5 reasons why list rating does not work, #4 will shock you!

evil_bryan

2 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Congratulations on your quest to "free"OFCC generals to be completely uninhibited in their list as long as they can shame their captain into allowing it.  Congrats man.  Your unicorn is just dead sexy.  Lol

You realize I was planning on a full knight list right? It literally was the only list sugarless could have fully painted and based there was no shaming me into this. There is a reason I don't challenge your team (when you were coming) we have very different opinions on this game. Btw our paint score was pretty paltry but we still came 5th overall. Compete where you can and let it all shake out! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

So I don't know you, have had almost zero interaction with you, but you never seem positive about things? Maybe that's what he's getting at? 

It's always "knights don't belong in 40k" and "fw is evil". And you just stated you tell people only come to the OFCC if they can paint well. Now I'm embellishing things a bit here, but that's what I've seen. And that doesn't help the group as a whole at all.

I didn't attend the OFCC so largely I'm staying out of this one. I will vouch for LH in the respect that he's not always negative on the forums. That's it. Just felt it was only fair to point that out. I'd do the same for you in a reversed situation. 

Anyway, done. 

1 hour ago, SPaceORK said:

Why is there even any discussion about lists? 

Isn't OFCC about rolling dice, drinking, hanging out with friends and looking at cool models?

With no actual winner, who cares who brings what?

I have a difficult time turning off the competitivness so OFCC probably isn't for me. But if I did go I would make sure my models looked good and my list was good enough to put up a fight.

And I think that's what everyone does at this event, no?

Yes and no,  if I need a ringer I may pm you and figure out how best to get you five fun games while respecting your opponent. It is different for different folks, I've competed for years on the Marshall Johnson award never met him but the award he embodied is really interesting in that I feel everybody can and deserves to have a shot at it. You just have to be willing to flex your style a bit and through basically manual match making get some great opponents that are close to your opinion of the game. 

I love having lists pre event, I don't know how to explain it but I can tell a lot about a person by their list. Did they come as close to top end as possible, are there some hidden combos they are trying to slip by raters, are the lists so awkwardly themed that they make bad matchups? Then personality, how much is that general drinking? These things are far more important than the actual list itself. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Hanaur said:

Yeah.  You'll bring 5 Knights and I'd rather die than do it.  So you're right about that particular unicorn.  I can't argue that we "see that differently". 

Seriously that's what you take away? Big robots are cool! And beatable people need to broaden their horizons. The bigger your horizons the more cool people you can interact with and open to respecting one another. 

I liken army or model shaming to bullying I want to find out why they like those things before passing judgment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Seriously that's what you take away? Big robots are cool! And beatable people need to broaden their horizons. The bigger your horizons the more cool people you can interact with and open to respecting one another. 

I liken army or model shaming to bullying I want to find out why they like those things before passing judgment.

Liking them isnt the point.  You already knew that.  

Anywho, glad to see how broad the horizon got.  That's super open minded of you.  Accolades for being so GOOD A PERSON that you would gladly inflict that on your enemies at the friendliest event I've ever been to.

Cheers my friend.  You are a true humanitarian.