OFCC 40K Team Event 2014

I would never argue with the stated objective. Most on the forum have been to these and know what was being attempted in previous years.

This is a very practical question though.

Let me give you a real example. In the last OFCC if i recall, I played against:

A Triple DreadKnight l+ Henchmen spam list w Forgeworld flyers and so on.

Two Mechdar lists right after the codex dropped.

A full Beaststar with venom spam + WraithKnight,

Sanguinary Guard and IG essentially with ForgeWorld Weapons teams.

Sound like a gauntlet? It was. Not one bad opponent amongst them, but some of them fully expected to beat me silly.

But can we be intellectually honest here? My heavy support consisted of 3 Firesight Marksman and I played with Darkstrider for the love of Pete. I did not bring three Riptides, there were no Broadsides at all, I did not bring an Aegis... Would a newer guy to the OFCC perhaps enjoy that? Even an intermediate? Were those the matchups we're striving for? I don't mind jumping on the grenade to make sure the rest of the team has a shot, and the Captains did their best to that end; but now a whole TEAM of grenade huggers and teams of grenade throwers?

OFCC has agreed to release the Kraken on the 4th and 5th rounds. I think asking about how that would be handled is not asking a question the Senate hasn't already asked itself. I'm just interested in what the answer was.

While you outline your list I've seen that it is often the other lists on your team that get you put in the upper brackets. I've ensured that not only I bring a list like what I want to play against but my whole team does. If three of you have guns and one has a knife, guess what the knife guy just did? Yep he brought a knife to a gun fight.

I don't mean to dismiss your concerns just looking at the coin in all the ways possible. Also Lord I assume you were the captain, so I didn't mention how if you are the local savant no matter The list you brought your captain will prolly give you the hardest match up of the round pairing.

I'm fully assuming to lose every game.  I'm not there to win, but to play with my toys and meet new people and help out and wallow in this silly man dolly hobby. 

I don't see that as a tournament, it's an event.  I have to assume that everyone attending understands this.

That said public shaming goes a long way to punish abhorrent behavior.

• Like 1

While you outline your list I've seen that it is often the other lists on your team that get you put in the upper brackets. I've ensured that not only I bring a list like what I want to play against but my whole team does. If three of you have guns and one has a knife, guess what the knife guy just did? Yep he brought a knife to a gun fight.

I don't mean to dismiss your concerns just looking at the coin in all the ways possible. Also Lord I assume you were the captain so I didn't mention how, if you are the local savant no matter The list you brought, your captain will prolly give you the hardest match up of the round pairing.

I was not the captain, but i did help set up our matchups.

Our team was the lowest rated (all 1's and a 2) two years ago.  We kind of did the same thing the last time, with a horde theme.  So there weren't any guns on our team, just knives and maybe a small .22 stashed in there..  It's just how it went.

are people actually planning on bringing titans or larger (apoc) war engines?  I mean  have some… but never considered bringing them to OFCC as part of the team event.  Now if there was a APOC event at OFCC … I would be all in lol

-d

What a great idea! A perfect Thursday or Friday event. If only we had someone willing to run the event... (hint hint)

What a great idea! A perfect Thursday or Friday event. If only we had someone willing to run the event... (hint hint)

hmmm well I guess it would depend on interest… and what kinda narrative to go with… etc.  For me… learning 6th.. learning the changes with Apoc in 6th lol.  Not against the idea about collaborating and seeing what we could do.  Who else is interested in some APOC at OFCC…?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I so want an apoc ofcc event. I would totally be down. If not to play to watch.

As for titans I think rule of cool is no range d. I hope to see some cool super heavies, might even bring a imperial titan, as I plan to run a mech themed army. I have my tau/cylon titan I might finish in time to be my stand in.

hmmm well I have a Eldar Revenant… and a AC Scorpion (super heavy with 2 pulsars) …. dreaming of a AC phantom but thats not gunna happen this year.  

As far as a APOC game goes - I would want some really nice terrain (custom table) and some sort of narrative for the battle.  

I was not the captain, but i did help set up our matchups.

Our team was the lowest rated (all 1's and a 2) two years ago.  We kind of did the same thing the last time, with a horde theme.  So there weren't any guns on our team, just knives and maybe a small .22 stashed in there..  It's just how it went.

Two years ago doesn't really count that was the weird year for comp, it wasn't a how good is it, it was how common is it. Made for really difficult matching.How did last year go? As that is the current learning curve in my opinion it went well so they are expanding allowances. Personally I'm a fan of giving someone enough rope to hang themselves and seeing who gets to come back the year after! I still get more better games at this event than I do at any other.

No, I'm sorry, you're wrong.  What you're describing is exactly why the OFCC was created - to get away from that.  The point has never, ever, been to bring everyone together.  That's why it's invitational.  The entire point of the OFCC is to create a weekend free from the "WAAC jerk idiot"  A reaction to those people is what created the first one.

I guess I stand corrected, then. I hadn't realized that I, Mikhail, Mr.MoreTanks, etc, etc, were all unwelcome at your event.

It's odd to think you would say unwelcomed, but to come and play to win it like a gt, is an unwelcomed attitude.

I guess I saw the phrases "all aspects of the hobby" and "painting, sportsmanship, and generalship in equal measure" and assumed that meant that the event wasn't intentionally-exclusionary of players looking to enjoy the hobby a particular way. No one is playing "like a gt" because there can't possibly be the same expectations of lists or players that you would see at an event like that, but that isn't the same as saying "if you're going to bring a strong list or try to win we don't want you to come." And the latter is what I seem to be hearing from folks.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

It's a fine line of semantics. If you are looking for generalship award it would not be the wrong attitude. With that being said your opponent having a good time is you first concern and should govern the majority of your descions. This is to disclude folks who can't do this.

As has been pointed out many of times the team dynamics is key to ensuring multiple personality and lists can be at the event. Captains are responsible to work together to filter the games to have the most fun. If a group comes in with 4 revevants that would be bad. If one shows up that might not be bad, hopefully the other team will have a list and player eager to play against. It's a risk the player and team will take if they bring that kind of list.

Honestly I am assume I have a grasp on the idea :-P

I guess I saw the phrases "all aspects of the hobby" and "painting, sportsmanship, and generalship in equal measure" and assumed that meant that the event wasn't intentionally-exclusionary of players looking to enjoy the hobby a particular way. No one is playing "like a gt" because there can't possibly be the same expectations of lists or players that you would see at an event like that, but that isn't the same as saying "if you're going to bring a strong list or try to win we don't want you to come." And the latter is what I seem to be hearing from folks

It shouldn't be this political.  But it is.

• Like 1

Two years ago doesn't really count that was the weird year for comp, it wasn't a how good is it, it was how common is it. Made for really difficult matching.How did last year go? As that is the current learning curve in my opinion it went well so they are expanding allowances. Personally I'm a fan of giving someone enough rope to hang themselves and seeing who gets to come back the year after! I still get more better games at this event than I do at any other.

I was 3-1-1 in the "commonality year" and I was 5-0 last year when we went horde themed.  But how I did doesn't really address the matchups themselves.  My results would not have been possible for a newer or intermediate team member, I don't think.  That would have been a bit much to overcome.

• Like 1

How do you know what the limits are on if your army will be fun to play against 5 random opponents? Seriously this is the question we should be asking. We are asking for better guidelines for army construction than what was laid out. What was laid out is too broad and has potential for a crazy range of lists. 

It is not too much to ask that there be better guidelines for army lists. If you give someone the ability to take something, like a titan or 6 Wraith Knights, you shouldn't be surprised when they show up with that.

What I am getting from this is that there are all these 'unwritten' and 'spirit of OFCC' type rules when judging lists and thinking about sportsmanship and such. I think we would all do better if these were more written and less vague. Help me to understand what to steer clear of in this current 40k environment to make sure my opponent has a good time.

• Like 1

ZIMM,  with how much the game has changed over the last 6 months, can you honestly say what will be OTT in another six?

Writing examples now is completely moot and a waste of time as they will most likely be obsolete with the next release cycle.  

On that note, that is why lists are rated and some are rejected when the total is looked at.  Expect alot of that this year.  I hope people will not complain when it happens, as it will.   But I think we all know the internet enough to realize that is wishful (ie stupid) thinking.  

Hanaur,   political?  sure, but then again, it was started for a reason, so expect that it will remain as such.  And Agent P is correct it was started to avoid the one who wants to play  just to win best general.  It is about embracing all aspects of the hobby as a TOTALITY, not everyone come and enjoy the one aspect you love.  You really need to look at each section as at LEAST equal to have a good time  Usually those that don't understand this are the ones that don't enjoy the event.   Which although I regret some don't enjoy themselves in this type of environment, don't expect it to be changed for the very vocal and very small minority.  

To everyone else,  We are playing to a grander audience, so if winning is your primary goal or winning is how you enjoy the game....then frankly, don't come.  I know that is harsh and it said every year that we are cliche for saying it, but it is true.  You wont enjoy yourself, so best you spend your hard earned hobby dollar on tourneys that cater to that.  We all know there is a lot of those tourneys, but this is not one of them.

On that note, Bigtal is giving you a glimpse of what is to come, don't expect everything to be laid out yet as we all don't know what the meta of the hobby will entail, so don't ask for it now.  I am sure we will get to that at a later date.  If you wish to discuss it, feel free, but you wont be changing the decisions already made that everything is scored completely and totally equally.  While we are on teasers (not sure if BT mentioned it), here is another one,  every category will be scored and teams ranked, then based on that ranking, each team will be ranked again on a 1-20 scale, so even if you are 1 MILLION points ahead of every one else in generalship (or sports, or painting for that matter), you are only 1 point ahead overall.  What does this mean?  Crushing your opponent doesn't give you a boost, so build your lists accordingly as there is no way you win this year on battle score or painting, or sports..... you have to do good in all to be considered at the top......frankly i 100% expect that the overall winner probably wont win any single category.  As one who just finishes good in all, will have a leg up on the team that paints good, or the team that is awesome in sports....or even the team that plays for best general.  

I know release you back to your regular programming

• Like 3

That is interesting, ranking each category equally and comparing averaging ranking for best overall. I'm curious what the results will be.

Our illustrious leader came up with it at last years OFCC and it has been discussed alot since, and we think it will really even out the disparity in scores that can be caused in normal scoring.

• Like 3

First of all, I wonder if anyone saying sportsmanship should be dropped from OFCC has ever actually been to the event. The OFCC is all about sportsmanship. The sportsmanship award is the highest honor you can get. Removing sportsmanship would cut the heart out of the OFCC and make the event just another tournament.

With a "Marshall" sitting pride of place on my trophy shelf I can only + infinity this statement.
  • Like 2