Bourbon

PumpkinHead

Not super rare, but I got my hands on some Elijah Craig 18 year. Didn't quite splurge on the 23 year, but I thought about it. Everyone says you don't get it because it is good, but to have the privilege of trying the oldest aged bourbon. The 18 year is strong but smooth. I think I prefer is chilled a bit in the fridge rather then room temp.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, Brick Bungalow said:

My current daily is Old Forester Prohibition. I like rye but haven't yet found one that I plan to buy repeatedly. Lately I favor hotter and drier if someone has a suggestion in that vein. 

Truth here...the OF 1920 is worth every cent.

The best $30 bottle you’ll get though is Bernheim Wheat. Do yourself a favor and thank me now, before you purchase one. It’s terrific.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Weav said:

No. Being more than 50% wheat it can’t be considered a bourbon. It tastes like one.

At 50% wheat, is it a bread product...? I'm just picturing an oat-meal looking bottle of alcohol. :P

33 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

At 50% wheat, is it a bread product...? I'm just picturing an oat-meal looking bottle of alcohol. 😛

I can see that you're joking and having fun, but for educational purposes, the federal government says that a producer cannot call their liquor bourbon unless it is at least 51% corn.

• Like 1

That’s not just the federal government sticking its nose where it doesn’t belong, that’s actually the main distinction between bourbon whiskey, rye whiskey, rye malt whiskey, malt whiskey, and wheat whiskey. All of these are made from mashes with different grains.

Although why anyone drinks the stuff is beyond me. I’ll stick to whisky, like the lord god intended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Weav said:

I can see that you're joking and having fun, but for educational purposes, the federal government says that a producer cannot call their liquor bourbon unless it is at least 51% corn.

Huh...By 51%, we mean that the bottle is over half filled with corn? 

A quick and simple definition of a bourbon:

The Rules that Bourbon Lives By
  • Whiskey Produced in the United States.
  • Made from a minimum of 51% Corn -- along with a combination of other grains such as Rye, Wheat and Malted Barley.
  • Distilled at no higher than 160 proof.
  • Aged in new, Charred Oak Barrels at no more than 125 proof.
  • Must be a minimum of 80 proof at bottling.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Huh...By 51%, we mean that the bottle is over half filled with corn? 

Are you taking the piss or do you not know anything about how alcoholic beverages are made...?k

Mash refers to the materials that brewers use to produce the liquid (the wort) that they then ferment into alcohol. Bourbon uses a mash that is primarily corn, single malt scotch whisky (which is what civilized men drink) uses malted barley, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ish said:

... Bourbon uses a mash that is primarily corn, single malt scotch whisky (which is what civilized men drink) uses malted barley, etc.

If by civilized you mean men that like the taste of boot leather, peat moss, and smoke.

Those with a more refined pallet will enjoy the taste of dried fruit, vanilla, and a little oakiness. 😛

• Haha 2