We Evolved From Chaos Spawn (Pax's Tyranids)

My Tyranids. Started this army in 7th ed just due to frustration with bug players never fielding units I wanted to see. Army is almost entirely Armorcast and Metal. No flying bugs. Not finished painting by a longshot, but I wanted a break from chaos marines (a break from playing them, I'll still be painting them). Not sure which tyranid hive fleet I'm running. Paint Scheme is how I was doing Chaos Spawn for a Tzeentch army I no longer have... 

Present list of models:

1x Hive Tyrant 

3 tyrant guard

2-3 Venom Thropes

3 Exocrines. 

20-40 Hornagaunts

10-20 Gargoyles

2 Sporocysts (Plastic)

2 Muclids Mines

Many Spore Mines. 

6-9 Raveners

2 lictors 

1 Zoan/neurothrope.

3 screamer killers.

3 Haruspex (2 complete, 1 missing arms)

1 Dactlyis (missing arms) which I use as a Counts As "Maleceptor"

Very late, but this will be my list for Happy's Winter Warzone pod #2. I'll need a proxy or something for the Hive Guard, but should otherwise be fine provided I can figure out how to transport them.

Hive Fleet Kronos 2k

Hive Fleet Kronos Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ - "Herald of the Evolved Spawn" Hive Tyrant (Pincer, Monstrous Rending Claws, Stranglethorn Cannon) 143+25=168pts

Elites - Hive Guard (6, Impaler Cannons) 108+180=288

Heavy Support - Exocrine 216

Subtotal: 1104

Hive Fleet Kronos Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ - "Old Man Zoan" Neurothrope 70

Heavy Support - Screamer Killer (2 Monstrous Scything Talons) 90+15=105

Subtotal: 385

Fortification Detachment (+0 CP)

Fortification - Imperial Bastion (4 Heavy Bolters) 160+32=192

Fortification - Vengeance Battery (1, Quad Icarus Lascannon) 80+70=150pts

Fortification - Vengeance Battery (1, Quad Icarus Lascannon) 80+70=150pts

Subtotal: 492pts

Total: 1981pts (5 CP)

Found some cheap Malefactors on ebay, ordered 1, I'll have maybe 2 if I win that second one. No clue what those will count as. I've also started a "Giant Spore Mine" which will be a counts as Tyrannocyte. And wow, sure glad I bought most of my tyranids in 7th, the ebay prices are crazy high right now for most things. 

Still can't find the Hormagaunts or the Gargoyles. They're here somewhere...

Started Painting the hive tyrant. 

Don't really own/have assembled enough good troops to do this one right, but this army is much more transportable....Proxies include the second neruothrope and 3 rippers. I do need to find bases for several models...

Hive Fleet Kronos 2k

Hive Fleet Kronos Brigade Detachment (+9 CP)

HQ - "Herald" Hive Tyrant (Stranglethorn Cannon) 143+25=168pts

HQ - Neurothrope 70

Elites - Tyrant Guard (3, 3 Crushing Claws, 3 Rending Claws) 105+36+6=147pts

Elites - Lictor (1, Rending Claws, Flesh Hooks) 41+2+2=45pts

Elites - Lictor (1, Rending Claws, Flesh Hooks) 41+2+2=45pts

Elites - Maleceptor (Massive Scything Talons) 162+10=172pts

Troops - Hormagaunts (11) 50pts

Troops - Hormagaunts (10) 50pts

Troops - Rippers (3) 33pts

Fast - Spore Mines (4) 40pts

Fast - Mucloid Mines (1) 20pts

Fast - Mucloid Mines (1) 20pts

Heavy Support - Screamer Killer (1, 2 Monstrous Scything Talons) 90+15=105

Total: 1997pts (12 CP)

6 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Are the Hormies that size cuz that's what you own?

Kinda, more like, that's what I own AND is base-able (these are the metal ones, so when they break off the base they require pinning). I have about 30 or 40 metal ones total, but having trouble locating all of them. Troops have been a challenge to get in metal, both due to cost and to rarity of some of the types (all the tyranid troops can be bought in metal, but some are incredibly rare, while others are just listed too high a price).

Might have to break down and buy/trade for some plastics...

And the Brigade bonus was a consideration, though I have no real plans with the command points.

Anyway, plan is not a Brigade. I'll be doing 2 Spearheads (or maybe a vanguard and spearhead) and 1 Fortification once I figure out how to transport my Sporocysts (that model seems designed to be impossible to transport) and get the Haruspexes (Haruspexi?) built. I plan to field no more than 4 troops choices if I can help it (9 rippers in one unit, 0-2 units of horms, and maybe 1 unit of warriors). Might be including a bastion in the final list, too. 

33 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Just a dab of Haru Spice on my eggs?

I was thinking kind of the same thing. It'd probably go better on tripe, haggis, or sweetbreads*, tho ;)

In Roman times, a Haruspex was an oracle who read the future in the entrails of sacrificed animals. So Haru Spices would go well on foods made from those.

Got a game in. 1st game of the second cycle for winter warzone. Like the first game of last cycle, I lost. Major learning experience. Opponent was Ninefinger's Orks. Slow game due to my ineptitude with tyranids. I did get all the secondary objectives. 

Main issues: basically, the units that aren't part of my planned army did really badly, and the units that I didn't field because they aren't done yet or aren't transportable, were the exact units I really needed this game....So bad with easy fixes. Point by point:

-Didn't really have any high strength melee or ranged units. Had S7, but really needed a few reliable S8 weapons. This will be mostly fixed by including the planned 3 Haruspices, but I'm also thinking it may be wise to alter the screamer-killers into carnifexen with Venom Cannons. 

-Despite having 4 psykers, I didn't really have a plan for how to use psychic powers and the opponent didn't have any to deny, so I ran into issues where I think they underpreformed. Final list will only have 3 psykers, but I do need to create a better plan for using them psykers. They were still very helpful, just clearly not to their potential. 

-Stratagems were a disaster. Just kept forgetting to use them or just not being able to use them to my advantage. I think I only spent 5 of 12 command points. 

-The mines were a huge waste. I made the mistake of deep striking them. In hindsight, I think they actually should be deployed with the army, since they don't risk hitting allies and they draw fire without penalizing my game. I also want to get more Biovores and figure out how to transport my sporocysts.

-Rippers were probably MVP, but only because the rest of the army didn't do great. One of the secondary objectives was to put units in every corner, this was something they could do easily. Also performed the assassination of an enemy character (biker mek boy).

-Hormagaunts were lacking, but also very cheap and very mobile. I think it will take a few tries to get value out of this unit. 

-Hive Tyrant took the Balethorn Cannon artefact. Meh. Opponent didn't really have the right combination of good invulnerable saves and no armor saves to really test this one properly. It killed orks, but everything kills orks....Might try another one next time. 

-Tyrant Guard were also meh. Opponent didn't shoot at the hive tyrant and they could seem to hit very well with crushing claws. Might need a cheaper loadout or just ditch this unit. Spendy unit did not earn it's points.

-Lictors. They did also rather meh. Certainly the -1 to hit was impressive in how many shots were required to kill them, but they didn't really kill their points worth of models. Probably won't include in the final list. 

- Stratagems are pretty important to any Army with a Codex. If you don't have the Datacards set for the Army, you should consider at least making some cards or a sheet with the ones you're likely to use.

- Rippers are awesome. They never really kill much, but they're amazing for sitting somewhere out of sight and racking up Points for Objectives, Recon, Linebreaker, etc.

- Being cheap and mobile is Hormagaunts' real job. The claws are sometimes actually a distraction from their actual purpose. Especially in small Units like this. You really need a Brood of 25-30 or so to actually threaten anything.

- Tyrant Guard should absolutely be kept cheap. The only thing I might add to them is Adrenal Glands. They don't have enough Attacks or a good enough WS to make up for the -1 from Crushing Claws. And frankly, their main job is to get shot, anyhow, not to actually do damage themselves.

- Lictors, I think, are kind of where they were in 7th: Either you take like 6+ of them (probably including DeathLeaper), or don't really bother. With just a couple, the only thing they're reliably usable for is Objective grabbing, but Rippers usually do that better. Yet another Unit that I really wish could take Adrenal Glands.

10 hours ago, WestRider said:

- Stratagems are pretty important to any Army with a Codex. If you don't have the Datacards set for the Army, you should consider at least making some cards or a sheet with the ones you're likely to use.

With the CSM, I found myself using the same stratagems over and over, not really needing to know what the others do because my army just doesn't really need them. Haven't found the cards needed for my CSM. For bugs, I am considering getting the cards, though if I field the same army every time, I'll get used to them and it might not be needed. 

Okay, so the projected, final list, should be something like:

Hive Fleet Kronos 2k

Hive Fleet Kronos Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ - "Herald" Hive Tyrant (Stranglethorn Cannon) 143+25=168

Elites - Maleceptor (Massive Scything Talons) 162+10=172

Subtotal: 988

Hive Fleet Kronos Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

Elites - Haruspex 198

Elites - Haruspex 198

Heavy Support - Carnifex (1, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon, 1 Monstrous Crushing Claws) 67+25+12=-104

Heavy Support - Carnifex (1, 1 Heavy Venom Cannon, 1 Monstrous Crushing Claws) 67+25+12=-104

Subtotal: 778

Hive Fleet Kronos Fortification Detachment (+0 CP)

Sporocyst (5 Deathspitters) 79+25=104

Sporocyst (5 Deathspitters) 79+25=104

Subtotal: 208

Total: 1974pts (5 CP)

Just now, InfestedKerrigan said:

And then you ditch the brigade.

I said I was going to. Was only running the brigade because I don't have the haruspex models done and I can't figure out how to transport the sporocysts. 

4 hours ago, paxmiles said:

With the CSM, I found myself using the same stratagems over and over, not really needing to know what the others do because my army just doesn't really need them. Haven't found the cards needed for my CSM. For bugs, I am considering getting the cards, though if I field the same army every time, I'll get used to them and it might not be needed. 

It's more for the first few Games, so you've got a reminder. After that, as you say, you'll get a feel for which ones you use, and won't need it.

19 hours ago, WestRider said:

It's more for the first few Games, so you've got a reminder. After that, as you say, you'll get a feel for which ones you use, and won't need it.

Not quite what I meant. With CSM only a few Stratagems really apply to the army I'm fielding. And most require rather obscure context for use. Part of this perspective is certainly related to the units I use. 

The tyranid stratagems are almost all useful for my army, which makes it harder to keep track of them. I might be buying the deck for tyranids (and thousand sons for that matter), but I don't see the need for the CSM one. That's all.