SpaceORK's Orks... n' other armies.

SPaceORK

Over the holiday season I've decided to get as many games in as possible. Mostly with orks, because I'm actually stripping, basing, repairing and painting the whole lot of them.

I got to get a game in yesterday with a new opponent and his IG.

His list from memory;

Straken

Harker

Primaris Psyker 

Priest

30x conscripts

Valkyrie with 4 Bullgryn

3x chimera with 10 man squads

10x scions with hotshot volley guns

6x earthshakers and crew

Taurox

Maybe some other things, not sure really.

My list;

Bad moons battalion 

2x big mek

3x10 grots

Bad moons battalion

2x weird boyz

3x10 grots

10 & 15 lootas

Evil sunz battalion

Weird boy

Warboss on bike

3x30 boys w/ nob and big choppa

28x stormboyz

The new buggy with 4 flamers

He wanted to play a new CA mission, which was cool. We ended up with the one where 4 objectives float around like they are from Avatar on the point hammer & anvil deployment.

0OIOqyN.jpg

Here my opponent is pointing out my only painted model. It also is what my deployment looks like. There was a small snafu in which I reserved 15 lootas thendeepstruck them in my own deployment zone first turn. Since it burned 2cp he didn't much care. I also reserved 2x30 boy squads.

dE68kUN.jpg

His deployment. The bags behind the Russes are the units inside the Russes. The Russes also happen to be Chimeras. There was alot of "proxying" going on this game.

He went first. Moved up a bit, dumped out bullgryn in front of my boys. Started shooting my lootas, I grot shielded, proceeded to fail  four-ish 2+'s for the lootas. He, however decided to stop shooting the lootas when he noticed he was mostly removing grots.

He took some more shots at things, didn't do much and it was off to my turn. Heck yea! I'm gonna kill things with lootas! Well I rolled a 1 for the number of shots, twice. Ehh... still managed to do some damage to two chimeras and two earthshakers with spitfire, more dakka and double tap. I also did some smite damage with weird boyz to the bullgryn.

2vDOMnu.jpg

This part is a little fuzzy. I believe I surrounded the taurox with boys and stormboys, killing it and everyone inside. But as you can see, in his next turn he surrounded me with flamers and guardsmen.

• Thanks 1

2sd7d9e.jpg

Well maybe not surrounded me. More like a semi-circle of death. The orks in the middle did not survive his turn two. He did spend basically his whole turn killing them though, so that was a plus.

fMbQn8k.jpg

My turn two and things were going to go my way. And they actually did. 3 shots with the lootas, two 8" charges from reserve, some clutch smites basically removed everything he had in the middle of the table. Leaving only conscripts and earthshakers. Sure, on his turn 3 he murdered a ton of orks with those things. But I was now claiming objectives and earning points!

dfQQUAN.jpg

My turn 3. I was running out of bodies. My weird boys would soon kill themselves, I was running low on grots. Granted,  I now was in control of most of the objectives and he had a half dead tank and immobile artillery but he was also up on points.

dvR1BII.jpg

Now I dont have any photos of turn 4 & 5. Mostly because this was like 3 hours in and it was just a few orks dodging artillery shells and grabbing objectives. Which they did, enough for me to take the lead by one point! It also helped the game ended on turn 5 because I don't know how many more shots to face my orks could take.

Close game, great opponent.

I'm 4-0 with orks since the codex dropped and I'm really liking them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After playing a few games now, watching others play, doing the maths, I'm kinda getting an idea of how good things are in the codex.

Bad Moon Lootas Detachment: Obviously the most hyped thing in the codex. And so far it plays like a cross between a Ynnari Reaper squad and a Castellan. Going forward I expect 25 lootas in alot of list. A++

Gretchin: 3pt troop that has a extremely good stratagem with it. Take 60 even if you plan on using boyz. B+

Boyz: 1pt increase from the Index, still worth taking 90. I didn't expect these guys to do as much work as they do, but man, they are so useful! Make them Evil Suns to get those charges off. B+ (Either version. Technically I think shoota boyz are mathematically better.)

Storm Boyz: I love these models! But I think they are only good in lists that dont have lootas. You kinda want to be able to da jump a boyz squad and charge 25" with a stormboys squad turn 1. And you cant pull off the turn 1 charge as easily without mobbing up the stormboys. B-/C+

Kommandos: Deepstriking boys that dont require cp, have flamers and get +1 to wound in terrain, yes please! I wasnt sure about these guys at first but so far they have been great! A-

Mek Gunz: Super cheap artillery. Not as good at filling out a brigade as big gunz but better gunz. Traktor cannon A, Kannon B+, Other gunz C.

New buggies: Ehh they look amazing and I kinda like the bs 3+, 8/-2/d6 one. The flame one looks good, but it dies turn one each time I've used it before it gets to shoot. Overall they seem slightly overcosted. C+

Weirdboy: Really good. Only needs da jump and smite. B+

Warboss: Ehh... B-

Big mek w/KFF: solid, useful, cheap. B+

Battlewagon: Mobile bunker that allows you to greatly reduce the amount of drops you have. B-

Everything else in the codex: Varies from overcosted trash (Stompa, trukk. Both D-.) to probably usable for a very specific job (Nobs, flash gitz. Both C-)

Overall I think orks are good enough to be a top tier army or keep certain armies in check. Love em!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also got a couple games in with Tau v Guard/Ultramarines.

His list:

Bobby G + Tiggy + Smash Captain 

3 dev squads + 3 scout squads

Tons of guard and mortar teams

Me:

Kx139 supremacy suit

Riptide

Drones

Firewarriors 

Commander and fireblades

2lUbI4f.jpg

My deployment. Just hiding in a bunker.

oTNpDz8.jpg

His deployment. He had to proxy a fair bit because he misplaced some models.

8q9jY0k.jpg

And this about sums up the game. A bunch of guardsmen looking at a titan as it stands immortal before them. Turn 1 went to me. I killed all the devistators, 2 squads of scouts turn one. His turn, he killed some drones. He then realized with that many drones, wounds and the ability  to heal he couldn't touch my battlesuits so he called it.

He ran back the same list. I switched out the 139 for two riptides and the fw flame riptide, more fire warriors and two more commanders.

It went exactly the same. I got turn one. Popped my feat on a commander and removed his army. 14" 3d6 6/-2/3 flamer with Bor'kin Sept is so good! Yea tau are fun but I really dont see any viable build besides riptides/drones with tons of firwarriors. 

Yeah, I’ve been looking at how much dakka my Imperial Fists can put out and it’s crazy. I spent the better part of the last fifteen years with an Armored Battlegroup. The most dice I ever rolled for any one unit’s shooting was, like, twelve... twenty eight on the very rare chance someone was dumb enough to stand within Front Rank Fire! range of one of my three Infantry Squads.

A minimum sized squad of Aggressors can potentially throw 72(!) shots down range. A six-man squad will average 57 shots, 114 if they get to “double tap”! Average! 

I’m going to need to buy a dice tray.

11 minutes ago, Ish said:

Yeah, I’ve been looking at how much dakka my Imperial Fists can put out and it’s crazy. I spent the better part of the last fifteen years with an Armored Battlegroup. The most dice I ever rolled for any one unit’s shooting was, like, twelve... twenty eight on the very rare chance someone was dumb enough to stand within Front Rank Fire! range of one of my three Infantry Squads.

A minimum sized squad of Aggressors can potentially throw 72(!) shots down range. A six-man squad will average 57 shots, 114 if they get to “double tap”! Average! 

I’m going to need to buy a dice tray.

Shooting has just been getting better and better. Ork now have one of the premier shooting units... lol wut? Most armies can double tap.

Though close combat is secretly the best phase if you can maximize it.

6 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

After playing a few games now, watching others play, doing the maths, I'm kinda getting an idea of how good things are in the codex.

Bad Moon Lootas Detachment: Obviously the most hyped thing in the codex. And so far it plays like a cross between a Ynnari Reaper squad and a Castellan. Going forward I expect 25 lootas in alot of list. A++

Gretchin: 3pt troop that has a extremely good stratagem with it. Take 60 even if you plan on using boyz. B+

Boyz: 1pt increase from the Index, still worth taking 90. I didn't expect these guys to do as much work as they do, but man, they are so useful! Make them Evil Suns to get those charges off. B+ (Either version. Technically I think shoota boyz are mathematically better.)

Storm Boyz: I love these models! But I think they are only good in lists that dont have lootas. You kinda want to be able to da jump a boyz squad and charge 25" with a stormboys squad turn 1. And you cant pull off the turn 1 charge as easily without mobbing up the stormboys. B-/C+

Kommandos: Deepstriking boys that dont require cp, have flamers and get +1 to wound in terrain, yes please! I wasnt sure about these guys at first but so far they have been great! A-

Mek Gunz: Super cheap artillery. Not as good at filling out a brigade as big gunz but better gunz. Traktor cannon A, Kannon B+, Other gunz C.

New buggies: Ehh they look amazing and I kinda like the bs 3+, 8/-2/d6 one. The flame one looks good, but it dies turn one each time I've used it before it gets to shoot. Overall they seem slightly overcosted. C+

Weirdboy: Really good. Only needs da jump and smite. B+

Warboss: Ehh... B-

Big mek w/KFF: solid, useful, cheap. B+

Battlewagon: Mobile bunker that allows you to greatly reduce the amount of drops you have. B-

Everything else in the codex: Varies from overcosted trash (Stompa, trukk. Both D-.) to probably usable for a very specific job (Nobs, flash gitz. Both C-)

Overall I think orks are good enough to be a top tier army or keep certain armies in check. Love em!

So deff dredds fall into your trash category? 

27 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

If the job is done... Why not? 

Typically it's sort of taboo/bad form to bring apocalypse scale units to regular games. It's not against the rules, but a good chunk of players simply won't play against you. 

Classic example is bringing a Warhound in a 2k game. The Warhound is 2k by itself, so it's your whole army. It usually makes for a lopsided game, either with the warhound having no real chance, or the other player's army having no real chance. 8e is a bit better for this, but not really. 

It's like bringing an imperial knight to a 500pt game. 

Games like this can be fun if opponent(s) know you are bringing it ahead of time. It's just a nasty surprise when you are playing against random opponents, and especially against new players. Maybe spaceork's opponent knew ahead of time.

And it's really more about unit point cost vs total cost ratios, not apoc units, but the apoc units kinda have a reputation that precedes them in this area. As a rule of thumb for a balanced game with random opponents, no single unit should cost more than 1/3rd of your army points. 

Anyway, I'm ranting. @SPaceORK , you are fine to do whatever, I was just explaining my surprise to Lyraeus because they asked. 

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

You brought a 1200pt model in a 2k game....?

Absolutely!

My friend is an a-hole and deserves things like that to happen to him.

Also the tau titan is waaaaay overcosted. He needs to be around 837 with the battlesuit keyword or around 637 without. Making it immortal with drones and healing strats is cute but not really worth it in 2k. Like I feel if I brought it to a tournament at it's current points cost, I would ambush a couple players but a Castellan would just wreck me.

Annnnd bringing titans to 2k games is just bad in general I think. Sure you may not be able to kill it, but can I do enough damage to block a skilled opponent from just beating me at the objective game? Probably not...

9 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

Shooting has just been getting better and better. Ork now have one of the premier shooting units... lol wut? Most armies can double tap.

Though close combat is secretly the best phase if you can maximize it.

Lootaz were one of the best shooting Units in the game in 4th/5th Ed, too. It was kind of weird. But then again, it was also weird that the Army they were de-throning as the top firepower Dex on that occasion was Nids.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestRider said:

Lootaz were one of the best shooting Units in the game in 4th/5th Ed, too. It was kind of weird. But then again, it was also weird that the Army they were de-throning as the top firepower Dex on that occasion was Nids.

Yeah, I was gonna say, lootas straight up dominated 4th/5th.  The only army that didn't fear them where infantry heavy BA with 3+/4+ saves.  They melted 3+ save or worse units and ground down anything with AV13 or less.  My Orks outshot basically every army other than IG and then later GK in 5th.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

Not trash. They feel like nobs, they have their uses but really besides that.... ehh.

The "take-three-and-deepstrike-them" strategy sounds awesome and probably is, I just dont know if it's just not better to take more boyz.

I think the threat of them is a huge strength for them. Though you can get what... 12 boys for each basic Dredd

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

I think the threat of them is a huge strength for them. Though you can get what... 12 boys for each basic Dredd

The best load out, I think, is triple claw and flamer which is about 120. So you get around 17 boyz. So 50+ boyz vrs 3 dredds, I think you just want the boyz.

But your absolutely right, the idea of three coming down and rampaging in your opponents back field is scary as heck. Also they would be waaaaay better at smashing knights than boyz.

Just now, SPaceORK said:

The best load out, I think, is triple claw and flamer which is about 120. So you get around 17 boyz. So 50+ boyz vrs 3 dredds, I think you just want the boyz.

But your absolutely right, the idea of three coming down and rampaging in your opponents back field is scary as heck. Also they would be waaaaay better at smashing knights than boyz.

Easily better at smashing knights. 

I think one set for 360 is a good threat force and is usable in a wide variety of situations