T9A OFCC 2018

Finally got my hobby area in some semblance of order last night. Hopefully I can find some time to get stuff primed between tonight / Saturday. Been messing with lists, looks like I would need to paint:

3 characters
31 Dwarves
36 Goblins
20 "Orcs"
4 Artillery pieces
10 Fire Ghosts
+ some unit fillers.

Might toy around with replacing the Titan Mortars with... something else, so I don't have to build the crew... squeezing an Ogre + 3 Dwarves on those bases with the mortar itself... bleh.

What? Why? My crew just hangs around the artillery piece. 

If time is the enemy, don't waste it trying to fit the WYSIWYG crew on a 60mm round.

When I've had to paint stuff recently, I typically break it down into tasks. Base everything, prime, base coat, etc. I'd like to say I use these to keep on schedule, but realistically I use it to know how screwed I'll be the night before the tournament.

5 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

That's how my Lizardmen got painted. You can still see what I never finished :D.

Was a 40 hour marathon or something with @Peanut. We drank an insane amount of stovetop espresso, took a day off work, picked up like 6 hours of sleep, then went to the tournament.

Good times

Man, those were good times!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

I wanted to give a shout out to @Orson for the game we got in 2 weeks ago! I forgot to thank you formally on the forums! I would love to see that list at OFCC this year!! I didn't get to test my true metal against your camel cataphracts!

Well thank you, your Slann firestorm wasn't anything to sniff at either. But with luck I'll bring it to OFCC with the imperial guard instead.

• Like 2

Hey there my peoples!

What are you working on in preparation for this OFCC? I decided for the FIRST TIME, to run a skink caster on a flying palanquin. This means I must actually paint the model (the old teto'eko). Turns out, I lost his left arm somewhere... BUT T9A was awesome enough to give a special rule to the palaquin which is "Plaque of the snake god". I decided to make a little modification, and I think this is super fitting!

What are you working on?

IMG_1166.jpg

• Like 2

Bad news man! I'm not going to be able to pick up my ticket for OFCC this year.

...until the 15th. I have to wait until the 15th. Got billz to pay, son.

In less bad news though:

1.) It sounds like there's going to be a contingent of players coming up from California for OFCC! No idea how many, I've heard 3, but happy to have our even more southern brothers join us up here in Vancouver, the Land of the Applebees!

2.) I've been invited to join in on some conference calls with the team planning on re-starting the US Masters for 9th Age! And there's talk about OFCC being a qualifying event! More info will come as I hear it!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Bad news man! I'm not going to be able to pick up my ticket for OFCC this year.

...until the 15th. I have to wait until the 15th. Got billz to pay, son.

In less bad news though:

1.) It sounds like there's going to be a contingent of players coming up from California for OFCC! No idea how many, I've heard 3, but happy to have our even more southern brothers join us up here in Vancouver, the Land of the Applebees!

2.) I've been invited to join in on some conference calls with the team planning on re-starting the US Masters for 9th Age! And there's talk about OFCC being a qualifying event! More info will come as I hear it!

Pahahahahahaha OFCC being a qualifier for what? How much alcohol we can consume in 2 days? If it at all got competitive for qualifying etc that would put me right off. And that really isn’t in the OFCC frame of mind is it? 

5 minutes ago, splinx said:

Pahahahahahaha OFCC being a qualifier for what? How much alcohol we can consume in 2 days? If it at all got competitive for qualifying etc that would put me right off. And that really isn’t in the OFCC frame of mind is it? 

I guess I don’t understand the concern? 9th Age isn’t Warhammer. Warhammer was a very unbalanced gaming system that allowed people to bring really “hard” lists. We had to bring Swedish comp in the last year of WHFB at OFCC because of it. 9th Age isn’t perfect, but there isn’t really any boogyman “net lists” to worry about. 9th Age is so small, especially up there in the PNW, I can’t see how an event that pulls in <20 people is going to become a “no holds barred” event, lol.

Don’t forget that the singles WHFB at OFCC were qualifying events for the Masters too, but that didn’t ruin OFCC. Most people try to win their games, some more than others. Has always been like that, in my experience. I’ve played against people very intent on winning their games, and I’ve played against people that just wanted to drink some beers and throw some dice, and it has always been a great time.

The whole spirit of ofcc historically is to go and have some fun, roll some dice and not have overly competitive lists. Hence the checking lists for being too strong etc that the 40k crew has had over the last 6 yrs plus. Ofcc was set up not to be competitive at all but as you mentioned later to drink, be merry and have some funny games of Warhammer. I had some great games last year with super relaxed people and if that changed and I had to play competitive players that were there purely to compete for qualification etc I would rather give them the game and go drink with fellow minded folks. Maybe this year get a head count of who is there and would want it to be a competitive qualification event and those who just want it to remain a relaxed event for 9th age. My point of view however may be totally moot as I am unsure if I can even make it this year at the moment.

i don’t think the lists per say can be overpowered but the whole event resides around being good natured and fun, add in a serious amount of competitive folk and it may turn sour pretty quick. Just my 2 cent. 

Fair points sir! I apologize if I seemed dismissive of your post, not my intention. I have no desire to see OFCC become an “win at all costs” type of event. I do see your concerns.

I see the revival of the US Masters and a chance for people in the PNW to being to participate as nothing but positive; Our community is small, and OFCC is one of only two 9th Age event in the Northwest this year. It will likely be the only event next year, as I’m probably not going to run March to War again. My hope was that getting our community involved in something like the US Masters would help boost interest in 9th Age in our region.

Everyone playing 9th Age these last few years has been such a great group of people, I have a hard time imagining the chance of being able to be part of something like the US Masters turning them into jerks. I also have a hard time imagining a large influx of super competitive playing showing up out of nowhere to beat up on us poor North Westerners, lol.

But I wouldn’t want this to be something to happen to 9th Age at OFCC without the community’s input, for sure. Maybe this is something where the winner of “Best Sportsmanship” would be considered the “winner” in terms of qualifying for the Masters. I haven’t actually talked with anyone yet, it was just something that was mentioned to me by a committee member, which I shared here try to build up some hype!  

I am totally with you wanting to give 9th Age more attraction and try to get some more players into the mix. And I love the idea of best sportsman of an OFCC specific award being given as winner to qualify which would promote the atmosphere needed and stop anyone thinking of power gaming to come along purely for the qualification spot. As it’s so community based I guess a vote could be put up and answered by all the ofcc players on how they want it to role. 

From the discussions regarding US Maters I have seen on the T9A forums, there appeared to be a lot of interest of making the "masters" part a sub event of the overall event. By this I mean, the comp players get to play in the comp player battle, and the rest of us get to do our thing. Why the masters tag? I think this is a nostalgic link to the past that should be cherished.

Having met most of our T9A players, I feel I can safely say that most of us dont have the time/energy/money to pursue US masters. Therefore even if OFCC became a qualifying event, it would not change our mindsets. We all play this game and look forward to OFCC for different reasons. We let Swiss matchmaking put the serious gamers up against the serious gamers, and the casuals against the casuals.

I'd love to have a person I could root for to represent Oregon/Washington, and stick it to those other 48 states. The question is, which one of you would choose to rise to the challenge?

Rant aside, sportsmanship award as the nominee is pretty dang clever.

• 2 weeks later...