adding this non consequential stress to my life. 

This is obviously a polarizing way of doing things is all I'm trying to say. Course tourneys of any type are polarizing. The fact that I stayed quiet for so long is testament to how cool Hanuar is but as the tourney gets out there more consideration needs to be made to those that are just now starting to see it and react to it. 

For your sake and that of everyone who doesnt know me, i have always made it a point to ramp up and let people know its coming, well in advance, which is to dispel exactly this perception.  Note the dates on my notices.  Im keenly aware that knowing me would be an advantage and so to answer your concern, i give a ton of heads up.  And I hope that helps you be there next year, or this year. 

I didnt understand the unorthodox approach part of your post.

Knights have indeed not found their way into the tournament, but you own other models if im not much mistaken.  I'd encourage you to plan on trying to represent them next year if you cannot this year. I dont have another satisfying suggestion.  I do hope you will join the Facebook group and perhaps it will plug you in more.  Add the website to "Favorites" as well and i hope you can play sooner than later

On 4/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, necrontyr said:

I like the idea of the tournament. I was interested in attending. It seems like a cool and fun event. I've been working on a fun tourney list. Then I saw that all Forgeworld was banned. I think banning a huge part of the game is stupid. I don't know Lord H. in real life. He comes across as an arrogant prick sometimes on the forums, but I think he really does love the game. This outdated hate for Forgeworld is absolutely confusing though.

You don't know me, but I'll just say that I've played in, organized, and ran a few events in my time.  Never have I banned Forgeworld.

Well...  I am sorry that you feel so strongly about me.  I suppose one cannot be all things to all people.  In a competitive thing like 40K I suppose this enmity from people can be inevitable.  All I can hope here is to change your mind in person.  Or not.  But I'd like to try.  Failing that, all I can offer is a good event.  :)

19 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

For your sake and that of everyone who doesnt know me, i have always made it a point to ramp up and let people know its coming, well in advance, which is to dispel exactly this perception.  Note the dates on my notices.  Im keenly aware that knowing me would be an advantage and so to answer your concern, i give a ton of heads up.  And I hope that helps you be there next year, or this year. 

I didnt understand the unorthodox approach part of your post.

Knights have indeed not found their way into the tournament, but you own other models if im not much mistaken.  I'd encourage you to plan on trying to represent them next year if you cannot this year. I dont have another satisfying suggestion.  I do hope you will join the Facebook group and perhaps it will plug you in more.  Add the website to "Favorites" as well and i hope you can play sooner than later

Not giving my life to face book, and while I have other models my armies are always the first ones filled and I'm not stopping my life to go register. I know you give notice, plenty of notice. This just isn't my thing. I've been watching this tourney grow from the first year, I lurk here a lot. My solution to your unique way of running a really cool event was to never dream of attending, I'll never be disappointed. 

Push come to shove if I really wanted to attend I could probably convince you to loan me an army! You are that cool of a dude but it usually doesn't come across that way on the internet and I didn't realize it for the first couple of years. 

10 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Not giving my life to face book, and while I have other models my armies are always the first ones filled and I'm not stopping my life to go register...

Push come to shove if I really wanted to attend I could probably convince you to loan me an army! You are that cool of a dude but it usually doesn't come across that way one the internet and I didn't realize it for the first couple of years. 

Ive done it multiple times (loaned units and armies).  I even donated 10 warp spiders to Sean Morgan (AbusePuppy) because he forgot them  the first year he won it and he doesnt even like me!  Matt DeMartino had his stolen the night before that same event but i had every model he needed for Sisters of Battle so we were a little late getting started but we made [big bad swear word] happen.  :)

• Like 1

IMPORTANT: 

There has been some shifting among the Ambassadors!  You may find that your faction is now available once more.  

If you would like to be part of this great event, take a fresh look at the registration page.  On the right are the Ambassadorships which are already accounted for; and on the "Army Choice 1" drop down menu are the factions you can still select (those not grey'd out on the drop down).

Take a look: https://www.40kambassadors.com/registration/

Hey all, I thought you'd be interested to know that the tournament is going to have some new custom tables this year.  Pics are on the Facebook site but they are really slick complete with outlets, cup holders and recessed surfaces.  They kind of look like cherry wood even though I don't think they are.  Anywho, it should be fun to play on.

In other news:  The Masseuse is coming again this year.  So sign up for your massage before during or after your games.  It's a great way to unwind after a tough round or after a victorious one.  Tina is from a local Chiropractors office who agreed to do it last year and we will be giving some free ones away.  😃

Just got the big box of prize support for the Ambassadors I was waiting for from StormCrow!  Saweeeeeet stuff in there. 

I wasn't sure if they could get it shipped to me on time but...yes!  More free stuff to give away to the Ambassadors!  You guys will love it.

EDIT:  Hey guys, I took a closer look at the stuff they sent. Holy frejole's. SUPER cool Tzeentch, Nurgle, Ork, Sisters of Battle, and Marine stuff, and stuff that's more universal. The gravity guns are cool looking. A couple of REALLY cool objective marker sets, and the list goes on. All for you.