Astra Militarum Wave of Humanity list

Lord Hanaur

So I am taking my first true stab at the codex with this.  It is quite similar to my older list, but has a few very important changes.

160pts  DeathStrike Missile Launcher

This device can in one fell swoop do more damage than a Manticore ever thought about doing.  It's massive, yes one time scattering, 10" blast at STR 10 AP 1 that goes off now on a 4+ is...in a word...worthy.  Can you imagine the sadness amongst Tau ranks if that thing hits the center of their little cabal?  Gets the beaststar?  Hell if it hits ANYTHING AT ALL?  KARTHOOOOOOM!!!

70pts  Hydra

70pts  Hydra

Hydras are an acceptance of the new reality:  I don't want a darn fence in the way of my forward progress and I NEED anti-air capability that I can trust.  I also know that skimmers are plentiful enough that I don't feel like the odd contest where skimmers ARE more rare will put me at so much of a disadvantage that I'm crying about it afterwards.  They can still kill things that aren't skimmers of skybourne, even if with difficulty, and I'm okay with that trade off.  It stops flyer matchups from feeling quite so uphill.  Like Exorcists, you can't really trust just one to do its job.

70pts  Platoon Command Squad (4 Meltas)

70pts  Platoon Command Squad (4 Meltas)

380pts  40 Guardsman (3 Lascannons, 4 Grenade Launchers, 4 Sgt's w/ Poweraxes, Commissar w/ Poweraxe)

270pts  30 Guardsman (3 Lascannons, 3 Grenade Launchers, 3 Sgt's w/Poweraxes)

140pts 10 Demolition Veterans (Heavy Flamer, Lascannon, 2 x Meltaguns)

90 Troops on the field is a load, especially if there is even a modicum of decent cover to hide in or they can use reserves effectively.  The change in the rules, namely that Guardsman Marbo literally is no longer available, caused me to look at alternatives.  While not NEARLY as capable of sneaking up on people, the Demolition Veterans can Grav Chute themselves into the enemies backyard and prove a very credible scoring threat with their weaponry.  There is literally a tool for any occassion in this unit, they will make life interesting once they bounce out of their Valkyrie! 

The actual Guardsman themselves are capable of taking on anyone in melee, thanks to IronHand Straken.  He is my new leader.  He and his Chimera provides a 6" bubble of Counter Attack and Furious charge!  He essentially does for me what I needed of Creed:  Furious Charge.  The need for being able to give 4 orders per turn went away as well because of the changes to the list.  However, this is not entirely a loss.  Some of those points will now go into protecting the IG blobs from Psyker attacks via the expedient of having a Primaris Psyker in one squad and Inquisitor Coteaz in the other.  A 5+ Deny the Witch is not terrible defense.  In addition to melee capability and psyker defenses, the Guardsman are extremely dangerous with their bevy of Lascanons and Grenade Launchers, perfect for whittling major foes like WraithKnights and Riptides down to size while we wait for our reserves to arrive...  and our Death Strike to go off!

50pts Primaris Psyker (Level 1)

50pts Primaris Psyker (Level 1)

1-3 Primaris Psykers can be taken for the attachment, without taking up an HQ slot!  This is a big deal.  Although my army does not require three Primaris Psykers, many builds will benefit from this feature and the redundancy of it.  At this cost, how can you really lose?  Points aren't unlimited however so i will content myself with two for Psyker defense of the Guardsman, as well as Divination (read:  Prescience) and then one for the Demolition Veterans (and probably Biomancy OR Prescience depending on the enemy and whether deploying forward or not)

210pts IronHand Straken Command Group (1 LasCannon)

65pts  Chimera

Iron Hand Straken was and still is a BEAST in close combat.  Shotgun in one hand and a plasma pistol in the other, plus a knife to carve up Monsters using the Monster Hunter USR rule, he's ready for a fight.  At STR 6 and with the Smash USR, it's easy to see why he's lasted so long.  Straken comes with Base attacks of 3 (so 2 for Smash, plus 1 Extra close combat weapon, plus 1 for the charge).  That's a lot of attacks on the charge at STR 10 AP 2 smashing after he shoots his plasma Pistol (if he dares, he only has one wound).  In fact, Lysander would be proud I think.  and probably envious in some ways!

He makes his unit Relentless with his Warlord Trait which is great because it allows me to shift one Lascannon from a Guardsman squad to the higher BS of the Command Squad and still move around in the Chimera.

However his 6" bubble of Counter Attack and Furious Charge bolsters the army greatly, as Creed used to, and that's the real reason he's my new commander.

100pts  Inquisitor Coteaz

the dude is just plain awesome.  2+ save, Master Crafted Daemon Hammer, he's a Level 2 Psyker, he lets me steal initiative and stop the enemy from doing it to me...  Really just an excellent addition all the way around.  He adds Psyker defense also which I respect DEEPLY after having been rampaged by flying Tzeetch Daemons.  But he also makes the unit stubborn so that I don't need to buy another Commissar.  win win win.  Profit profit profit.

125pts  1 Valkyrie Squadron

170pts  1 Vendetta Squadron

Clearly the two birds are for separate purposes.  The Valkyrie is very credible anti-air defense, since its one use Hellstrike Missiles are Ordinance weapons and therefore a bit more reliable for the job (if it weren't for the BS of 3).  Still, one must cut expenses where one can.  The Hydras make up for the lack in any event, so if the enemy is overly sky-heavy, we are not in a poor position to deal with it.  Depending on the enemy force we will either load the Demolitions team into the Valkyrie or we will load the Platoon Command Squad.  In either event, the Vendetta will carry the second Platoon Command Squad to victory!

I feel like this is a really super fluffy guards army, placed as it has been so many times before, under the command of the Inquisition.  I have a mix of things in it that should allow me to compete pretty well.  Up to 10 scoring units if I need to go that route.  A respectable 14 Kill Points even if I don't split the blobs apart which isn't too high or two low.  it's about average. 103 models, so it's a big 'un, just a smidge smaller than the one I was using.

Thoughts?

Two Rules points:

1) Harker doesn't pass Relentless along to his Squad like the Warlord Trait does. In his case (as with most), it's just for him.

2) On the other hand, Smash provides AP2 at all times, not just when making the special Smash Attack. The two parts of the Rule are separate.

Other than that, this looks reasonably solid.

Looking back, Harker lost a LOT, and didnt go down in price.  lost FnP, lost the entire Catachan Devils ability...  I mean that's a lot to give up, honestly and see no change in points.  His Heavy Bolter is rending and i guess that's something but if the point is the narrative...  His fluff went from like over half a page to a paragraph too.  sad.  =(

EDIT:

OKAY, I changed out Harker.  Vets now have Meltas, and are Demolitions experts.  Dropped a Grenade Launcher in Strakens unit and added a Primaris Psyker to travel with the Veterans.  The extra two wounds and force weapon add a lot and of course Biomancy can help such a unit if it is forging far forward, as it likely will be at times

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Interesting list.  I love the deathstrike if you can nail first turn and launch good bye almost anything you point at.  I wonder what running 3 would do...  With Corteaz increasing chances of going first.  Deathstrike can wreck many deathstars that rely on individual models in the squad so you can snipe them with barrage.  Or take a set of 2-3 wyrvens with 2 deathstrikes and you can snipe what ever you need to, then take pask with russ line.

Interesting list.  I love the deathstrike if you can nail first turn and launch good bye almost anything you point at.  I wonder what running 3 would do...  With Corteaz increasing chances of going first.  Deathstrike can wreck many deathstars that rely on individual models in the squad so you can snipe them with barrage.  Or take a set of 2-3 wyrvens with 2 deathstrikes and you can snipe what ever you need to, then take pask with russ line.

Indeed.  It's a death sentence to a lot of things.  That is an enormous blast radius that mitigates scatter a lot and of course the ability to cast Prescience is beefy.   I am pretty sure i would never take more than 2 in any event.  Getting two of them off and on target could make for a pretty decisive first blow.  It would also affect enemy deployment in a very big way so even just the threat of it can drastically affect the enemy deployment options.  My OWN deployment would be effected a great deal by it for example and there would be NO target more important on the board than those which is why i think that reserving them is the way to go many times just to weaken the enemies ability TO stop it.  It is about the most compelling thing in the game right now for forcing the enemy forward and into me.  enemies crossing no mans land and into the teeth of my fusillade is most definitely to my advantage.

Drop pod armies might be one counter to it.  Once it fires its just a pretty box on treads.  If they can drop in and kill it, they are in much better shape.  Another reason to reserve it. 

I'll have to play with it and see how it goes. 

As for Leman Russ lines, I'm not the biggest fan of armor that ever lived.  6E has forced me much more to adopt armored tactics (an ironic turn of events, but with the way I typically fight, it just happened that way), but I am not bucking hard to include heavy duty tanks in my list.  I had an exterminator in there and still will until I get the Hydra models, but I just haven't ever loved the aesthetic of big time armored forces.  They're morre like "necessary evils" to me.  My Eldar Warp Spider force which was my army for quite a while before the new codex, had none.  Sisters before the White Dwarf had just one Exorcist and no transports, and my Tau had like 2 Devilfish's and no Hammerheads.  and so on.

Fluger loves tanks though so he's probably in hog heaven right now. 

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

That is the great part about this dex is you can play a strong pushing forward armor list.  With lots of maneuverability, you can play a horde gun line, heck with priests, you can even play a swarm list and psykers.  3 blobs that are fearless, possible 4+ invul that is rerollable in combat, making them nearly impossible to remove.  Throw in a melta on each sarge and threaten anything.  This dex just has so much too it I love the versatility and it gained so much from previous dex, while losing a lot of units, just wow.  I see a lot of obvious combos, that make this dex contender for #1, with that said I think it will have a couple variations.

Yeah.  Agreed. 

My idea with my list is to take up the middle and utilize the Sun Tzu philosophy.  =).  It also helps to cut off flyers and the like and it isn't as if I'm afraid to mix it up if the time comes to do it.  Im armed for said approaching conflict!  You can only get hit with 12 LasCannons + stuff for so long before you decide to shut them up and they have a lot of padding, armored and otherwise.  The flashlights are almost icing really, but they can hurt too in those numbers.

I do mourn the loss of battle Psykers but the codex is still good enough without them.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Hydra are ok, you can in squad with an enginseer and be able to split fire with potms.

Do you want 2 melta command? What about one melta for toward push and another sniper autocannon for back field?

Yeah I can see deathstrike reserved or keep on board camp net on back edge not that easy to remove.

160pts  DeathStrike Missile Launcher

This device can in one fell swoop do more damage than a Manticore ever thought about doing.  It's massive, yes one time scattering, 10" blast at STR 10 AP 1 that goes off now on a 4+ is...in a word...worthy.  Can you imagine the sadness amongst Tau ranks if that thing hits the center of their little cabal?  Gets the beaststar?  Hell if it hits ANYTHING AT ALL?  KARTHOOOOOOM!!!

I know nothing about the new deathstrike other than the above, but it mostly sounds weaker or as weak as than the old one. Old one was a 6-12" blast which ignored most of the targeting rules due to it's incredibly odd "short bus" special rules. Going off on 4+ sounds nice, as opposed to the old system, but I ran the old one and it rarely does much damage. Issue isn't about shooting requirements or scatter, it's about lack of viable targets. Typically, you won't have 160pts of enemy lined up in a manner that makes the deathstrike worthwhile. Don't know about the new one, but the old one can still only inflict a single wound on enemy model that it can't ID, so really, the ideal target doesn't really exist much in normal play.

That said, when I pick up the new astra book, I'll be fielding mine. The big missile makes me giggle and that's all I need for reasons to include this point deficit in my army.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Much more to this list than deathstrike. That much firepower with ability to msu scoring is what makes astra so versatile.

deathstrike- It is a deterrent and has ignore cover against mc heavy list it will suck but say biker spam or any big piles of troops it will get the job done. ita true strength is big scary fun syndrome.

It is pretty on paper and decent on table too, depending on your opponent it is not unlikely it can make it's points back. After fired you are still av12 hb tank that can ram and shock.

10" plate can wreck a scoring unit from almost any objective leaving room for friendly to run on and claim. Double radius of large blast is been

Almost all of the individual models that make a deathstar go are ICs and passing off wounds on a 2+ and all of the deathstars have good invulnerable saves and most with re-rolls of failed invulnerable saves. Thinking 1 wound not from a D weapon is going to snipe out the guy that makes the whole unit go is unlikely at best. The Wyvern trying to do it with lots of hits is a better chance but 2+ armors with a re-roll after LoS...

Until a major change to the rule set happens, or until the community decides not to play them any more, trying to kill one of the real stars is pointless in most situations.

I know nothing about the new deathstrike other than the above, but it mostly sounds weaker or as weak as than the old one. Old one was a 6-12" blast which ignored most of the targeting rules due to it's incredibly odd "short bus" special rules. Going off on 4+ sounds nice, as opposed to the old system, but I ran the old one and it rarely does much damage. Issue isn't about shooting requirements or scatter, it's about lack of viable targets. Typically, you won't have 160pts of enemy lined up in a manner that makes the deathstrike worthwhile. Don't know about the new one, but the old one can still only inflict a single wound on enemy model that it can't ID, so really, the ideal target doesn't really exist much in normal play.

It's still not a "good" unit, but it did get some improvements. Always 10" blast rather than random 8-12" is nice, and firing on a 4+ rather than a 6+ is also a boon. Stunned results also no longer give a temporary -1 on the roll, either.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

True but you can also focus on the other scary parts of stats. many have strong guns you can snipe out or added units that add usrs that can be snipped or snipe a centurion get rid is some fire power. wyrven has ok chance on first turnfor stats that need a buff. That is a big if.

Almost all of the individual models that make a deathstar go are ICs and passing off wounds on a 2+ and all of the deathstars have good invulnerable saves and most with re-rolls of failed invulnerable saves. Thinking 1 wound not from a D weapon is going to snipe out the guy that makes the whole unit go is unlikely at best. The Wyvern trying to do it with lots of hits is a better chance but 2+ armors with a re-roll after LoS...

Until a major change to the rule set happens, or until the community decides not to play them any more, trying to kill one of the real stars is pointless in most situations.

Yup..and if the deathstar runs up the board edge staying within 5" of its edge then you cant even target them with such a large plate.

Still looks like a fun piece to run though:)

Ive got an extra chassis now that the Griffin wasn't included in the new roster now I just need to get a missle for it!

It's still not a "good" unit, but it did get some improvements. Always 10" blast rather than random 8-12" is nice, and firing on a 4+ rather than a 6+ is also a boon. Stunned results also no longer give a temporary -1 on the roll, either.

Ah, 8" on the old one's minimum.

Can the new one still fire while stunned/shaken? Will weapon destroyed results remove the big middle? Did it remain Av 12 side?