Did you know...? (or Random Wikipedia link thread)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing?fbclid=IwAR1mbWGaysEaX0MCc7VKJ2uxTLu7iycBh3yPPgHjTHL8MHSGt1DTkL6BcIw

Chessboxing. Apparently this is a thing that exists? I'm not entirely certain what to think about this.

Pretty sure I posted a thread on this a number of years ago (maybe on the old ordo). Watched a weird sci-fi film which is based on a comic, and that comic is the basis for chess boxing (though chess boxing is not in the film). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_(2004_film) 

is based on:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Foire_aux_immortels 

who's third comic in the series is:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froid_Équateur 

Which brings it back to chessboxing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing 

Just rewatched Bohemian Rhapsody and decided to read up on Live Aid.  My favorite band is Rush and drummer Neil Peart had this to say:

"Geddy was involved with the Northern Lights charity record here in Canada, although Rush weren't invited to participate in the Live Aid event – mainly because if you look at the guest list, it was very much an 'in-crowd' situation. We were 'out' by then. We didn't refuse to take part because of any principles. Mind you, I wouldn't have been happy being part of this scenario. Those stars should have shut up and just given over their money if they were genuine. I recall that Tears For Fears, who made a musical and artistic decision to pull out of the concert, were subsequently accused by Geldof of killing children in Africa – what a shockingly irresponsible and stupid attitude to take. But I have nothing bad whatsoever to say about Bob Geldof; he sacrificed his health, his career, everything for something he believed in. But others around him got involved for their own reasons. Some of those involved in Northern Lights were actually quoted as saying that their managers told them to get down to the recording sessions because it would be a good career move!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, paxmiles said:

1: Cave found in Romania with 48 unique species in it which all use Chemosynthesis instead of Photosynthesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movile_Cave

2: Naturally occurring boiling river:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanay-Timpishka

Both links make me think they'd be good D&D encounters.

Just got around to reading these. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

"The most recent animal recorded is the cave's only snail, which has inhabited the cave for slightly more than 2 million years." I like to deliberately misread this as referring to a single snail, rather than a species 😄

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Just got around to reading these. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

"The most recent animal recorded is the cave's only snail, which has inhabited the cave for slightly more than 2 million years." I like to deliberately misread this as referring to a single snail, rather than a species 😄

When I was in Elementary school, I used to check out a book that was a collection of short horror stories that were somehow connected to Hitchock (I don't remember if he wrote them or whatnot).  The only one that sticks with me was about man menaced by a giant snail.  He hid in a tight crevice and the snail slowly crawled up the rocks, sealing him inside.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yarbicus said:

When I was in Elementary school, I used to check out a book that was a collection of short horror stories that were somehow connected to Hitchock (I don't remember if he wrote them or whatnot).  The only one that sticks with me was about man menaced by a giant snail.  He hid in a tight crevice and the snail slowly crawled up the rocks, sealing him inside.

I know exactly the story you're talking about. The Quest for the ‘Blank Claveringi’, by Patricia Highsmith. Hitchcock edited the collection. That one really stuck with me, too. I still feel a bit uncomfortable about snails to this day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I know exactly the story you're talking about. The Quest for the ‘Blank Claveringi’, by Patricia Highsmith. Hitchcock edited the collection. That one really stuck with me, too. I still feel a bit uncomfortable about snails to this day.

Lol. I love snails and slugs. They just strike me as very innocent. Granted, I'm not a farmer....

I also feel that if slugs or snails were giant, my perspective on them would change drasitically. They'd be horrifying I were an ant.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:34 PM, Yarbicus said:

Just rewatched Bohemian Rhapsody and decided to read up on Live Aid.  My favorite band is Rush and drummer Neil Peart had this to say:

"Geddy was involved with the Northern Lights charity record here in Canada, although Rush weren't invited to participate in the Live Aid event – mainly because if you look at the guest list, it was very much an 'in-crowd' situation. We were 'out' by then. We didn't refuse to take part because of any principles. Mind you, I wouldn't have been happy being part of this scenario. Those stars should have shut up and just given over their money if they were genuine. I recall that Tears For Fears, who made a musical and artistic decision to pull out of the concert, were subsequently accused by Geldof of killing children in Africa – what a shockingly irresponsible and stupid attitude to take. But I have nothing bad whatsoever to say about Bob Geldof; he sacrificed his health, his career, everything for something he believed in. But others around him got involved for their own reasons. Some of those involved in Northern Lights were actually quoted as saying that their managers told them to get down to the recording sessions because it would be a good career move!"

Related to the various famine relief music projects that happened in the 80s, "Hear 'N Aid" was:

"a heavy metal charitable musical project envisioned by Ronnie James Dio and fellow Dio band mates Jimmy Bain and Vivian Campbell with the purpose of raising money for famine relief in Africa."

It's amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_%27n_Aid#Track_1_Hear_'N_Aid_%22Stars%22

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

That one seriously random connection! Now I need to look up that story.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Related to the various famine relief music projects that happened in the 80s, "Hear 'N Aid" was:

"a heavy metal charitable musical project envisioned by Ronnie James Dio and fellow Dio band mates Jimmy Bain and Vivian Campbell with the purpose of raising money for famine relief in Africa."

It's amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_%27n_Aid#Track_1_Hear_'N_Aid_%22Stars%22

The song is not that great but it came at a time when I was really into Dio and the other bands. 

• 1 month later...

Swashbucklers don't buckle swashes, they swash bucklers. Even tho most of the imagery we associate with them doesn't include bucklers, the term persisted for whatever reason. It was also originally a derogatory term. Meant someone who waves their sword around impressively, but never hits anything other than their opponent's shield.

• Haha 1

As is typical with Wikipedia links, that one is horrible.  Check their sources.  There's nothing that points to "Status Nominal".  In fact the sentence that makes that claim is a link to something that actually references "Situation Normal".  That said, I don't have anything more authoritative to say that situation normal is the original phrase either.  It's just the one I am familiar with.

It's possible that one of the later references (most likely the Rick Atkinson title) includes that history but then it should be the footnote for that line, not the reference to Private Snafu...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

God, I hate food labeling.  Any plant product except a mushroom has gotten a healthy does of radiation.  Without being more specific that is about as useless as it is possible to be.  Even ignoring sunlight, you'd have to apply this to anything which was x-rayed, anything which was microwaved, anything which was actually irradiated for health reasons and probably a dozen other applications that I am not thinking of at the moment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Duckman said:

God, I hate food labeling.  Any plant product except a mushroom has gotten a healthy does of radiation.  Without being more specific that is about as useless as it is possible to be.  Even ignoring sunlight, you'd have to apply this to anything which was x-rayed, anything which was microwaved, anything which was actually irradiated for health reasons and probably a dozen other applications that I am not thinking of at the moment.

I just find the symbol really happy looking for what is basically a label for Mr. Burns brand food products. A 3-eyed fish would be much better. Or a Roach with a smile.

Regarding the label, it's more practical than I make it out to be. Just think the symbol is really rather smart, because just looking at it, never would have concluded that that symbol had anything to do with radiation. And Radiation really scares people, possibly more than it deserves.

You should hear some of the conspiracy theories floating around out there about this symbol: 

That’s what’s known as a a hechsher ( הכשר‎ ) which roughly translates as “seal of approval.” Jewish dietary laws require various, packaged foods, beverages, and whatnot that are sold commercially to be certified as kosher by a rabbi. The Ⓤ symbol is the mark of the Orthodox Union, the largest certification group in the US. Go ahead and grab nearly any food packaging you have handy, if you look in the corners or in the “fine print” you’ll probably find a Ⓤ somewhere. Maybe even a ⓊD or ⓊP.

Needless to say, when a certain sort of person learns about “secret symbols” being used by “the Jews” in cooperation with “big corporations” then all sorts of kookiness results.

• Like 2