Space Marines new Beta Rule

Lyraeus

So it seems in the February White Dwarf, there is going to be a new beta rule for all space marines. 

0HQnNos_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f 

For those who hate potato cameras (me) here is some text someone transcribed from this. I bolded a very key word in that transcription.

Beta Rule - Bolter Discipline 

All Adeptus Astartes and Heretic Astartes models gain this ability. Instead of following the normal rules for Rapid Fire weapons, Rapid fire bolt weapons used by models with this ability make double the number of attacks if any of the following apply: 

The firing model's target is within half the weapon's maximum range. 
The firing model remained stationary during its previous Movement phase. 
The firing model is a Terminator, Biker ????, Centurion or Vehicle. 

This means you are always rapid firing in these situations. 

• Like 1
  • Poop 1

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/21/21st-jan-introducing-better-beta-boltersgw-homepage-post-4/?fbclid=IwAR2R4ou2I9FLxJY5pvYckwnQe3WBSW3wI_SUBaagRnS49NFfmIgYzYNtBcA

Posted 21/01/2019

Introducing: Better, Beta Bolters

40kBolters-Jan21-Share5jucsg.jpg

Bolters! Aren’t they brilliant? Take a high-calibre assault rifle, replace the bullets with mass-reactive rockets the size of drinks cans, give them to your choice of power-armoured demigod, and boom! (literally) – you’ve got the 41st Millennium’s most iconic weapon.

In the hands of a normal warrior, a bolter is deadly, but in the hands of a Space Marine, they become a divine instrument of the Emperor’s* wrath.

We’ve been thinking a lot about bolt weapons recently, and we reckon, as the iconic weapon of humanity’s finest, Space Marine bolters could be better.

40kBolters-Jan21-Marines3uve.jpg

So, we’re testing out a change to bolters in Space Marine (and Chaos Space Marine) armies, with a new beta rule:

40kBolters-Jan21-BolterDiscipline1yceg.j

Ta-da!

Bolter Discipline changes up Rapid Fire bolt weapons to work a bit differently in the hands of the Adeptus Astartes and their Heretic brethren. Now, bolter-wielding Space Marines can kick out a ferocious storm of firepower, Intercessors can hose enemies down at range, and that’s before you consider the benefits to more exotic armaments like Inferno combi-bolters…

40kBolters-Jan21-RubricTerminators4yvd.j

Veteran Warhammer 40,000 fans might be feeling a nostalgic twinge right now – and that’s because back in the distant past of 2nd Edition, the Rapid Fire rule was initially invented for Adeptus Astartes for just such a purpose – and now Space Marine and boltgun will be a combination to be reckoned with once more.

40kBolters-Jan21-Battleshot2yvdfh.jpg

As a beta rule, we’d love you to try this in your games – just give your opponent a heads up first and check they’re okay with it. Once you’ve given it a go, if you’ve got thoughts, we’d love to hear what you think – email us at 40kFAQ@gwplc.com with the topic “Beta Bolter Discipline Feedback” and we’ll consider all your feedback in the final version of this rule!

If you’d like to read a more in-depth perspective on beta rules and the thinking behind this update, be sure to check out February’s White Dwarf, coming early next month. We’ll take a closer look at the issue this Friday.

*Or, the Dark Gods’ – take your pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reivers with Bolt Carbines have the exact same statline and weapon profile as Auto Bolt Rifle Intercessors... But bring their special Shock Grenades and Terror Troops rule, plus the option for Grav Chutes or Grappling Hooks. They’re much better suited for the “always advancing all the time” role than Intercessors.

The Bolt Rifle is 30” Rapid Fire 1 S4/AP-1/D1, the Auto Bolt Rifle is 24” Assault 2 S4/AP0/D1... So from 30” to 24” the standard rifle is better, from 15” to 0” the rifle is better. Between 24” and 15” the auto rifle has a higher rate of fire, but still no armor pen.

Just now, Ish said:

Reivers with Bolt Carbines have the exact same statline and weapon profile as Auto Bolt Rifle Intercessors... But bring their special Shock Grenades and Terror Troops rule, plus the option for Grav Chutes or Grappling Hooks. They’re much better suited for the “always advancing all the time” role than Intercessors.

The Bolt Rifle is 30” Rapid Fire 1 S4/AP-1/D1, the Auto Bolt Rifle is 24” Assault 2 S4/AP0/D1... So from 30” to 24” the standard rifle is better, from 15” to 0” the rifle is better. Between 24” and 15” the auto rifle has a higher rate of fire, but still no armor pen.

I know. I gaveyou a corner case to prove your statement.

4 minutes ago, pretre said:

I know. I gaveyou a corner case to prove your statement.

Eh, the Assault Bolter has a place just not a great one now. 

1 minute ago, Ish said:

Anyone understand how this will interact with the Death Guard’s Inexorable Advance special rule?

Great question... Answer... They get it at all ranges and get rapid fire at 6" more for normal Bolters if they move. 

So in reality they almost always have it. 

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Blood Angels, Black Templars, and Death Watch are the only Chapters I can see having much use for it... and it’s a tiny niche even then.

Which is still better than useless. It also has synergy with advancing on objectives. 

I almost want to play Marines... But I like my orks and their Dakkadakkadakka 

• Like 1

Auto Bolt Rifles cost one point per man and have no AP. Is it really worth the extra 1d6” Movement?

Also, like I said before: Reivers.

Five Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles and no other upgrades: 90 Points.

Five Reivers with Bolt Carbines and no other upgrades: 90 Points.

Same stat line, same weapon profile, but the Reivers get shock grenades and the terror troops rule, and one more attack on the sergeant... 

7 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Am I the only one confused by the wording of this rule? 

Is it just a really long winded way of saying if you don't move you can double your shots, just like you would if they target was in half range?

Basically, you gain rapid fire regardless of range if you fall under one of the three scenarios, standing still, half range (like normal), or you are a vehicle, terminator, Centurion, or biker

• Like 1

It basically makes Rapid Fire weapons for Adeptus Astartes and Heretic Astartes work the way they did during Third Edition.

• Didn’t move? Double tap at all ranges.

• Did move? Double tap up to half range, single shot up to max range.

• You are a Bike, Terminator, Vehcile, or Tonka Mahreen Centurion? Double tap at all ranges.