5 reasons why list rating does not work, #4 will shock you!

evil_bryan

4 hours ago, scottshoemaker said:

I see OFCC as a big gamer reunion. The Marshall Johnson is a excellent Memorial that sets the tone many other events can only strive for.  As far as I know ours is the only event of its kind.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we game.

Sure, I can see how some people would see it as a reunion.  That's a legit thought of course.  But then, you need no scoring for that.  Like at all.

5 hours ago, fluger said:

If it is an event where you don't care about winning, why care if your painting isn't good.  I have yet to go to 40k OFCC with a completely painted army.  I don't give a [big bad swear word] about winning anything except best sports.  I couldn't care less.   

LH, you remain inscrutable. 

Winning wasnt the issue I raised.  It's the issue other people raised.  Attributing that to me would be a mistake.  I'm not inscrutable but I appreciate the mystery you bestow on me by suggesting it.  🙂

57 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Winning wasnt the issue I raised.  It's the issue other people raised.  Attributing that to me would be a mistake.  I'm not inscrutable but I appreciate the mystery you bestow on me by suggesting it.  🙂

You specifically stated you only recommend OFCC to people who paint well.  The reasoning being the only chance at winning the event was with a sterling paint score.  

Ergo, my confusion.  If one does not care about winning, why care about scoring?  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fluger said:

You specifically stated you only recommend OFCC to people who paint well.  The reasoning being the only chance at winning the event was with a sterling paint score.  

Ergo, my confusion.  If one does not care about winning, why care about scoring?  

The event itself cares about scoring.  Evidenced by the fact  that scoring exists.  Since the event continues to score...  the scoring should make sense.  It didn't make sense on any level two years ago and that prompts me to qualify my statements.  

What I continue to try and convey is that it isnt WINNING, as someone else that ISN'T me suggested was the issue.  It's the intrinsically more fun experience you get WHEN ratings happen.  Which is the subject of the thread, despite attempts to repeatedly inject the word winning into this equation.  I was 5-0 at the last one.  Winning wasnt my issue.  It wasnt the people...as I must again point out.  It was the actual fun of facing four of those five lists, which in no way exhibited to me anything other than that their goal WAS to win!!!  Does this clarify things? If not, I've done what I can.  I respected and liked the work done to avoid this very issue.  It was WORTH paying for to get the fun lists aspect of it.  WORTH IT.  That was an attraction.  Climbing uphill against 4 power lists on the other hand...  I can do that anywhere.  We tanked our lists repeatedly (our best job was 1,1,1,2) to live up to the standard I am bemoaning the loss of.  Wins be damned.

56 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

The event itself cares about scoring.  Evidenced by the fact  that scoring exists.  

This is incorrect.  It exists because we need to get players to attend to pay for the space.  We would prefer no scoring at all.  But again, players want it clearly.

• Like 4

It is a club challenge... with out some form of competition (and scoring) it can't sustain itself. The scoring had to exist to make to convince people to attend the first time. That and the cannon!

I'm just going to say thank you for the candid discussion of list rating and I'm super excited to continue attending for years to come now that I've found a solid set of guys to attend with. 

• Like 4

Just now, pretre said:

Really, each year is just picking who you can handle complaining.

Unsurprisingly, it is about something from the past, and involves power levels and painting/scoring grievances. 

Surprisingly, it's LH.

I support a lack of list rating. I also support playing by the book, leave ITC at the tournies.  I also support FW inclusion.

I dream of a day when a team of Knights is welcomed as warmly as a team of Sisters of Battle, or Black Templar, or any other team. End prohibition and the era of fear! Liberty! Brotherhood! For the Emperor!

• Like 1

I wouldn't go full team but a couple of players absolutely!

Funny thing is I do not support those full theme teams either. There are a great number of players and styles out there as a captain a team that brings a broad set of tools makes my job the easiest and I don't want to power shame models. Being able to change <> rules is a God send in this edition to that effect. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

I wouldn't go full team but a couple of players absolutely!

Funny thing is I do not support those full theme teams either. There are a great number of players and styles out there as a captain a team that brings a broad set of tools makes my job the easiest and I don't want to power shame models. Being able to change <> rules is a God send in this edition to that effect. 

How tight a theme becomes a problem? Just curious, because I was actually somewhat concerned about that when we decided to do the all-Chaos theme, and you have first-hand experience against that team.

7 minutes ago, WestRider said:

How tight a theme becomes a problem? Just curious, because I was actually somewhat concerned about that when we decided to do the all-Chaos theme, and you have first-hand experience against that team.

I think that becomes both subjective, and relies on the team theme. 

"The Battle of Prinuse VII" team display board with 2 Chaos players, 1 AdMech Player, 1 Knight player is going to score more soft points in that regard, than the team of 4 Space Marine armies.

Same with "how cookie cutter are the armies?"

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WestRider said:

All chaos is totally fine they can bring a range of lists with differing tools. The whole all infantry across a team is not something I enjoy seeing as mass model counts is an extreme list and requires specific tools that are hard to have in every list... couple of outlier lists are fine but balance it by having a couple of solid all comers or a drastically different outlier. 

8th has far less of this issue than previous editions but having a reasonable set of lists is important. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

It didn't make sense on any level two years ago and that prompts me to qualify my statements.  

And again, the scoring did make sense, it just wasn't calculated properly. It wouldn't have changed the sportsmanship standings as every team except one got full points on the opponent rubric. Whether it was doubled or halved, the rankings wouldn't change.

It's just when it came to winning best overall that the sportsmanship wasn't weighted properly. But having a team that scored lowest in sportsmanship and low in painting, it wouldn't have changed your positioning much if at all.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 9:03 PM, happycamper said:

It’s part of game.  They have a Codex with stragems.  

So are a lot of things. EVERYTHING has a codex or index, and most of them have stratagems, and yet some things and combinations are still considered "inappropriate" for OFCC. These kind of responses are unhelpful and dismissive, try to keep them to a minimum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1