Anyone played against the FW armored battlegroup?

PourSpelur

I'm tickled pink by all the tank options in the new Guard codex. That said, I can't run ALL TANKS! Anyone have any opinions on facing an all tank army in OFCC? Having non-scoring tanks as troops really makes actually wining games a difficult task but I think it could make some fun games for both my opponent and myself. Without scoring troops I'll have the deck stacked against me but I can see some challenging and fun games happening because of this. Am I just looking through tread-colored glasses? Discuss;)

I would put some troops in a transport. It holds true to your theme of tanks, but gives you a chance to win.  Tabling your opponent will be your only chance to win with your current list, and you will be paired against people to give you the closest game possible, which makes your chances of winning very low, and makes it hard to pair you up with someone.

• Like 2

Or, take your tanks and point out to your opponent you have to table them to win.  It takes the sting out of OMG ARMOR WALL!

Some people dislike playing against armies without scoring units. It is case by case.

I have often seen players with really OP lists try to rationalize it in a casual setting by saying they are limited by their inability to win without tabling their opponent - this can mean a very unsatisfying victory to many players. It can also mean a very brutal defeat by a player that doesn't seem to get the OP of their list.

That style of play reminds me of one I did a list one time which was purposely suicidal (kamikaze). I inflicted more casualties on myself than my opponent did. I laughed my head off the whole time, but my opponent really didn't have any fun.

Basically, it boils down to whether your opponent would enjoy a game that purposely ignores the mission in favor of just bashing it out. Case by case.

Hmmm, perception can be funny like that. My thoughts were:

1. Tanks are awesome, more tanks are even more awesomer!

2. Being limited by no scoring troops adds another level to my tactics

3. C'mon tanks are sick;)

But...I can totally see someone misinterpreting bringing this list to OFCC as not being in the spirit of the event. I'll have to think about it

• Like 1

Well I would see it as the spirit of the OFCC if you make sure to bring a list that isn't to over powered. Maybe mix in hell hounds and hydras and things that are tanks and vehicles but not all high armor.

Here in lies the debate. Is a list that can't really win, ever considered overpowered?

I will note that the FW armored battle group does make tanks scoring. Should be in their special rules. List is found in IA:1 (second edition).

Hmmm, perception can be funny like that. My thoughts were:

1. Tanks are awesome, more tanks are even more awesomer!

2. Being limited by no scoring troops adds another level to my tactics

3. C'mon tanks are sick;)

But...I can totally see someone misinterpreting bringing this list to OFCC as not being in the spirit of the event. I'll have to think about it

As a player this is totally cool, coming from the captain side of things tho this sort of list is super frustrating to matchup. It throws all kinds of gum in the works. I'd reconsider as you are basically claiming the I don't care roll dice guy from opposing teams when there might be better matches for him limiting the overall match quality for all eight involved.
  • Like 4

Thanks Fix, maybe someday you can blow up my tanks;)

Checked out the IA: Armored Battlegroup rules yesterday. Holy Crap they look fun! All the Russes are the older more expensive prices but some of the FW options look interesting. Overall it looks like a weaker list than some similar lists I could make from the new IG book. Still, being difficult to match up opponent-wise may be the killing blow. I hadn't considered it from that side.

That is why I mentioned it. Personally I'd love to play it but in OFCC it would frustrate me as a captain. Best match up on my team might complain, this guy doesn't have enough anti tank to make it a game, this guy has to easy to deploy melta... I've already thrown this guy under the awkward list bus etc.