40K OFCC Team Event - Conversation starts here!

evil_bryan

Well my really strong preference is team v team.  I think it's what OFCC made it's name doing.

I already know that Forge World will be allowed but...  Reasonable limitations would be nice.  When I've attended, it has been with the idea of getting good games in, not getting shell shocked by the latest thing I have no idea about.  Again, I expect exactly zero to come of my request but at least I made it.  OFCC was once the place where better and less "Ah ha!" games could be played.  I hope it is this year.

6 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I already know that Forge World will be allowed but...  Reasonable limitations would be nice.  When I've attended, it has been with the idea of getting good games in, not getting shell shocked by the latest thing I have no idea about.  Again, I expect exactly zero to come of my request but at least I made it.  OFCC was once the place where better and less "Ah ha!" games could be played.  I hope it is this year.

Why no fw? There are exactly two competitive things from fw that are undercosted or good; the raptors chapter master and fire raptors gunships.

Every thing else is either just average or way to many points.

And what? Team vrs team? So is this event/tournament like a doubles tournament?  Can I even play if I don't have a team?

I thought this was a semi casual tournament in which models should be painted and teams are present but pairings are based on individuals.

23 hours ago, evil_bryan said:

Now, in order to keep the conversation moving I would like to provide a bit of an incentive. For every page of comments that this thread reaches, I will reveal a new detail about the event in advance of the full event posting thread. 

Hmmm...as I recall, the "best" way to increase the page count is with lots of Memes and other bandwidth wasting quotes or photos. Pretre's usually the king of putting memes and photos in every post. Should get him to post, then we can all quote him, possibly with related Memes. Then Pretre can quote us... That should be a page or so.

Or did you mean to add that you are looking for on-topic comments?

2 minutes ago, spagunk said:

I like my army's position better this year versus last year but I am still on the fence about attending. The people were great, but my matchup was...interesting.

Matchups are always going to be an issue in 40k. The team setup helps mitigate that if he does captain matchups, but it never completely eliminates it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Hmmm...as I recall, the "best" way to increase the page count is with lots of Memes and other bandwidth wasting quotes or photos. Pretre's usually the king of putting memes and photos in every post. Should get him to post, then we can all quote him, possibly with related Memes. Then Pretre can quote us... That should be a page or so.

Or did you mean to add that you are looking for on-topic comments?

You+summoned+me+_376a74a52ae623e15bfd217

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a more on-topic comment, could we consider a cap on units with buckets of complex special rules? 

No issues with FW, but there are definitely units within that include far too many rules to explain at the start of every game. Not all of them, and sometimes it's just weapon options, and it's not only FW - just seems that in line with keeping the game fun, it would be nice to not need to sift through enemy explainations to understand what the opponent has brought to the table. Often an issue with armies that have lots of special characters too. 

Don't mind a few, or just duplicates of the same, but facing an opponent where every unit requires actually owning the army and playing many games in order to really understand, does present as a time wasting addition to the game.

Maybe this would be too hard to regulate. Hmmm...maybe just a hard cap on different types of units (as per their unit entry, not each loadout).

But if I ask and answer the question aloud, there is a chance that my answer is wrong and someone corrects me. And I win if the answer gained is correct, since the goal is to have a correct answer to my question, no matter who it comes from. 

Oh, can we allow the Chapter Approved LR variants and the custom LR rules?

I've not really read them very thoughly, but being able to use them would be enough to justify finally buying that book. And would be a fun project for a casual event like the OFCC. 

Thought for rules interconnectivity limitations... what if we limit the stratagems to a single deck? You can choose which deck really applies to your list from among the decks available to it based on detachments. 

This would curb morty abuse either he can first turn charge with limited help to the rest of the force or you get all the awesome death guard buffing strategems. Eliminating some combos and super moves but not all of them. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

This would curb morty abuse either he can first turn charge with limited help to the rest of the force or you get all the awesome death guard buffing strategems. Eliminating some combos and super moves but not all of them. 

If the main concern is Morty, why not ban him specifically rather than nerfing all the other armies?

Just asking, I have yet to face Morty so I have no clue if he as impressive as advertised. But if all the main concern is over a single model, or even just a couple of models, doesn't seem logical to nerf everyone over a few bad apples.

Just now, pretre said:

Comp in a nutshell.

bad_apple-300x156.jpg

And that's why you don't store all the apples in one bunch...

If there's a balance concern and it really is just one or two models, just ban them. They've done it for specific super-heavies in the past, no reason extending that to characters would be a huge problem. Special Characters used to be banned from play for the longest time, too. 5th, I think, was the first edition to allow use of special characters without having to ask special permission of your opponent.

If morty isn't the only issue and it really is an issue of most codexes, or a bunch of units, or an entire army, then sure, nerf them all.