Bourbon

PumpkinHead

27 minutes ago, Brick Bungalow said:

So a few of us attend an annual whiskey party. This year there was a test. 

Five unmarked bottles were tasted in random order and given tasting notes. Three bottles were decent mid shelf bourbons of similar constitution. The fourth was really expensive and unavailable. The fifth one was an experimental mixture created to simulate the fourth and much less expensive than the first three. 

About ninety percent of the room picked either the fourth or fifth selection on an even split. 

Has anyone done blind tasting? Do you think you can identify quality using taste alone?

Did they tell you the recipe for the mix? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

I enjoy a blind taste test to see which bourbon is preferred. I also like to taste Bourbons when they are straight, chilled, and with an ice cube to see how the flavor changes.

Have you tried just room temp water? Controlled amounts small, like an inch or two from a straw. 

Just tried this over the last couple evenings and the experience is cool. Surprisingly makes some notes stronger. You don't mix it in so much as just wait for it to push the oils (non water soluble bits) up and nose better. First taste after adding water is stronger then it gets weaker as you separate some of the tasting notes. This is totally an adventure thing as it may not be obvious how oily the whiskey you are using is and cask strengths typically take the proofing down better. 

1 hour ago, VonVilkee said:

Have you tried just room temp water? Controlled amounts small, like an inch or two from a straw. 

Just tried this over the last couple evenings and the experience is cool. Surprisingly makes some notes stronger. You don't mix it in so much as just wait for it to push the oils (non water soluble bits) up and nose better. First taste after adding water is stronger then it gets weaker as you separate some of the tasting notes. This is totally an adventure thing as it may not be obvious how oily the whiskey you are using is and cask strengths typically take the proofing down better. 

Try it with 1-2 drops from the tip of your finger...  Should do  the same thing without watering your drink down.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Yeah it was! 

I'm shocked at the different between Wild Turkey 101 and Rye 101.

The WT 101 is 6 year aged Rye

Rye 101 is simply 101 proof Rye...   Thought that there was more

James Oliver Rye is AMAZING

So very enjoying it... well honestly enjoying them all, hehe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romans832 said:

I'm shocked at the different between Wild Turkey 101 and Rye 101.

The WT 101 is 6 year aged Rye

Rye 101 is simply 101 proof Rye...   Thought that there was more

James Oliver Rye is AMAZING

So very enjoying it... well honestly enjoying them all, hehe

i second the James Oliver Rye. Great mid grade rye made right here in Oregon!

• Thanks 1