Ish-Perial Fists

Ish

46 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Why no gunships? No storm talons? 

The StormTalon is actually pretty badly overpriced. Like, to the point where the StormHawk is actually a more efficient ground-attack craft, despite supposedly being a dedicated Interceptor.

14 minutes ago, Ish said:

The Stormtalon is probably the only thing in the model range more fugly than the Repulsor! I like the looks of the Stormhawk Interceptor a lot more and will probably add one to my collection someday... I do like aircraft, not quite as much as tanks, but, y'know.

The Dark Angels' Nephillim Jetfighter is also a gorgeous bit of kit, I'm willing to bet that I could use it as the basis for Stormtalon and Stormhawk conversions. They're all about the same size (the Nephy has a larger wingspan) so the biggest difference is just the weaponry. 

The Nephilim can work pretty well there. If you can find the wings from the Nephilim from a bitz seller, just adding those on is enough to make a StormTalon look significantly better.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

In the interest of saving points, can the Auxiliary Grenade Launchers shoot while advancing? If not, probably wise to drop them from this particular unit. I'm only assuming that you actually pay points for them...

Sgt. Rock has it half right. Auxiliary Grenade Launchers cost no points, they're limited to one man for every five models in the unit, but they do not change the weapon type. They just change the range (and only the range) of the Frag and Krak Grenades that the Marines carry normally.

"Grenade" is a weapon type, like "Assault" or "Rapid Fire," and Grenade doesn't have a 'shoot after advancing' special rule.

Auxilary Grenade Launcher: If a model is armed with an auxiliary grenade launcher, increase the range of any Grenade weapons they have to 30".

- Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines, p. 148

GRENADE
Each time a unit shoots, a single model in the unit that is equipped with Grenades may throw one instead of firing any other weapon.

- Main Rulebook, p. 180

Now, if I wanted to be That Guy, there's an ambiguity caused by a dangling participle in the wording of the Assault weapon special rule that creates a loophole where a Grenade could be used... But that's waaaay too much of being a pedantic jerk even for me!

5 minutes ago, WestRider said:

The Nephilim can work pretty well there. If you can find the wings from the Nephilim from a bitz seller, just adding those on is enough to make a StormTalon look significantly better.

I'd probably go the other way `round: buy the guns for the Stormtalon and Stormhawk from an online bitz seller and buy a complete Nephy off the shelf.

The Nephy has missile launchers under the wings, heavy bolters between the engine intakes and the fuselage, and the big central rotary cannon. Swap those heavy bolters out for some Assault Cannons, presto, it's a Stormhawk; Swap those heavy bolters out for some Assault Cannons and replace the central rotary cannon with some sensor gubbins, you've got a Stormtalon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Ahhh, yeah, I missed that part. Okay. But yeah, there really is no reason not to take them, especially since they don't replace anything. You can have your auto bolt rifle and eat grenades, too!

It's a pretty common mistake, given that the Grenade Launcher used by the Imperial Guard (the most commonly seen grenade launcher in the game) is an Assault-type weapon.

The reason why Battle-Brother Badassius Heroika the 12' tall genetically engineered super-duper-soldier in power-armor can't fire a single-shot under-barrel blooper whilst storming an enemy trench, but Pvt. Snuffy McRedshirt the underfed, underpaid, undertrained, Underhiver draftee can fire his eight-round rotary magazine fed assault blooper whilst storming the same position... Um... You figure it out.

ASSAULT
A model with an Assault weapon can fire it even if it Advanced earlier that turn. If it does so, you must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made when firing that weapon this turn.

GRENADE
Each time a unit shoots, a single model in the unit that is equipped with Grenades may throw one instead of firing any other weapon.

- Main Rulebook, p. 180

Okay, so, the model Advances. Then it declares it is going to shoot, we check to see that it has an Assault weapon and can therefore fire it. But, each time a model with Grenades shoots, it may use a Grenade instead of firing any other weapon. Even better, because the Assault weapon rule says you must subtract 1 for any hit rolls made when firing that weapon -- the Assault weapon! Strictly speaking you should be able to throw the Grenade without any penalty!

This is pretty clearly not how anyone ever plays this and you'd probably be accused of being That Guy of the highest degree if you did it... But...

50 minutes ago, Ish said:

I'd probably go the other way `round: buy the guns for the Stormtalon and Stormhawk from an online bitz seller and buy a complete Nephy off the shelf.

The Nephy has missile launchers under the wings, heavy bolters between the engine intakes and the fuselage, and the big central rotary cannon. Swap those heavy bolters out for some Assault Cannons, presto, it's a Stormhawk; Swap those heavy bolters out for some Assault Cannons and replace the central rotary cannon with some sensor gubbins, you've got a Stormtalon.

Yeah, that probably is the better way to go. I just felt the need to include the other option for completeness's sake.

Dunno how much work you are willing to put into something, but I've got a Nephy sitting at home with some damage on it (I was converting it into something, though I don't recall what). I don't have the weapons anymore.