OG needs some help with 2017 ‘Munda

Weav

Hey guys. I am requesting some assistance with understanding what I made need to do with my old Van Saar’s to be ready for the new Necromunda league. I don’t plan on buying any new models, yet I need to be as competitive as I can, and frankly, I’m a sucker for WYSIWYG. I won’t be buying the books for a little bit, so outside of plasma, autoguns, lasguns, and so on, what should I plan for to have a viable Van SAAR gang?

¡Van Saar tend to be pretty straight forward, with high BS and low WS.  It mostly comes down to a question of how many toys do you want?

Spamming fast shot shot as your skill, and taking plasma guns is pretty OP in a straight up fight.   But if your opponents start running smoke grenades and picking ambush and zone mortalis scenarios, you’ll have to adjust your tactics.

As JO pointed out, Van Saars have exclusive access to rad weapons.  These have been nerfed slightly in the recent update, but it’s still a pretty slick trick.  The rad cannon drops a 5” template, rad guns act like flamers, rad grenades are slightly cheaper than frag.   The rad-phage ability can seriously hamper your enemies in a hurry.  

id recommend adding armour to them, the start with a 6+ in their armored body glove, but that is additive with flak or mesh.  15 pts for mesh gives them a 4+ save.  

Las guns or las carbines on your gangers make for the cheapest fire base you have access to.

Skills wise, you really can’t go wrong, savant and shooting are excellent trees, and with is leadership of a 4+(On 2d6!!), inspirational could be an excellent choice on your leader to help the gang keep its cool.  Of course them you’re passing up overseer or mentor...

If you do kit up for close combat, your fighters are fairly average, but shock weapons and energy shields could help tip the balance and at least help you end combats quickly.

those are my thoughts, mostly theoretical/based on general gameplay and not specifically Van Saar experience.

• Like 1

While fast shot looks like the winner on paper it relies on your enemy giving you two fighters to target from one spot. A savvy opponent will not let you often enough...

Hipshooter keeps you surprisingly mobile and suppression lasers are auto reloading shotguns! Give that guy a shield (it is a melee weapon!) and you have a strong breacher. Up the WS, yes WS, and tank those charges use knockback don't follow and blast em point blank! Good in both terrain types. 

Another option double plasma pistol gun fighter lets you target two different fighters with a single action far more efficient action use. You start with a 2+ so even at max range you hit like everybody else. Lets you move and double shoot or stand up from pin and double shoot. So much better than fast shot...

• Like 1