New to Portland/40k/Ordo

Kakos

Hello everyone.

I've recently relocated from Florida to Portland and as I don't know anyone in this city I wanted to take a brief moment to introduce my self.

I'm a new player, more or less. I used to run DA and IG armies back in the 3rd/4th editions era but I haven't played since then. I started to pick up the modeling aspect of the hobby again during 7th edition and now after a long absence from playing the TT game I've decided to get back into it wholeheartedly.

The army I'm building is still very much a WIP but it won't take too much more time for it to be playable. I'm really looking forward to playing my first game soon (hopefully) and meeting the local community here. 

Happy wargaming

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That was a fairly accurate guess. I'm from Panama City Beach originally, which is approximately two hours east of Pensacola. I've lived in quite a few different areas in the US and I can assure you that Florida isn't high on my list of preferred places to be. Luckily the salt zombies are essentially exclusive to South Florida. 

I'm somewhat torn on what I want to play. Word Bearers, Thousand Sons, and an Imperial Agents themed list are currently my top choices.

Due to my indecision I decided to just build a Tau army for now while I get back into the swing of things. 

• Haha 1

Don't know if you caught it, but Tau are the next release. Doesn't look like new models, yet, though. Soon, I'm sure! I like fighting robots  (*megaman! Fighting to save.....*) and Anime, so Tau are an appealing aesthetic. That or a Wraith Eldar list. 

Word Bearers summoning daemons? If undecided, obvious easy tie in with the 1k Daemons. Also, depending on how many points/dollars you're looking at investing into each force. 

I had a similar problem, and my solution was to start painting everything the same. :laugh:

I noticed that they get their Codex this month on the warhammer community page. I'll be preordering it so I'll probably hold off on my first game till I have that in hand. I really dig their aesthetic too and remember wanting to play them back when they were first released.  I'm a fan of anime as well but I really place the bulk of the blame on all those hours spent playing mechwarriors when I was younger.

Honestly not sure. I've never played or built a non-imperium army before I started working on the current tau one. If I did daemons I would probably go slaanesh. What's not to like about hordes of daemonettes? 

All of the 40k factions are so rad that it makes picking just one nigh-impossible. What are you currently running? 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the region and ordo!

Places of note:

Western Oregon wargamers (wow),  House of ordo.  See OFCC.

Guardian Games,  downtown'ish, great selection and many other games to boot.  Also, beer.  

Screen door.  Restaurant.  Burnside and 60th'ish.  Silly good fried chicken.  Just say'n :)

Have a good weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BattleTech was my first table top game when I was 10. And MechWarrior 2/Mercs I'd still be playing if I had a computer (anyone know of emulator for galaxy s7). That's a huge factor in my playing Imperial Knights. I have Deathguard (1k), Khorne Demons (1k), Chaos Space Marines (3k), Primaris Marines (2k), Space Marines  (3k), Custodes (2k), Knights (2k), AdMech (1k) and maybe 750 pts of Tempestus. I'm focusing on my Custodes and Primaris at the moment. Looking to downsize before long, I'm sure.

Thanks for the recommendations, Pestilence. I'll be sure to give them a look. GG sounds rad. Back in FL beer hammer seemed exclusive to house games or after hours at the FLGS.

Woah. I commend you sir. That's a pretty impressive list of grimdark goodness. How do the Knights fair in 8th edition for you? I keep seeing posts that seem to suggest that large walkers/monstrous creatures are having a hard time staying alive in this edition. 

It depends on your opponents lists, as much as anything else, I find. I like running all Knights.  People still have A LOT of baggage from 2 editions ago, which was an entirely different game, and can't practice forgiveness seven let alone seventy seven times. Pretty poor Christians.  I don't know if they ARE Christian. Just saying, pretty poor ones if they are. 

Anyway, there is a lot of intimidation factor with Knights, and people making bad calls as a result. In the Tourney scene, you see people prepared, and knowing, generally, how to play against them.

I think they are awesome! I support Knight and Titans! They are fun to build, fun to paint, and the gods know less bookkeeping means more time playing! Why else would we have CPAs?

Welcome. 

12 hours ago, Kakos said:

How do the Knights fair in 8th edition for you? I keep seeing posts that seem to suggest that large walkers/monstrous creatures are having a hard time staying alive in this edition. 

8th really helped the issues with prior editions by making Titans *only* as powerful as a giant unit of strong guys. If the opponent has weapons that can reliably wound the Titanic model (usually T8), and has the ability remove lots of wounds from a single model target, then the titan dies pretty quick. I've lost my knight to single round of shooting via 3 units of long fangs with lascannons. A giant unit of Terminators with a character would probably die just as fast to the same weapons. Meanwhile, 10 or so units of Ork Gretchin would laugh at the lascannons and eventually shoot the long fangs to death with their crappy pistols....

The army design is sort of a gamble. You need a balance of weapons that harm low wound numerous models, and then you also need weapons that reliably damage high toughness creatures with lots of wounds. The opponent then attempts to eliminate whichever of the two is a larger threat their army, while you do the same to them. There are usually objectives involved too....but that's the gist of it.  

As a TAU player, you also have the issue of coping with psykers, which since TAU presently has no psychic defense at all, "coping" means either killing them swiftly or avoiding them. For a new player, it is very important to understand that the CHARACTER rule that protects themselves from shooting, doesn't apply in the psychic phase, so careful positioning needs to be observed when dealing with enemy psykers or they'll "snipe" your characters off the table early on. The cornerstone "Smite" power only affects the closest target, but other powers exist where closest is not required. Good news is that most psychic powers have pretty short range.

Things may change substantially with the Codex, or might just be minor tweaks.  Rumor is we will be limited to one commander per detachment because of commander spam lists.  Rumor is also that the Riptide will become useable with the codex.  Third thing that seems to be the case is a point reduction in most models, so I'll be needing to buy more stuffs to field at the same points value, as I just barely have 2k with my current models.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:15 AM, Psilence said:

Screen door.  Restaurant.  Burnside and 60th'ish.  Silly good fried chicken.  Just say'n :)

Yikes, if you are on 60th and Burnside you are just gonna find houses :)  Try more like 24th and E Burnside...

@Kakos

In other news, welcome to Portland.  What part of the area are you living in?  That will help determine your best options for getting some games in for sure :)

• Haha 2

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

It makes sense that their survivability would be circumstantial depending on what they're going up against. I have a Knight and recently acquired a storm surge. It would be a shame If such awesome models weren't viable options. Any tricks to help the large walkers stay alive against lascannon (or their equivalent) heavy armies? 

@andozane

I've got a place in NE Portland. I'm approximately a 5-7 minute drive from GG and pretty much within walking distance of The Portland Game Store. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kakos said:

It makes sense that their survivability would be circumstantial depending on what they're going up against. I have a Knight and recently acquired a storm surge. It would be a shame If such awesome models weren't viable options. Any tricks to help the large walkers stay alive against lascannon (or their equivalent) heavy armies? 

If you outrange the lascannons, you could just sit back and shoot them. Not all titan builds have the range for this, but that is an option. Lascannons have 48", so it really depends on the table and the deployment of the lascannon teams. 

Opponent can't shoot into melee, so if the opponent has something that will likely survive melee with your titan, you can attempt to "hide" in melee. In 8th, this only works if you can deny the opponent a path to fall back, so usually doesn't work against models with FLY.

Penalities to hit can work here too. 

Though the more common tactic is more psychological. Evaluate the target priority of your opponent and make the knight not appear to fit as a high priority target. And this can be done without knowing your specific opponent, just decide what a reasonable opponent would do, if presented with your army to deal with. If they have lascannons, they'll aim them at high toughness or good save units - and they'll target the biggest threat first. So if your knight is the only high toughness/good save target on the table, expect it to die quickly to enemy shooting via lascannons just because every lascannon will focus on it. 

Though if playing with noobs, regarding the psychological one, new players will often target your best painted model, the model you declare as your favorite, or your biggest model, without regard to viability of attack... 

37 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Vox Paxcana

That would be so aweful: some internet nerd compiling everything you've ever said on the internet and start preaching it as gospel, as if you're some larger than life character that puts great thought into every post to make them all profound....