Dnd or Pathfinder

38 minutes ago, Duckman said:

I'm not sure that telling people that unless they are willing to make large expenditures they should reconsider entering the hobby is the best way to support either the hobby or the LGS.  There are a number of ways to actually get into wargaming that don't involve the purchase of a new rulebook and a new army and I don't mean PirateBay either.  Used armies and books and where they are available PDFs are all options to lower the cost and keep the hobby alive.  And as more and more wargames come out through kickstarter or largely online sales those games are going to become the model for the future and they are not, by their very nature, going to support the LGS.

So when confronted with the choice, do you let the hobby die because it does not support the LGS or do you try to bring new blood into the hobby even if it means a new business model and a new venue for gaming?  I think you still have to support the people creating the IP, whether it is rules or models or electronic platforms to play on.  Otherwise you might as well write off the hobby entirely and the LGS is dead anyway.

They should be able and willing to pay full price, even if they don't. Having a realistic grasp of a hobby's cost is important. Getting involved in a hobby you can't afford leaves people bitter, and may make them seriously consider criminal/immoral means to support their hobby. This is true with kids and games alike. People should enter a hobby knowing the costs and be willing to pay what it costs to enjoy the hobby. 

I do agree, there are lots of cheap ways to do wargaming and RPGs, children too. Nothing wrong with those, just that you shouldn't get into the hobby assuming that those discount options will always be there.  

And you don't have to support local game stores, you just shouldn't expect them to keep existing if you don't support them. IP creators/owners as well. It's the role of the consumer to establish what they want to have survive and what doesn't need to. 

That said, I don't really think digital copies of the rules are good for the hobby. I just have found that people with them don't seem to read them very well, or at least don't retain what they read very well. Plus they seem to be pirated/illegally copied quite often - even from people that legally bought them and just are "loaning" digital copies to their friends and family.

PS: if you don't have a local game store, there's no need to support local game stores. I'm talking from the perspective of a gamer that regularly benefits from having a high quality local game store, one that would be sad to lose.  

On 12/11/2017 at 7:21 AM, Ultramar Or Bust said:

I’ve been playing 2nd, BX, and 5th edition of dnd for a while, but it has all been through my brother, who is the master of tomes in my house. Now that he has left for college, I have no books to use. I’m trying to run a campaign with my other siblings, but I’m stuck on what system to start with. I’m either leaning towards Pathfinder (beginner box), or 5e D&D (starter set). Which system is better (pros and cons) and which starter set should I buy? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out!

Well I thought I would reply to the points on the OP...  

First thought was... you have been playing D&D (2nd-5e)... are you and your group set on a fantasy setting?  I would also ask (since these two flavors of high fantasy offer different things to a group)... what does your group want to try?  Along with that, what about the recent games of 5e did you find to be good... or conversely... irritating?  A simple pro v. con list for you and your group could help point you in a direction as well.  Some folks like crunch...some others like to keep it lite.  As a GM do you have a preference?  These are all important questions of course... so just make sure you have a good consensus from the group you plan to play with - before making the leap and going with one game system or the other.

Other thoughts, I have played lots and lots of RPG's... various sorts of fantasy, or sci-fi and modern.  The key for any of these for me and my groups has been the system.  At setting should be reflected in the system - but should always be something comfortable for you and your group.  Make sure the system fits your style - the flavor is window-dressing - an is easily dealt with - so that isn't something I would worry to hard about.

Not sure about a flavor?  This is where digital is king - get some "quick start" pdfs and try a couple sessions - compare and contrast with your group... find something that works for you.  After you have settled on the flavor or brand - I would insist that you pick up a printed copy of the rule book (5e D&D would include Players, DM guide and a monster manual).  Other game systems may have other choices or just one book.  Look around, if possible make a trek to a LGS with your group to pick through selections - see what sparks your interest.  Then look for something simple to get some play testing in for your group.  Try before you Buy... maybe sit in on a group - borrow a book or something if your unsure.  

Bottom line, be choosy... no really ... find something that you like to GM... and the group likes to play.  Odds are, a young group will be playing this system for a long time lol.  There are lots of great systems out there.  Some do a few things well - with the setting they are made for... but don't do so well with things they were not.  I'd be weary of systems that don't have a setting in mind IMO, I'd rather have a well supported and well crafted system over a jack of all traits system.  Not to say some of those aren't great ... some are really good lol.

Anyhow, I hope this discussion is helping you settle on a game system lol.

-d