Adepta Sororitas Battle Reports

Lord Hanaur

3 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I really think it was personal.  While I have not played him (I dont think) he is friends with a couple people who just don't like me.  Sooo...  I don't think it was his back.  He seems like a sturdy fellow to me.  But one hopes you are right.

Ugh. That would be a bummer, yeah. Hopefully it was something else besides disliking you based on secondhand info.

16 hours ago, WestRider said:

Ugh. That would be a bummer, yeah. Hopefully it was something else besides disliking you based on secondhand info.

Yup.  But either way, i had a long but fun experience.  It was gratifying to do well with Sisters at a major.  And I could have done more, which is equally satisfying

• Like 1

Played Quadrant deployment, against Orks, using The Scouring as our mission.  A LOT of Orks! 

He had the usual Da’ Jump, Green Tide, Tellyporta plan to overwhelm me while his Lootaz (I never killed a single loota) blazed away at me from the rear, Grots to protect them.  One wrinkle was he had a Deffrolla tank with Nobz in it and a Warboss + Painboy.  So that was cool.  Hadn’t seen it done before.

I deployed a little more scattered than usual in anticipation of the need to cut off his charges.  It was the Scouring mission, and the 4-point objective was not in either of our deployment zones, so I knew it would be a scramble to get over there so I stuck an Exorcist and the Arco-Flagellents on the right flank to try and maybe capture it later, while the rest of the force was FAR to the left.  Seraphim in reserve (Please God, Please help me remember to deploy them).

He won the roll and chose to make me go first, so that he could gank and squat on objectives.  Adroit decision.

Because he was so threat forward, I decided to dump everything I had into his foremost ork squad and pray I could kill it all without letting it Green Tide on me.  I moved the tanks to cut off deep strikes and poured every Exorcist and bolter into the squad, using the Vessel of the Emperor Stratagem to add sharply to my accuracy and with the Canoness among them…  Good times.  The result was that he lost 18 of his 25 orks to the fusillade but more critically he was too far from his Warboss to maintain order and the unit exploded.  This was quite a blow, as he otherwise could have resurrected that entire squad and brought them in to support his efforts.

On his turn, everything advanced as fast as their ork legs would take them.  One blob streaked towards the 4 point objective in the far northeast quadrant along with some characters, while another Ork unit surged forward and another Banded together to form a 40 man Ork Squad, which then was JUMPED right in front of my sisters firing line, Evil Sunz ready to charge.  The Lootaz bracketed my Exorcist which had moved forward to cut off deep strikes and to get to the objective in the southwest quadrant ruins, though it still had a ways to go.

The Orks made a fatal error here and shot my Red Squad, which lost five members.  This increased the charge distance considerably and even after a re-roll, the orks failed to make the distance they needed (they needed to roll 11).  It was a very big moment.

Celestine leaped forward to lead the charge and the Seraphim dropped from the skies onto the Southwestern objective.  The Arco0Flagellents snaked forward into “maybe” range of charging the oncoming orks who wanted the northeastern 4 point objective.  The Sisters of Battle, elated to be able to shoot, moved up into firing position while the Exorcists continued to take up space and block off lanes for deep strikes as best they could.  En masse , The Sisters of Battle annihilated the 40 boy squad with Bolter fire, Melta fire and determination.  They even had the extra shots to whittle the Boyz squad behind them to a significant degree…but I knew full well that he would Green Tide them if I didn’t finish the job.  So Celestine rushed into them with a 9 inch charge, and through her strength of Faith, was able to attack twice!   The orks adroitly used 2 command points to interrupt her.  She got EXACTLY enough wounds to kill the whole unit to an ork after the brutal Bolter fire.

This left the Arco-Flagellents with work to do.  They made their charge and even the Missionary made it on an 11.  The result?  54 attacks (plus the Missionaries) being re-rolled, STR 5, -1 AP.  The entire Boy squad was annihilated to an ork.  Again, no possibility of Green Tide. 

The sudden loss of so many orks was demoralizing but the ork characters were resolved to continue Krumping.  The Psykers tried to kill her in the Psyker phase with Smites, but her Act of Faith protected her from the Mortal wounds.  Once that failed, they tried to shoot her to death, splitting the fire of the Lootaz between her and the Red Squad that was damaged earlier.  Red Squad took losses but Celestine stood, taking 4 wounds.  Almost gone.  One boss charged Celestine, and brought his Klaws unerringly to bear.  She would have been destroyed if she hadn’t rolled 2 6’s for her Shield of Faith right then!  She ended up having only two wounds left, unscathed.  She then dropped her holy judgement upon the Ork and but could not kill him nor attack twice of course at this point.

The Bigmek in the northeast quadrant also smashed into the Arco-Flagellents and managed to kill FOUR of them in one go!  Oofta, only two left!  The response was 12 attacks (I didn’t have the Command points to power them up anymore) and caused three wounds to the Ork.  Tough dude!

His Deffrolla found a hole in my network and drooped in into my backfield, but could not do much more than prepare for war.  Its hull rattled with the impacts of orks ready to rumble within...  He was sort of forced to place it 9” behind my Exorcist in the northeast quadrant because nothing else was really open.  It charged the Exorcist, which planted 5 wounds on it before it was a slag heap.  The Deffrolla did its job admirably.

The Seraphim moved with all speed north, as the Exorcist and a Dialogus took station on the objective they had secured.  Celestine leaped from combat with her well armed assailant and rushed towards the Seraphim and the Lootaz.  The Seraphim pistols seemed to bounce off the resilient hides of the mighty Gretchen who defended the Lootaz ,and they held on as long as they could, absorbing the charge of two Seraphim Squads, one of which made an improbably long charge to get there.  The Gretchen morale broke but not before raining many blows down on the intruding Seraphim.  In the end and they ran, leaving the Lootaz exposed.  Still, those Gretchen were highly notable in their defense of their betters.

The Sisters of Battle moved forward menacingly and finished Celestines Target and the Wierdboy who stood behind him.  Most of their firepower was wasted but they did manage a few stray shots ta the Deffrolla I nthe backfield while trying to move away from it as much as possible.

The two remaining Arco-Flagellents finished off the BigMek, and consolidated with the Missionary.  Purple Squad came out of hiding and shot the Deffrolla as well but really to no effect.  Its contents would be on their way quite soon.

The last two exorcists poured shots onto the Deffrolla and left it with 2 wounds remaining.  Disappointing number of shots!  One of the HK’s did do some work though.

There was little else to do.  The Lootaz stood alone nad exposed on the Northwest quadrant facing Seraphim and Celestine judgement.  The one Wierdboy hid behind some ruins in the north central area of the enemies deployment and then there was this Deffrolla issue…

The Lootaz realized their danger and they had the Weird Boy Jump dem to the 4 point objective in the northeast.  D’oh.  This left the Seraphim and Celestine stranded and out of the fight.  They fired down on Red Squad trying to finish it, and wisely not firing at the nearest target (Teal) this time.

The Warboss, Painboy and the Nobz all rushed from their Deffrolla fresh from killing my Exorcist.  The Warboss and Nobz made their long charge into Green and Teal Squads.  Teal took the worst of it, losing 10 of their number, but Green Squad only lost two.  The Act of Faith saved the Teal squad from deserting.  One Nob died on overwatch, as they had charged everything within 12” and so the Overwatch was not inconsiderable.

The orks conceded at this stage but the Deffrolla was going to die to Exorcist fire and the Nobs to melta and Bolter fire in my round. The Arco-Flagellents would not likely have been enough to survive the trip into the Lootaz but that was going to be what they tried., along with the missionary. Celestine would leap over and kill the Wierdboy.   Seraphim would advance ot midfield to prepare to melta any incredibly lucky Nobz. That the Canoness and her coterie did not.  By turn 6, likely tabled.

Brutal fight, but the biggest issues I saw were:

1         No KFF.  This one thing would have made ALL the difference in his ability to keep ENOUGH alive to then Green Tide them.  Different game then! 

2         Putting the Warboss too far away or else taking casualties too near the Warboss.  Either way it cost him his first mob.  That was huge and something he will not do again I am sure.

3         Shooting the unit he needed to charge.  I think we’ve literally all done this at some point and realized “oh crap” right afterwards when the shooting goes a little TOO well.  Lol.  This was really the big tactical issue which triggered everything else.

4         I would have forced the issue by putting the Deffrolla on the table and using it as mobile terrain to advance behind.  Deep Striking boyz, tellyporting them and Green Tiding them is very effective and I think his fighting strength would have gone a long ways if he had simply not taken any wounds at all, and saved his Green Tide for the pivotal round 2, where all the donuts are made for orks.

5         Going second was a decent move because:  objectives and Da Jump.  So I totes might have done the same.   Going first does however allow you to bring in your triple threat that much faster and tie up the shooting before the enemy can do it in round 2.  So there was something to be said here for taking the initiative when it was available.  I am torn on this decision but I think if the Deffrolla had been deployed, you definitely go first.  So that Deffrolla was the key deployment error I think.  Everything else was as it should be but that probably would have made him going second look like genius.

Great opponent though, great game and he will come back with all those things in mind to defeat me.

20190814_200349.jpg

Another fight to the death!  Battle Report to follow.  This time against the dreaded Astra Militarum.  9 pieces of armor, and a whole lot of it artillery against T3 Sisters and their 3 tank buddies.  What can one Sister do against such Dakka?

Facebook pic/Battle report link 1:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/185402052000929/permalink/523149911559473/

Facebook pic/batreport  link 2:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/185402052000929/permalink/523235164884281/

Astra Militarum v Sisters of Battle.jpg

SOME THINGS TO NOTE:

The sun sets.

After 52 games running my Sisters of Battle list in its current iteration, I am ready to step into new shoes.

I was 42-6 and had already declared that by popular demand I would take on the challenge of playing Grey Knights (the local players literally voted on the choice of army, don’t blame me). 

But before I did, I decided to make one last push with them in the event Saturday.  4th in the world as pure Sisters of Battle is pretty cool, but I thought it would be neat if I could exceed that before the switch.

This was to be a FOUR round single day tournament.  So if you like endurance tests, this was one.  RARELY have I been to one that was like that.  I have run a couple of them though!

Interesting and important note:  This tournament required you to concede the choice of deploying first and going first to the player with the lower ITC standing!  Further, it required you to let them disallow one deployment zone FIRST and then you could also.  That was a very different twist, but interesting.  Just a huge advantage.  As I was the highest ranked player, I was REQUIRED to concede this to EVERY opponent I faced all day.  Oofta.  Tough to do, knowing that your opponent gets to pick who goes first EVERY GAME, before you even start.  Lol.

Game 1

It’s always better when you go to events and get to play people you have never played before.  On one hand, you don’t know their army, their tendencies nor their particular list as well as you normally would.  On the other hand, it’s exactly what you hope for, to get better.

In this case he was playing a mostly Primaris Space Wolf list, with a powerful dreadnought (Forge World I think) and Predators, plus a Venerable Dread.  Seem to be seeing more Dreadnoughts in general lately, especially the damnable Forge World variety.  He got first turn, and used it to try and destroy my Exorcist, and put 6 wounds on it, while his other units positioned.  I responded by trying to use the terrain to force his Heavies to move in order to hit me.  As it was, that round could have gone much worse for me than it did, but the Emperor protects and the Shield of Faith is a thing.  This also allowed me to Kill his Venerable, and the Tacticals who were blockading and advancing in front of it.  From there, the dominoes began to fall as I continually used my movements to avoid the worst of his shooting while inflicting my own jabs.  Celestine was able to Drive down the middle and take out his Buffmaster 3,000, and inflict wounds on the units trying to advance up the middle on me.  The big boom got dropped when his Primaris advanced, in order to take more objectives than me, but they got too close and the Arco-Flagellents murdered them to a man, on my right flank.  After return fire and desperate attempts to kill Celestine (but she rose again) the jig was up, and the Arco-Flagellnets rained destruction on them again, with Celestine finishing off the character corps.  The Space Wolves quickly fell after that, unable to recover from sustained Exorcist fire and the invasion of their back lines.  The Sisters took relatively little in the way of casualties. 

Sisters of Battle Victory  40-0

Game 2

The price of success is facing what could be a very tough army.  I faced Bobby and his Orks.  He had rumbled over his previous opponent with his huge number of Smasha Guns and Lootaz, coupled with his hordes of orks.  I have never seen so many of those guns played (There must have been TWELVE of those things), but when he reminded me of how they work I had a feeling this was going to be bloody.  I wasn’t wrong.  We played on the pointy Hammer and Anvil, so his range was a real advantage.  Other than the Exorcists I have no range to speak of. 

I began by swinging what I could left, to use the shadow of the LOS blocker to save me from the lions share of his shooting.  Celestine shot into the building to claim the central objective.  The Exorcist Battle Tanks were able to kill 2 of his Smasha Guns which was a good start ,but left one with one wound left, a little bittersweet.  His response didn’t really come as a shock.  Lootaz killed all but one of Teal Squad, and some Smasha Guns put serious damage on Green Squad as well, while the rest of the guns focused on the tanks as LOS allowed.  His Orks got dropped on Celestines head, and crushed all but three of Pink Squad, while locking up Yellow Squad with the pile in and consolidation.  In all, 33 Sisters of Battle died turn one with Celestine!  He had a 40 ork blob knocking on the doors and he had blasted a hole in me.

My response had to be strong or this was going to be a short fight.  The Missionry and Arco-Flagellents broke from cover while the remnants of Pink Squad as well as the locked up Yellow squad dropped back from combat.   Green Squad limped to the safety of the Arco-Flagellents previous hiding spot at full tilt to avoid annihilation.  The Teal Squad survivor who held through sheer Faith, ran to cover but forward to help block off more Deep Strikes.  The Seraphim leaped forward as well, concealing themselves from shooting and preparing their assault while creating a bigger halo to avoid the future Deep Strikes.  This plan worked.  The Canoness’s Heroic intervention the round before plus Celestines Heavy Flamer and a few bolt pistols etc…  shaved some of the 40 man ork squad down to 28 and and then the Arco-Flagellents absolutely demolished the entire ork mob.  The Seraphim murdered the warboss who was buffing them, with Fusion pistols.  My only regret was forgetting to move Celestine but as it turned out she was left alone holding the center objective when the blood began turning the ground into a quagmire.  Turns out, 40 orks can put out a lot of blood.  The answering blow was telling.  3 Smashaguns were downed by the Exorcists!

The response was brutal from the Loota.  Total overkill on the unit of offending Seraphim who killed their bozz, but there were no other targets other than the Exorcists and Celestine!  So the SmashaGunz and the Vigilus BigMek gunner (warlord)  tried to do work on them, but didn’t manage to entirely kill an Exorcist in that volley.  They would live to regret it.  No one could get enough shots on Celestine to kill her but she was wounded and had to heal on her turn.  Another ork mob showed up to threaten the Seraphim on my right.  I had spread out expertly, they really could only do that, and then failed their charge on the remnant of that squad (he shot them enough to make it a longer charge).

On Celesintes next turn, she healed and then she charged and fought twice through sheer force of Faith, killing not one but four clustered characters after Heavy Flaming one near to death.  The Exorcists continued to finish off Smashaguns, killing three more, all that were in range in fact.  Seraphim leaped forward and murdered the Warlord Bigmek, while the Seraphim that escaped the ork mobs wrath flew at miximum speed away to cover on wings of Faith.  The orks were in the open…

The orks pursued and tried to make it to a meaningful target but it was just too far.  The compensation they got for their efforts was for the Arco-Flagellents to fly forward and kill the entire mob…again!

Warlord gone, Smashaguns smashed, most characters murdered and Lootaz with only a couple of choices as to targets, he made a half hearted effort to kill an Exorcist, did, and then capitulated.  There just was no coming back.  Outside of a few orks, a few smashaguns and the Lootaz (who really only had one target of note) there really wasn’t much left and no way to project force.   The lootas were soon to be tied up and dying in droves.

31-8 Sisters of Battle Victory

Game 3

This game was against Logan, one of the 5 people to have beaten my list, so I was very intrigued to see what he would bring.  True to his previous form, he brought Space Wolves and a mean, mean list FILLED with Forge World shenanigans.  His army was essentially the diametric opposite of the Orks:  an artillery battery of 3 Scorpius Launchers and three Something-or-other Quad launcher thingees that were super easy to hide.  He could and DID fit all of it behind one building which largely blocked my LOS.  He then had a unit of 7 and unit of 6 Wulfen (always brutal) plus Grimnar to empower his serious artillery barrages, a Jumppack Lieutenant, a Chaplain Dread that couldn’t be shot,  and some Marines for show and blocking (along with his little two man crews for the Quad Launchers).

His plan was to basically delete a squad a round, for six rounds (comfortably as unseen as poissible), while his Wulfen ate anything that dared to stray closer to his Artillery.  The terrain setup was awesome for this since he had a great piece of terrain to hide behind.  Apparently this plan worked like a charm because he ended up taking 2nd place ANDd blasting most of his opponents straight off planet earth.

I seized.  I advanced with everything and got pretty far away from his menacing Wulfen up the middle, which I had carefully measured from to begin the game to make sure they were 25" away or more.  In our first engagement I had not done this and it was very very much to my detriment.  This gave me lots of leeway to avoid them for at least an extra round.  I then killed a Scorpius with two of the Exorcist Battle Tanks by zooming them up the right board edge to get better LOS (at the expense of accuracy but so what, they were paper weights if I had not).  Then the Vessel of the Emperors Will took care of the movement penalties for me.  I bracketed a second Scorpius as well.

On his turn he did exactly as his army is designed to.  He deleted an entire Squad even despite his losses, and started closing in with his Wulfen albeit they had a longer trip to make it than they had hoped because as aforementioned, I had swung WAY far to my right.

I then deleted the second and third Scorpius as well as a Quad Launcher, by moving tanks yet again to get line of sight.  The Sisters had formed a fence with Pink Squad.  The first of his Wulfen units crashed into it and the Seraphim that were there.  It held well thanks to the blessings of Celestine and the Warlord.  The Sisters behind them then shifter positions left and with Flamer, bolters and Meltaguns, the Holy Trinity, they destroyed the 6 man Wulfen Squad after it did severe damage to their sisters in Teal Squad (could have been worse).  The seven man squad was quite unscathed however and we disengaged from it to avoid immediate annihilation.

At this stage it was clear that the enemy plan was foiled.  Objectives were falling too easily to me and the Seraphim reserves were taking Recon points as well as advancing on the enemy positions, eventually taking one of their objectives from them with Fusion guns.  Thisforced a Lieutenant to desperately try to re-establish that beachhead and dying in the end for his efforts.

At the end of the day the Seraphim, and the Exorcist tanks, spelled doom for the Chaplain and every other model there.  I tabled the entire army.

35-11 Sisters of Battle Victory

Game 4

I played Michael, a guy who’s been to the top table recently and was here again.  He has a Drago Paladinstar list that is really tough to kill, which pumps out very serious levels of accurate Dakka much like some Death Guard Terminator lists are designed to do.  I have played him before, and he has an apothecary and a flag wielding Ancient who gives out free attacks.  Accompanying him were the perfunctory baby-Carrier Grand Master and then the 3 cool Venerable Dreadnoughts he likes to use to bring the long range can opening fun to the party, including one that is Forge World (I mean…why not I guess…).  Sprinkle with the three strike Squads and…GO!

He made me go first, knowing he’d be be-bopping around and teleporting to objectives anyways as he saw fit, and all his stuff was hidden from me, so I had like no shots.  All I could do was literally move…  But movement can be a weapon too.  I spread out taking up as much space as I couple to the left of center.  His Paladin  Star was sort of limited to the far left side of the board if it wanted choice shots, and the Bonus Point objective I took over in round 2 convinced him he couldn’t keep allowing that either.  So in he jumped, and his Dread Knight Gated over to help (after failing to in round one).  Yellow Squad disappeared in a puff of smoke.  Ouch.  I did get the bonus point though!

I dropped my Seraphim in to the right, far enough away to frustrate any charge attempts over the terrain I was behind.  Since the Dreadnoughts couldn’t see me, or make a reasonable charge, they didn’t venture out of their cover, using Astral Aim to fire at my tanks like the cowards they were.  Meaning they put 6 wounds on an Exorcist with just one shot! 

The response was 11 wounds to his Dread Knight, while my ENTIRE ARMY basically ran to the right and into buildings or behind cover.  We had no interest in being gunned down by the Paladin star or giving up points.  This touched off a race.  Draigo, the Apothecary and the Ancient chased down my Exorcists and little Purple Squad(one of my Engineers) to my lower left while they fought a fighting retreat.  Purple Squad would eventually fall.  The rest of the Paladins tried to catch up to my fleeing units and kill Celestine (which they did, though she rose again) and took the bonus objective from me.  The entire army spent the rest of the game running to my right (except the Missionary and Arco-Flagellents of course) and the Seraphim killed all his Dreadnoughts over the course of two turns.  Celestine EVENTUALLY got there to help and BAAAAARELY managed to kill 5 Grey Knights with 30 combined attacks over the last two rounds.  I rolled like garbage the whole game really, but I was smart enough not to let him have his day in court with those GK’s on my Sisters!  His pursuit of my Purple Squad and Exorcists ended with him JUST in range of my Arco-Flagellents (engineers).  They had to make an improbable 12 Inch charge (needed 11 on the dice, got it with re-roll) that finally killed Drago.  Drago had taken endless Exorcist shots, but my rolling and his rolling combined to make me look like an idiot.  The Arco-Flagellents did the job though.  One can argue with many things but 33 STR 5 -1 AP attacks (re-rolling misses) isn’t one of them.

At games end, I had fired exactly ZERO shots at his Paladin Star, had killed only 15 Strike Squad members, plus the three Dreadnoughts and the DreadKnight… But…

30-19 Sisters of Battle Victory.

AFTERMATH:

So at the end of the day, the Sisters of Battle prevailed, winning the tournament outright.  It was a really great way to cap off what has been a seriously fun run, with a codex that is oh so in need of its newer self.  Lol.  The Index was a better codex in most Sisters players opinions!  But I always have loved a challenge, and it’s kind of my passion to find UNORTHODOXY and go for it.

I’ll still add to this, if I do play some Sisters games, but expect to see much more from me about Grey Knights (and I am sure, a bumpy ride given its equally distressed state right now).

As a side note, the victory did make me the number 2 pure Adepta Sororitas player in z world!  also best on the west coast.  Hooray!  That felt pretty good also, for however long that lasts.

46-6

On 8/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Inquisitor66 said:

Care to comment on how you felt about the various SoB units in general, both strong and weak?  I am a returning SoB player, and would appreciate the knowledge from a veteran SoB player.

I mean sure!

https://40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-state-of-sisters-of-battle.html