Oil War

Ish

I’ve got the current core rulebook and Iron Maiden, but there’s no sense in me buying models now. I was interested in collecting a British force, but I’d much rather have Israelis... Given my limited free time (and budget) it just makes sense to wait.

Having said that... in 1985, the standard issue smallarm for the IDF were various models of the M16, the M113 was still the standard APC, and the Magach 5 (M48A5) and Magach 6 (M60) were still in wide use. Not to mention Cobra gunships and M109s.

There are some differences between the American “Patton” M60 and the Magach 6 that a dedicated “rivet counter” would notice and the IDF field uniform was much closer to what the Americans were wearing in 1945 than 1985... But, at 1:100 scale and with my mediocre painting skill. Hmm... 

On 2/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Ish said:

Having said that... in 1985, the standard issue smallarm for the IDF were various models of the M16, the M113 was still the standard APC, and the Magach 5 (M48A5) and Magach 6 (M60) were still in wide use. Not to mention Cobra gunships and M109s.

There are some differences between the American “Patton” M60 and the Magach 6 that a dedicated “rivet counter” would notice and the IDF field uniform was much closer to what the Americans were wearing in 1945 than 1985... But, at 1:100 scale and with my mediocre painting skill. Hmm... 

as for painting, that sounds similar to american late war inf I painted.  Here is how I did simple easy painting. My whole technique here is just base color, wash, and a little highlight.

1. hands & face:  FLAT FLESH (valejo)-paint face & hands,    SERAPHIM SEPIA (citadel)-wash face & hands,    BUFF (valejo)-drybrush/highlight face & hands

2. uniform: US DARK GREEN (valejo)-paint shirt & pants,   AGRAX EARTHSHADE (citadel)-wash face & hands,   USDARK GREEN + a little bit of something to lighten it up a little bit - drybrush/highlight uniform.

3. rest of equipment: I usually detail paint the boots & gear them apply a slightly watered down wash to the gear with no highlighting so use slightly lighter than usual colors since the wash will darken it a little.

I’m probably going to go with Rustoleum Camouflage Army Green, as my spray on primer and base coat, then pick out the webbing and other kit in tan, various flesh tones for the skin, then hit the whole figure with a sepia wash. Then pick out rifles and other weapons in black.

The IDF uniform is really pretty basic, it’d have looked right at home in the ETO... I wonder if 1:100 scale Vietnam War Americans or Afghanistan War Soviets would work? 

I’m not exactly sure how the platoon or company was organized in terms of weaponry. The basic infantryman had either an M16A1 (thanks Uncle Sam!) or a Galil ARM (which looks an awful lot like an AK-47 in real life, let alone in 1:100 scale), but I’m not sure what was in use in terms of machine guns, anti-tank weapons, mortars, etc. or how they would have been distributed amongst the squads.

idf_military_uniform_11_by_guy191184_d5i

4b36075c8a05a823fcddb9ca0cc1f2cc.jpg

The Osprey books are usually a good source of information on Uniforms and equipment. Sometimes they have organization and equipment info.

I have other Osprey books in their "Combat" series, but I don't own this one: Israeli Soldier vs Syrian Soldier: Golan Heights 1967–73 (Combat) ISBN10:1472813308

Based on other "Combat" Osprey books, I expect, that book seems to be the most likely one with detailed info on small units. 

These other Osprey titles might also have some of what u r looking 4, depending on your era:

• The Israeli Army in the Middle East Wars 1948–73 (Men-at-Arms) 0850454506
  • Israeli Defence Forces since 1973 (Elite) 0850456878
  • Israeli Elite Units since 1948 (Elite) 0850458374
  • Israeli Paratroopers 1954–2016 (Elite) 1472827716

Most of the books I looked at on Amazon only provide high-level views of organization on the Israeli Army. I saw nothing that seemed likely to give squad/platoon/company-level organization. The other end of the spectrum was personal accounts, and those usually don't tell much about organization and equipment.

If you already have infantry and are itching to get started painting, go ahead and paint them and base the riflemen 4 to a base. For the heavy weapons, paint them, but don't base them until you get the Battlefront book that shows how they organize the heavy weapons.

I’m a big fan of Osprey books, having used them a ton for SCA and undergrad course work. Mostly their medieval and napoleonic era books, but the level of quality tends to be high brandwide.

I’m going to hold out on making any purchases until the book is released. There might be some good deals on official Battlefront minis or I’ll just get creative with alternate sources.

In the meantime, I’ve got a Space Marine army that needs food and clothing and children that need painting... 

It occurred to me, just now, that rather than try to use American or Soviet infantry as Israelis, I would probably have a much easier time just using the Israelis that Battlefront already makes for Fate of a Nation. Derp. In fact, based on the few previews we've seen so far, we know that the Team Yankee Israelis will have access to Magach 6, M113, and jeeps... All of which Battlefront already sells for FoaN.

Must... resist... spending my money... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oil War Pre-orders Now Open https://www.team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6444

Oil War includes information on World War III in the Middle East, covering Israel, Iraq, Syria and Iran in Team Yankee.

Oil War: World War III In The Middle East

Mid April Releases    
Product Code    Product Name
FW917    Oil War: A4, 80 pages, Hardback
TISAB01    Kahalani's Warriors (Plastic)
TIQAB01    Hussein's Republican Guard (Plastic)
TRNAB01    Ayatollah's Revolutionaries (Plastic)
TIQ901    Iraqi Unit Cards
TIR901    Iranian Unit Cards

Late April Releases    
TIS900    Israeli Dice Set
TTK11    Israeli Token Set
TIQ950    Iraqi Decal Set
TIQ900    Iraqi Dice Set
TTK12    Iraqi Token Set
TIR950    Iranian Decal Set
TIR900    Iranian Dice Set
TTK13    Iranian Token Set

Late April Releases    
TIBX02    Magach 6 Tank Platoon
TIBX05    Pereh Anti-tank Platoon
TIBX06    ZSU-23-Shilka AA Platoon
TIBX07    M48 Chaparral SAM Platoon
TIBX08    Skyhawk Fighter Flight

Early May Releases    
TRBX01    M113 Platoon
TIR120    Anti-tank Jeep Group
TIR702    Mechanised Infantry Platoon
TIR703    Basij Infantry Company

Mid May Releases    
TSBX19    T-62 Tank Company (Plastic)
TQBX01    Mech Company
TIQ702    Mech Platoon
TIQ703    Mech Weapons Company

Mid May Releases    
TIBX01    Merkava Tank Platoon (Plastic)
TIBX09    AH-1 Cobra Attack Helicopter Platoon (Plastic)
TQBX02    VCR/TH HOT Anti-tank Platoon
TQBX03    ZSU-57-2 AA Company
TIS702    Mech Infantry Platoon

Late May Releases    
TIBX03    M113 Platoon (Plastic)
TIBX04    M109 SP Artillery Battery)
TIS120    Jeep (TOW) Platoon
TIS121    Recce Jeep Platoon
TIS704    Redeye SAM Platoon

More articles at BTA and NDDG:

OIL WAR – WWIII IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AN OVERVIEW http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/oil-war-wwiii-in-the-middle-east-an-overview/
DEFENDING THE HEIGHTS – THE IDF IN “OIL WAR” http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/defending-the-heights-the-idf-in-oil-war/
SHOOT AND SCOOT EPISODE 12 OIL WAR! http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/shoot-and-scoot-episode-12-oil-war/

Oil Wars Reviewed and Spoiled http://nodicenoglory.com/2019/03/18/needs-pics-oil-wars-reviewed-and-spoiled/
Merkava – The Israeli Defense Force in Oil War http://nodicenoglory.com/2019/03/22/merkava-the-israeli-defense-force-in-oil-war/
And Iran (so far away) http://nodicenoglory.com/2019/03/20/and-iran-so-far-away/
Iraqis and Syrians in Team Yankee: Oil War http://nodicenoglory.com/2019/03/19/iraqis-and-syrians-in-team-yankee-oil-war/