3d Printer User's Group

J1 had a glass bed, but the default side is rough and the other is smooth. Used the rough side for the print. So as an update, I tried to use an exacto to slide under the mass, and was able to get it there, but the blade was too bendy. Got my model tool out and the whole thing popped right off. Just needed to find the right leverage point I guess. So the model came out great...a few scratches and marks on it from my mangling, but otherwise it was a success. I'll adjust my support settings to those recommended and hope that next time its not such an issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ugh, okay, that was a total and complete fail. Test build did not stick to the plate at all. I got two disks on the bottom of the vat. I followed the leveling instructions that came with the device. I put in my level paper, lowered the plate, and raised it up a .001 mm at a time until I could pull the paper out with resistance. However, a video I saw said you shouldn't be able to pull out the paper...so not sure if that was the problem or not.

Then I learned about cleaning up my build plate and the vat. Where is the best place to do that. I used my laundryroom sink...but it took quite a bit of cleaning to get the sink back to normal. Maybe I need to find a better place to clean that stuff?

So once all of the cleaning was done, I've re-leveled the plate this time so that I can't move the paper. Will try again, but not today. Need to clear out the fumes from my basement first.

1: However, a video I saw said you shouldn't be able to pull out the paper...

This is correct  Assume the base of the supports "absorb" any initial layers that are too thin.  With a plate that big You should have a 30-40 second cure time.

2:  used my laundryroom sink...

Never, ever do this.  Resin should be treated like motor oil.  Toxic.  You need a closed loop cleaning system and need to consider proper disposal of the used up IPA.

Regarding the fumes, this is why I use water washable resin.

• Thanks 1

okay, so checked my printer, and the exposure was set at 15. Now I went onto elegoo's site and looked up their printer/resin settings and across the board, the exposure for the Jupiter is at least 30. So why the [big bad swear word] is the printer set to 15???? Seriously....why would you have it set there? Ugh, so I've changed it, I've also purchased some water washable resin. But I'll continue my testing with the ABS resin until I get something working. Thanks for the advice and help...

Okay, tapping the hive mind for wisdom - I moved my resin printer down to the basement and ever since then, the prints have been failing. Every single damn time. I put a heater on the resin vat, because the ambient temperature down there stays consistently around 65 degrees. I tried using fresh resin, I've re-leveled the bed half a dozen times. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is going on. I get bed adhesion for the first layer or so, and then it just fails to cure. If I had hair left, I'd be pulling it out. Halp!

• 3 months later...

j1 snapmaker - dual head FDM printer....right now I just print using one head at a time. I recently ran out of the filament that the printer came with, and bought some creality spools and made sure they had the same specs as the filament I previously used. That being said, I've had some issues.

1) the new stuff seems much more brittle. I printed my first piece..all went well, but two thin poles on it snapped off immediately while I was trimming excess off (this new stuff seems to leave spidersilk threads all over).

2) when trying to do multiple pieces at a time, I'm getting spaghetti. Basically, the filament stop sticking and it goes everywhere.

3) a really odd occurrence is when it seemed to go off several inches mid way during the print, so the bottom half was in the correct place, but then everything shifted to the left by two inches and it kept printing...

All of the specs of the filament matched what I previously had..but this has really got me stumped. I haven't changed any settings. I'm using snapmaker luban software.

The stuff did say value-pack, so maybe it is just a cheaper filament and not going to be very good for thin stuff, but just in case, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else had thoughts that could help.

Anyone have any good recommendations for free STL's for 40k terrain (ruins, etc)? Making a home table set with PLA (nothing fancy). Easier to print the better. Mainly, just not looking to invest in 'STL's' unless you 'really think they're worth it, or cheaper.

Other than standard 40k, i'd also love some 'necron' themed stuff. 

Just so many things i'm finding, and figured some people might have 'favorites' 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, Brother Glacius said:

j1 snapmaker - dual head FDM printer....right now I just print using one head at a time. I recently ran out of the filament that the printer came with, and bought some creality spools and made sure they had the same specs as the filament I previously used. That being said, I've had some issues.

1) the new stuff seems much more brittle. I printed my first piece..all went well, but two thin poles on it snapped off immediately while I was trimming excess off (this new stuff seems to leave spidersilk threads all over).

2) when trying to do multiple pieces at a time, I'm getting spaghetti. Basically, the filament stop sticking and it goes everywhere.

3) a really odd occurrence is when it seemed to go off several inches mid way during the print, so the bottom half was in the correct place, but then everything shifted to the left by two inches and it kept printing...

All of the specs of the filament matched what I previously had..but this has really got me stumped. I haven't changed any settings. I'm using snapmaker luban software.

The stuff did say value-pack, so maybe it is just a cheaper filament and not going to be very good for thin stuff, but just in case, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else had thoughts that could help.

Hmmm do you have a filament dehydrator?  sounds like funky filament - like "moist" filament. I would also clean your build bed with dawn and warm water ... if you can remove it. 

But I think you probably have a bad batch of old filament.

-d

23 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

Anyone have any good recommendations for free STL's for 40k terrain (ruins, etc)? Making a home table set with PLA (nothing fancy). Easier to print the better. Mainly, just not looking to invest in 'STL's' unless you 'really think they're worth it, or cheaper.

Other than standard 40k, i'd also love some 'necron' themed stuff. 

Just so many things i'm finding, and figured some people might have 'favorites' 

I find the free stuff on Printables or Thingiverse or sometimes on Cults. My Mini Factory also has a few things for free. 

Other than that - Printable Terrain has some decently priced stuff. 3D Alien Worlds has some decent stuff as well ( I have picked up some Japanese & Eldar terrain from them). They have some Necron themed stuff as well.

I will try to think of some others - but I find searching google images - with your descriptor and a ".stl" in the name helps get started.

-d

• Thanks 1

So my birthday is coming up, and with it, my partner is bugging me about gift ideas. I'm starting to think I'd like to upgrade my FDM printer; that stupid Ender 3 Pro I have spends more time just sitting there doing nothing because it's constantly in need of tweaking and tinkering and calibrating and god only knows what sort of dark voodoo to get it to work right. I'm thinking about asking for a new printer, since tech has advanced considerably in the last 5 years or so since I got it, and I'm looking at other options for something more reliable and plug and play. Budget is preferably less than $300; I'm looking at a  Sovol SVO6 right now, but the Elegoo Neptune 3 has caught my eye as well, as has the Anycubic Kobra 2 Neo (just for the price, but I see a lot of negativity around the original Kobra Neo, so I'm kinda steering away from that.) Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?