3d Printer User's Group

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I was looking at an Ender 5 for a replacement for that Monoprice I had, but I shied away because of the lack of thermal runaway protection. Does the plus have it?

🤷‍♂️ you'd have to check the stats. It prints the volume I'm wanting/needing, so I bit after exploring other 305mm+ for a few days.  I don't recall hearing it mentioned one way or the other in any of the reviews I watched. 

Best I can tell,  it is likely a 5 with a larger build plate.  The 5 Pro may address it. Not sure the diff between 5 and 5pro, since neither were large enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Based on @evil_bryan 's recommendation i tried using eSun PLA+ for a while.  I then switched back to Hatchbox PLA.  I'll be switching back to eSun PLA+

Personal Observations:

I won't be using anyone's black filament ever again. I have horrible nozzle clogging problems and adhesion issues.  I've tried many different temps, flow, settings etc and I hate it.  Nothing anyone will say here will get me to use it again.  I gave my 1/2 full spool away.  I know it's weird, but there it is.

I don't know if it's the composition or the manufacturer but I get better consistency with the eSun PLA+ in Grey.

I get horrible stringing with the Hatchbox PLA, again in grey, but even that's all over the place.  On one print it's fine, on a different one with the same settings I go fuzzy.  

Hatchbox PLA white seems to be a bit more stable, but again it's not consistent.

Conclusion:

It's not an exhaustive test set, as I'm way more interested in printing for my hobby, rather than printing as my hobby.  I just want to find what works for me and stick with it.

So, back to the eSun.

Speculation:

Would clear PLA+ be even more consistent? Less additives?

On 1/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, scottshoemaker said:

Based on @evil_bryan 's recommendation i tried using eSun PLA+ for a while.  I then switched back to Hatchbox PLA.  I'll be switching back to eSun PLA+

Personal Observations:

I won't be using anyone's black filament ever again. I have horrible nozzle clogging problems and adhesion issues.  I've tried many different temps, flow, settings etc and I hate it.  Nothing anyone will say here will get me to use it again.  I gave my 1/2 full spool away.  I know it's weird, but there it is.

I don't know if it's the composition or the manufacturer but I get better consistency with the eSun PLA+ in Grey.

I get horrible stringing with the Hatchbox PLA, again in grey, but even that's all over the place.  On one print it's fine, on a different one with the same settings I go fuzzy.  

Hatchbox PLA white seems to be a bit more stable, but again it's not consistent.

Conclusion:

It's not an exhaustive test set, as I'm way more interested in printing for my hobby, rather than printing as my hobby.  I just want to find what works for me and stick with it.

So, back to the eSun.

Speculation:

Would clear PLA+ be even more consistent? Less additives?

@scottshoemaker Another PLA+ that I have had great success with is SUNLU PLA+

It also has the advantage of selling in 2 packs for ~$15 per spool - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDJRBJT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Every now and again, I like to browse through government surplus sales, police auctions, and so forth. You never know when you’ll stumble across an awesome deal (back in high school a friend of mine got a sweet Pontiac Thunderbird for less than I paid for a used Geo Metro...)

Turns our there is a Stratasys Objet30 Pro being auctioned off down in Salem. Currently the bidding is $200... Retail price on these things is north of $40,000.

Now, I’ll admit, I don’t know diddly about 3D Printers. So no promises from me that this thing is any good... But figured it was worth sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Damn, dude, those are some nice valks! Well done!

So I had a thought. Does anyone on here have a filament extruder? You know, one of the widgets where you grind up waste filament and it noodles it out as fresh stuff you can re-use? I'd love to get one, but I'm broke, and have nowhere to put one, but I feel really bad about all this waste plastic I'm generating. Failing that, anyone know a recycler in the Portland/Vancouver area that recycles PLA? I love printing stuff, but I feel super guilty about all the waste plastic I'm generating.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I spent most of my weekend printing epic stuff - dialing in my process.  I think I printed 18 chimeras, a dozen or so bombards / mortars and about 8 squat gyro copters and a few Thunderfire cannons.  I think my Epic Imperial Guard are good now - nearly all painted.  On to do some work on my Marines next I think.  So far I have not had the need to print anything for them.

ig_chimera_3d_01.jpg?w=300&h=264ig_bombards_3d_01.jpg?w=333&h=279

ig_chimera_3d_02.jpg?w=672&h=336

After all this I am starting to look at an FDM printer (filament) to complement my resin (SLA) printer.  I had gone over this before a year or so ago - I was leaning heavily to getting a Prusa MK3.  Recently I have been looking at the Enders.  But anyone have experience with both of these?  Looking for opinions on what would be a better used of my funds and time.

Currently, I am starting to think the Prusa will be a better target - just wait longer and save for the better option.

-d

• Like 2

Hmmm it would be more informative if someone had used both :)... to compare and contrast.  I have watched a couple reviews and only a couple had had both - and they leaned to the Prusa.  But the Ender price is inviting.  On the Ender side I was looking at the 3 PRO - or the 5.  But the Prusa sounded more build and go with not much fuss... and maybe a better fit for my short attention span lol.

-d

From what I've seen in the community, and with my own experience, the Prusa is a top notch printer and it is nice having the company that is on the cutting edge of the printing industry. That said, the Ender 3 is very solid and the price is hard to beat.

I have an Ultimaker 2+ and and Ender 3 Pro.

• Like 1

I have an Ender 3 Pro. Great printer, but Creality's support is a little lacking. If something is wrong with your printer, they tell you to take it up with whomever you bought it from; they only manufacture, not sell and support. That said, for the price, it's an excellent machine, and I love mine.

• Like 1