New Assassin rules from WD

Dusldorf

These look awesome. So you can have a Vanguard detachment of 3-6 assassins, and/or use reserve points and CP to include as many as you want in an Imperial army without it costing a detachment at all.

Every single assassin got an upgrade. Eversor can now fight twice with a strat and put out up to 16 attacks each time. Callidus can now increase enemy strat cost up to two times per game (w/ a strat) instead of just on the first turn. Vindicare can shoot twice with a strat. And Culexus can now make people fight last w/ a strat, and was (rightly) debuffed to affect all psykers not just enemy ones. Fun times.

The best part though is that your reserve points can pay for any one of the four assassins. So just look at your opponent's list and for 1 CP get the right tool for the job. Perfect!

• Like 1

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a few stratagems need updated wording:

Supreme Deception says in effect "until the end of that battle round." So if you went second, it ends at the end of your turn and doesn't affect your opponent at all.

Similarly with Acrobatic, which says until the start of the next battle round. So, again, if you went second you get half the benefit from the strat's defensive boost.

2 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a few stratagems need updated wording:

Supreme Deception says in effect "until the end of that battle round." So if you went second, it ends at the end of your turn and doesn't affect your opponent at all.

Similarly with Acrobatic, which says until the start of the next battle round. So, again, if you went second you get half the benefit from the strat's defensive boost.

Acrobatic loses out on some of its benefit if you're going second. Supreme Deception is used at the start of the Battle Round, tho, not the start of your Turn, so it's all good.

3 hours ago, pretre said:

It's really the ultimate sideboard. Bring four more models and find 85 points in your list. Too cool.

GSC can also do similar things with their Telepathic Summons Stratagem. They've got enough cheap, useful Units that even just 60 or so Reinforcement Points adds quite a bit of flexibility.

3 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Yeah. I'm really glad I bought the assassinorum boxed set now. I was always looking at those models like "when am I going to use all of these?"

Now. The answer is now.

I have so many that I'm not sure I can legally use them all, even with the option here 😉

17 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Acrobatic loses out on some of its benefit if you're going second. Supreme Deception is used at the start of the Battle Round, tho, not the start of your Turn, so it's all good.

GSC can also do similar things with their Telepathic Summons Stratagem. They've got enough cheap, useful Units that even just 60 or so Reinforcement Points adds quite a bit of flexibility.

I have so many that I'm not sure I can legally use them all, even with the option here 😉

Quick math... 18 in detachments no cp sadly but battle forged for 3 cp so 21... one of them would be your warlord (without a trait they can be warlords they just don't get traits). 

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Quick math... 18 in detachments no cp sadly but battle forged for 3 cp so 21... one of them would be your warlord (without a trait they can be warlords they just don't get traits). 

Rule of three puts a hard limit of 12 before using the Strat to bring them in. 1200 for 12 of them plus Loyal 32 Battalion, giving me 8 CP to "summon" 680 Points worth more, and 120 Points for gear or more dudes for the Guard. So, 20. I'm not actually entirely sure how many I have. I ran 18 at OFCC two years ago, but 6 of those were borrowed. But I know I had at least a couple more Eversors beyond that, and I've picked up at least 5 more (one of each from a 3rd party Kickstarter, plus another Vindicare, because I only had a single actual one of those). I think I have another Culexus that wasn't part of that, too. So I might be able to field them all thanks to that Stratagem. I'll have to look and see how many I actually have.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I don't like that sniper... He is basically is 85 points and kills all my key characters for orks with no chance of a save except FNP.... Yea he can go die in a fire

Snipers took a pretty major nerf in this edition not being able to kill off squad commanders or special/heavy weapon models. Just be happy he can't target your nobs. 

On the defensive end, his wounding on 2+ is only for INFANTRY, so if you put your warboss on a bike, he'll need 4s or 5s to wound. 

6 hours ago, WestRider said:

Rule of three puts a hard limit of 12 before using the Strat to bring them in. 1200 for 12 of them plus Loyal 32 Battalion, giving me 8 CP to "summon" 680 Points worth more, and 120 Points for gear or more dudes for the Guard. So, 20. I'm not actually entirely sure how many I have. I ran 18 at OFCC two years ago, but 6 of those were borrowed. But I know I had at least a couple more Eversors beyond that, and I've picked up at least 5 more (one of each from a 3rd party Kickstarter, plus another Vindicare, because I only had a single actual one of those). I think I have another Culexus that wasn't part of that, too. So I might be able to field them all thanks to that Stratagem. I'll have to look and see how many I actually have.

13, since the summon an assassin strat is only usable once per game

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Snipers took a pretty major nerf in this edition not being able to kill off squad commanders or special/heavy weapon models. Just be happy he can't target your nobs. 

On the defensive end, his wounding on 2+ is only for INFANTRY, so if you put your warboss on a bike, he'll need 4s or 5s to wound. 

Who cares if it can't kill off a squad when the damn thing can just kill my invul giving big Mek or my da jump Wierdboy as long as they wouund

16 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Who cares if it can't kill off a squad when the damn thing can just kill my invul giving big Mek or my da jump Wierdboy as long as they wouund

Grot shield...

Edit second idea, couple of vehicles to block true line of sight. One of them could even contain your lootas as you might want to use grot shield on the character. Don't have to deploy that way but if you are that dependent on the mek or wierdboy. The wierdboy could also just deploy in vehicle as he can jump out and do his job same turn. 

3 minutes ago, fluger said:
  1. I'm really excited because I wanted to make an imp soup list based on my fluff that would have IG/Ravenguard/Ad Mech and an Assassin.  Couldn't do it because of limit of 3.  Now I can.

I really hope they take a similar approach to adding Inquisition to Imperial armies 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

Not really any different than scout snipers. That big mek has a weak profile and crappy stats. And this model being able to snipe characters isn't really changed much since it's index version.

Anyway, regarding why you'd care about the sniper's lost abilities. Used to be that the Vindicare could specifically kill off your nob in your ork boyz squad. That removed the main melee threat, and then the space marines with their good saves could beat you down in melee without risking ask much. 

Also Vindicare used to be able to destroy land raiders with a single shot...he's so much weaker than he was.

4 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Not really any different than scout snipers. That big mek has a weak profile and crappy stats. And this model being able to snipe characters isn't really changed much since it's index version.

Anyway, regarding why you'd care about the sniper's lost abilities. Used to be that the Vindicare could specifically kill off your nob in your ork boyz squad. That removed the main melee threat, and then the space marines with their good saves could beat you down in melee without risking ask much. 

Also Vindicare used to be able to destroy land raiders with a single shot...he's so much weaker than he was.

It's different from scout snipers because assassins are a wild card. If you're up against a list that seems ill-suited for a vindicare -- POOF! now he's an eversor, or whatever you might want. You have to evaluate the utility of all four assassins at once against the utility of a unit that takes up a force org slot.

• Like 2