2018 Ambassadorial Grand Tournament news

Lord Hanaur

Two questions about the Ambassadors event from someone who is considering making the trip down to attend:

1.) Is there a preferred hotel that the tournament recommends for out-of-towners? Do you have a reduced rate negotiated anywhere, etc? 

2.) Looking through the One Codex rule would seem to suggest that a Genestealer Cult player would not be able to utilize their Brood Brothers Special Rule, as that would necessitate the use of the Astra Militarum Codex. Is this the case? It seems slightly complicated to me as the GS Cult list doesn't really use AM units per se, but rather uses the AM codex as a reference. The AM codex is a sort of short cut to the data slates for Brood Brothers, as the Genestealer Cult list is (as I'm sure you know) still an Index list.

Or does the fact that the unit entries come from the AM Codex preclude their inclusion, even though they are not technically Astra Militarum units but rather Brood Brothers units??

Edited by peter c
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

I am interested in the answer to question 2.

17 hours ago, peter c said:

2.) Looking through the One Codex rule would seem to suggest that a Genestealer Cult player would not be able to utilize their Brood Brothers Special Rule, as that would necessitate the use of the Astra Militarum Codex. Is this the case? It seems slightly complicated to me as the GS Cult list doesn't really use AM units per se, but rather uses the AM codex as a reference. The AM codex is a sort of short cut to the data slates for Brood Brothers, as the Genestealer Cult list is (as I'm sure you know) still an Index list.

Or does the fact that the unit entries come from the AM Codex preclude their inclusion, even though they are not technically Astra Militarum units but rather Brood Brothers units??

55 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

I am interested in the answer to question 2.

Gotcha, here's the gist of the ruling --

Lord Hanaur wrote via PM on 5/3/2018 :

"The idea here is to showcase the codex's (in your case Index).  It would probably defeat the purpose to allow importing, when a ton of them COULD also import other things.  Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines can by rights bring in things from all over the place because of the IMperium Keyword etc...  INCLUDING Astra Militarum!  Your special rule lets you take (essentially) do it also with a detachment of Astra Militarum to supplement your traitorous kin in the same way."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

I can't get together a decent enough list to make it worth my time with GSC. They are over costed, have no stratagems, and without the support of AM really lack in shooting. It would be fun to attend again, I just don't feel like getting stomped for 5 rounds.

I havent faced a TRUE Genestealer Cult in 8th nor ever, so I wouldnt know.  It would be interesting to see.  I do know that everyone else will also not be souping.

Chancey has them and says they can win but he also says its on hard mode right now.  

5 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

I can't get together a decent enough list to make it worth my time with GSC. They are over costed, have no stratagems, and without the support of AM really lack in shooting. It would be fun to attend again, I just don't feel like getting stomped for 5 rounds.

Word up.

8 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Totes.  Chancey says it's difficult.  He would know.  I personally would really love to see a real pure genestealer type list though.  Its got unique units that just never get to be seen.

Well not to split hairs, but Brood Brothers are part of a Genestealer Cult List. 

GW wrote the rule specifically for their index cognizant (as opposed to the rule for Allied Detachments, which applies to all detachments that share a keyword) of the fact that the list only really works in 8th when you include Brood Brothers. It's different because it isn't about sharing a keyword, it's about changing keywords and it's part of their fluff and part of the list that was (presumably) playtested to go on the tabletop in this edition. It's part of their list in the same way that And They Shall Know No Fear is part of a Space Marine list or Death To The False Emperor is part of a CSM list.

But that's neither here nor there, the Ambassador's Tournament is designed to play a modified and limited version of 8th edition 40k and there's nothing wrong with that. Your house, your house rules. I'm good with that, but just for clarification the inclusion of certain units from the AM Codex is part of the army, plain and simple.

Best of luck with the tourney!

2 hours ago, peter c said:

Well not to split hairs, but Brood Brothers are part of a Genestealer Cult List. 

GW wrote the rule specifically for their index cognizant (as opposed to the rule for Allied Detachments, which applies to all detachments that share a keyword) of the fact that the list only really works in 8th when you include Brood Brothers. It's different because it isn't about sharing a keyword, it's about changing keywords and it's part of their fluff and part of the list that was (presumably) playtested to go on the tabletop in this edition. It's part of their list in the same way that And They Shall Know No Fear is part of a Space Marine list or Death To The False Emperor is part of a CSM list.

But that's neither here nor there, the Ambassador's Tournament is designed to play a modified and limited version of 8th edition 40k and there's nothing wrong with that. Your house, your house rules. I'm good with that, but just for clarification the inclusion of certain units from the AM Codex is part of the army, plain and simple.

Best of luck with the tourney!

Thank you!  The hardest part is done.  Now it should be smooth sailing.

Worthy Ambassadors: Some of you will note that the missions refer to Secondary Objectives, but they are not listed. The Shrine Point Mission has its Secondary built in. However, the others are revealed at the START of round 3 as it says on the website. We are posting them here for your perusal, in no particular order

Secondary Objectives:

“Master Spy”

Each player nominates one of their opponents models  and announces it as their spy.  To achieve the secondary objective (6 points) for this mission, that enemy model must survive. Spies must always have wounds  allocated to them last.   That model cannot absorb the wounds of other models.

“The Thin Red Line”

If your enemy ends the game with no units within 12" of your long board edge you have achieved the secondary objective (6 points).  For a unit to be in your deployment zone for this purpose, one enemy model must be entirely within 12” of your deployment edge.  Models that have a rule that says they cannot take objectives also cannot claim this one.

“Frag 'Em All and Let The Emperor Sort ‘Em Out”

You can achieve the secondary objective if your enemy has less than half as many Power Levels left on the table as you do, at the end of the game.

“The Vagaries of War”

Each player places one Objective anywhere outside their deployment zone and then scatters it.  To scatter it, roll a D6 as close as possible to it.  If the roll comes up a 1 or a 6,  re-roll the die. On a 2-5, Scatter the new objective marker 4D6 inches in the exact direction that the 1 pip on the die is pointing.

These new objectives are  impassible. If they land directly on a unit or impassible terrain, reduce the scatter the least amount possible to place it.

To gain credit for this Secondary objective (6 points), you must control more of these two objectives than your enemy at the end of the game.

“Lord, give me the strength to find one more”

The next time a unit is destroyed, leave a 25mm model or marker where its last model stood. This marker requires triage.  It can be picked up by any unit in the movement phase simply by touching it, which ends that units movement for the turn.  The unit carrying the marker cannot be moved more than 6” in a turn by any means, in order to avoid further damaging the person of component it represents. The unit carrying it cannot charge into an enemy voluntarily but it can of course defend itself or fall back.

You gain this secondary objective (6 points) if the marker reaches your long deployment edge,  at which time the marker is removed.

The previous version of these were posted earlier on, to give people an idea of what they might look like;  but of course they had to be modified slightly for 8th Edition.

Finally had a chance to look at the lists and had a question about the Guard list.

I don't own the 8th Ed. Astra Militarum codex, but are Crusaders a part of it?  I thought they went from being Inquisitor Henchmen in 7th to Adeptus Ministorum models in 8th.

10 hours ago, Frowbakk said:

Finally had a chance to look at the lists and had a question about the Guard list.

I don't own the 8th Ed. Astra Militarum codex, but are Crusaders a part of it?  I thought they went from being Inquisitor Henchmen in 7th to Adeptus Ministorum models in 8th.

Crusaders are on page 99 of the Astra Militarum Codex.

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

Cooliosity.

Nice durable last layer of bubblewrap AND durable counter-charge unit.

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Lol.  Yeah the Crusaders are actually really scary.  While they dont cure cancer, they are most definitely to be avoided when you can because they put the hurt on.

One of our Ambassadors had their work catch on fire today and will not be able to attend.  He is a T'au Empire Ambassador.  If you wish to play as the T'au Ambassador, please PM me immediately.  He is very disappointed but wanted someone to be able to play in his stead.  He even went so far as to offer his army up for a worthy Ambassador to use, albeit I am sure the Ambassador who replaces him will want to use his own.

In any event, let me know immediately if you'd like to fill the slot left by this unfortunate turn of events.