Necromunda Consensus?

fluger

I love it but it is every bit as flawed as the original just in different ways. 

There is supposed to be a compilation book soon ish with a clean up... I say wait for that before taking the plunge. 

https://yaktribe.games/community/categories/necromunda.19/

The game actually plays amazingly on the tiles but suffers in 3d... using the rules to pick terrain/ style along with mission and moving between the two styles gives the best balance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ish said:

Personally, I’ve been holding off until they release a complete book and/or new Spyrers and Arbites.

I was/am waiting for DeLaque.  The whole thing seems a bit slipshod ATM rules-wise, but the models (and the FW support!) are incredible and I love the setting/style.

Just now, fluger said:

Yeah two boxes and one or more of the FW weapon sprues seems like a good way to go.

I'm waiting to get the forge world till all are available. 10 ish built by box saving the rest for a bit too have options.

Absolutely love that goliath are actual contenders this go around Paris is back with his band of meat head thugs! Playing back in the nineties felt like an exercise in futility against van saar this go around having better stats and stimulant injectors makes it a game so far! Escher toxin is terrifying tho. 

Yeah pretty surprising what str and toughness 4 to start can do... they also have amazingly good cool so even if they bottle you can keep pushing as it is unlikely for them to flee unless you choose to. 

One big change that helps is that you roll the lasting injury as soon as they go ooa. I've used this to make better decisions on when to keep pushing for the win or just bounce. Knowing that the first couple ooa are in full recovery mode lets you make better long term choices in the short term. Very subtle but major change from just rolling at the end. 

• Like 1

I haven’t played the new Necromunda yet, but in skimming the rule book it seems like they’ve really struck a much better balance between skills. I’m willing to bet that ain’t perfect, but Agility no longer seems like the GOD TIER skill set it used to be. 

35 minutes ago, Ish said:

I haven’t played the new Necromunda yet, but in skimming the rule book it seems like they’ve really struck a much better balance between skills. I’m willing to bet that ain’t perfect, but Agility no longer seems like the GOD TIER skill set it used to be. 

Skills are not balanced but the trees are better. Each tree has a skill or two you really want and savant actually has an icky skill! Shooting I think also has a dud, away from book right now so not sure. 

Only cawdor struggle to pick a starting skill for their champs which are average ws but better shots with access only to close combat centric skills... weird choice but it harkens back to the original... if only bulging biceps wasn't faq'd into the ground!

2 hours ago, fluger said:

I've skimmed the rules and missed that. That's a GREAT change.

Yeah super easy to miss but makes the play so much better game to game. Much better cost vs benefit consideration while playing. 

Playing a combat vs shooting gang goes much better as there will be that moment you've closed but at the cost of a few guys and will be taking more shots, knowing that Paris is just unconscious, but Crunch is critical let's you figure I'll be one man down next game but the win gets me that extra fighter I've been saving for let's do this!

Bottling is also quite different... you basically take a 40k moral test (d6 plus seriously injured plus ooa vs starting gang size) then every turn after failing that (and bottling) each fighter gets a cool save against running off. Leaders and champs who pass can auto pass other fighters close by. So bottling is not I'm gone it is a I'm shaken man it might be time to hoof it...

• Like 1

Are the official mission types decently balanced between shooty gangs and punchy gangs?

I don’t expect the balance be perfect and am totally happy with a few asymmetric missions being in the mix... But only if over the course of a campaign you can expect a roughly equal amount of “Alright! This is what my guys live for!” and “Oh, grox-vomit. Anything but this mission!” 

• Like 1

Terrain is a thing also knowing how the new hiding mechanic works... pinned in cover means hidden! No specific action now escher jump up is super amazing for this now, move them dive for cover (1/2 move then pin yourself). Next activation after being un targetable jump up do it again or aim and shoot charge etc. Not needing line of sight to charge is also nice. 

There is a roll to see who picks mission, the middle is a fixed mission that is pretty balanced, low roll highest gang rating picks, bigger chunk at the top lowest gang rating picks. So missions tend to be less beneficial to the higher gang rating. Works reasonably with the immediate ooa known results. It also depends on what your goals are in picking the mission creds, rep, turf, or just punitive attacks on the other guy...

Finally person picking mission picks 3d terrain or tiles. If you are actually enforcing this rule along with load out not changing vansaar have to be ready for a close in fire fight and it goes a long way to balancing their pure shootyness in 3d terrain. If you break some of those rules the vansaar get to run away with things more as they need less versatility. 

The game actually works as written but breaks down quick if you make nostalgia type changes for reasons...

Edited by VonVilkee
Phone typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, fluger said:

I suspect that it comes down to terrain.  I know when I played original Necro, the only reason anyone could hang with Van Saar was we had TONS of good terrain to hide behind.

Compilation is out heading into town to get my copy now... I'll do a personal review as a new topic here on ordo soon. 

This also completes my gang collection! Yay delaque. 

• 1 month later...

Has Games Workshop ever created a balanced system? 

I can't really evaluate it that way to be honest. The game feels extremely arbitrary to me but I don't mind. The fluff is terrific. It's immersive. Developing and modeling gang through the course of a campaign is great fun. I love the compact scale. I love the labyrinth terrain. 

I must say that I do prefer the original models, for the most part over the current releases. 

It’s hard to balance a system with as many “moving parts” as a GW game. I mean, Chess has two players with identical sets of pieces, a board that never changes, and rules that haven’t seen a “new edition” since the 18th Century... and it still is “unbalanced” in favor of White.

I’d say GW’s most “balanced” games are probably Battlefleet GothicEpic 40,000, and Adeptus Titanicus; with BloodbowlNecromundaMordheim, and LotR coming in at a collective second place; the current editions of WH40k and AoS are better balanced than most prior editions of the game, but asymmetric match-ups still happen with some regularity.

As they are designed as campaign-based games with changes to each player’s team over time,  BloodbowlNecromunda, and Mordheim can become asymmetric over time as some teams gain more wins than others... GW has taken steps to make the “snowball effect” less dramatic than in previous editions of these games, but it’s still present to some degree. I’d argue that you kind of want to have it... Otherwise, what’s the point of sustained campaigning?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I'm kinda-sorta-maybe getting interested in Necromunda.  Can anyone tell me how it plays?  What are its strengths and weaknesses?

My interest in the game stems from nostalgia of the original Necromunda and my love for the new Cawdor kit & FW weapon upgrades.

My plan to use  Cawdor minis as TNT Raiders, so I won't use the Cawdor heads.  I also plan to magnetize many of the weapons, so I can upgrade at will and use the models for both games. 

Now that I think about it, if I magnetize the heads, I could play them as a Cawdor or as a Genestealer Cult.  I read the new Necromunda fluff, and one of the splinter cults passes themselves off as servants of House Cawdor.  They call themselves the Resurrected.
  • Like 1