H: 4x Sets of Burning for Prospero Custodes

21 hours ago, paxmiles said:

@dalmer So if a store, like Guardian Games which has zero online sales and is in Oregon, is frequented by people from Washington, does the above make them a Remote Seller? Do they have to start charging you taxes? What makes a person a Washington Purchaser?

EDIT: I guess I'm unclear where the line is between buying things in another state, like a tourist, and buying things on the internet from a company located in another state. Aren't they both the same thing, more or less?

paxmiles,

A "remote seller" is a business that does not have a physical presence inside the state.

That's the whole basis for the "internet sales tax."  Local brick n' mortar stores were crying foul because behemoths like (insert company here) didn't have to charge folks state sales tax because they didn't have a physical store inside the state.

Example:  I buy something from (insert company here) which is based in Ohio.  No sales tax added.  I buy the same thing down the street in Washington state.  Sales tax

So now those same "remote sellers" have to charge folks sales tax if certain criteria are met.  In some cases there are exceptions, loopholes, etc.  If you as a private party (read:  not a licensed business) wanna sell some plastic figures to someone, don't worry about the sales tax... because I'm 99.9% sure you're not going to turn around and claim that as a business sale on your business taxes. 

Hope that clears it up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pretre said:

What's really going to burn your buns is when you find out about Washington use tax... 🙂

... a great example of how goofy Washington can be. 

On a side note, if anyone has ever heard of a non-business entity getting hammered on use tax for a purchase of some miniatures on a sprue, we're all doomed.

• Like 1

An additional complication is that businesses which have a location in a state are required to charge taxes for sales to that state. So amazon already was required to charge taxes for Washington customers before the ruling, since they had physical locations in Washington. The same reason that, even though I probably have less than 10k in sales to WA customers, I still have to pay sales tax.

12 hours ago, dalmer said:

paxmiles,

A "remote seller" is a business that does not have a physical presence inside the state.

That's the whole basis for the "internet sales tax."  Local brick n' mortar stores were crying foul because behemoths like (insert company here) didn't have to charge folks state sales tax because they didn't have a physical store inside the state.

Example:  I buy something from (insert company here) which is based in Ohio.  No sales tax added.  I buy the same thing down the street in Washington state.  Sales tax

So now those same "remote sellers" have to charge folks sales tax if certain criteria are met.  In some cases there are exceptions, loopholes, etc.  If you as a private party (read:  not a licensed business) wanna sell some plastic figures to someone, don't worry about the sales tax... because I'm 99.9% sure you're not going to turn around and claim that as a business sale on your business taxes. 

Hope that clears it up. 

You missed my point.

As I read it, the remote seller lacks a physical presence in the state, and the state's purchasers are based on where the purchaser lives (not where they are when they buy it, where they live).

So it seems like you could argue that washington folks physically walking into an Oregon store have to pay washington sales tax, since the oregon store has no physical presence in washington and the purchasers are from washington.

I'm not seeing an indication that this only applies to internet sales. As I read it, it applies to any sales from business that aren't in washington.

4 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

You missed my point.

As I read it, the remote seller lacks a physical presence in the state, and the state's purchasers are based on where the purchaser lives (not where they are when they buy it, where they live).

So it seems like you could argue that washington folks physically walking into an Oregon store have to pay washington sales tax, since the oregon store has no physical presence in washington and the purchasers are from washington.

I'm not seeing an indication that this only applies to internet sales. As I read it, it applies to any sales from business that aren't in washington.

There's a lot wrong with this. Remote seller definition is listed on the previous page.

Washington folks who go anywhere and don't pay WA sales tax for an item owe that tax. It's called use tax. Again, previous page.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, dalmer said:

image.png.5f68735220fc0fb44502d77607a1ea37.png

... I wouldn't worry about one sale.  But if you do tons of business I guess...

For the State of Washington, look at the "marketplace fairness" section.  We're talking established businesses that are registered. 

You mean this? That's what I'm basing this off of. Remote sellers lack a physical presence in Washington AND sell to "washington purchasers."

So, if folks from washington go out of state, they remain Washington Purchasers, as far as I can tell. And stores located outside of washington lack a presence in washington....

And nothing above suggests that this is an internet only thing.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:29 PM, paxmiles said:

Apparently that new internet tax thing that the supreme court passed* not only requires taxes on internet sales of any sort, but also lays the blame on the seller if the taxes aren't paid (despite not requiring the buyer or seller to know how this is supposed to be calculated or who we send the money to).

But I'm basing this on hearsay. Apparently, they'll be able to retroactively apply this, so the states can get "back taxes" for sales that were made when there was no tax on internet sales (Yeah, this thing seems like a legal disaster).

Definitely makes me hesitant to use paypal or craigslist or otherwise sell things online to people outside of Portland.

*Passed, yeah, apparently the supreme court passes laws these days and has the power the raise taxes.

(My apologies for commenting, feel free to move to RoC if necessary)

Read your first six words.

Then read what remote sellers means.

Add the two together and you will see that "remote seller" has to do with internet sales.  Like your search for knowledge asked for.

INTERNET.  Not "I'm driving from Washington to Portland and buying something."  It's "I live in Washington and will be taxed on something I buy on the internet from somewhere else."

36 minutes ago, dalmer said:

(My apologies for commenting, feel free to move to RoC if necessary)

Read your first six words.

Then read what remote sellers means.

Add the two together and you will see that "remote seller" has to do with internet sales.  Like your search for knowledge asked for.

INTERNET.  Not "I'm driving from Washington to Portland and buying something."  It's "I live in Washington and will be taxed on something I buy on the internet from somewhere else."

I was responding to that linked Washington thing. I agree that the intention is that they are addressing internet when talking about remote sellers, but as defined for washington above, it covers much more than just that. That was my point.

Anyway, don't mean to argue it, thought it was plain as day, but I guess not. Anyway, back to selling custodes.