2019 OFCC 40K Team Event Players Guide - Version 1

PLEASE NOTE: This is Version 1 of the Guide and it may change as we get closer to the event

Welcome to the 2019 OFCC 40K Team Event Players Guide! (as of 3/12/2019)

This post will outline everything you need to know to play in this year's 40K Team event. This is a 2 day, 5 round event on August 17th and 18th.

As you read through this guide, you will notice that this event is not referred to as a tournament. OFCC is about focusing on the experience and not the outcome. There is nothing wrong with wanting to perform well and to celebrate victory, but if that is your sole motivator for playing at OFCC then you may be disappointed.

The Basics:

• This a team event and it requires every player to be a member of a team in order to participate
  • If you are new to Ordo or new to OFCC this can feel like a pretty big barrier, but there are several options available to you
    • Join an existing team
      • As players come and go from our hobby and our area, we have existing teams looking to fill opening with new players
      • These connections are normally made through the Ordo forums, but can also be done through the Ordo Facebook group
      • Watch for posts and/or start a post and make your interest known
    • Start a new team
      • Due to the popularity of the event, we are regularly adding new teams of players to join us annually
      • Taking the initiative to join other interested players to form a new team is a great way to dive into the OFCC experience with both feet
    • Offer to play as a ringer
      • If you are not ready to make the commitment to join an existing team or start a new one and would just like to check out OFCC, maybe offering to be a ringer would be a better fit
      • Ringers are standby players who are available to fill in due to absence or illness during the event weekend
      • Although there is no guarantee of play, many times ringers have an opportunity get a game or two in over the weekend
  • If anyone is interested in playing and doesn't know where to start, you can always reach out to me via email or PM

Team Requirements:

• The team size is 4 players
  • One team member must be designated as the Captain
  • Due to the added responsibility required of being a team captain, players must be approved to become a team captain
    • Approval can be through forum post, PM, or email
    • A list of all teams and their approved captains will posted publicly and updated regularly

Becoming a Captain:

• For returning captain's, the approval process will be little more than a formality as they are generally familiar with the duties and responsibilities required for that role
  • For new captains, the approval process is not designed to serve a gate to restrict your access to the event but rather an opportunity to prepare you to be successful in that role and ensure you want to take on the additional responsibility 
  • Any player looking to become a captain for their team can contact me via email, PM, or through the dedicated post that will be started shortly after this guide is published

Captain's Responsibilities:

Team Captains are the true heroes of OFCC, and greatly contribute to what makes this event a success.

Team Captains will be asked to:

• Submit a Team Roster by email or PM containing the following details as they receive them:image.png
  • Review the team's army lists and have them submitted on time
  • Remind their team to purchase their event tickets
  • Ensure the team meets OFCC painting and basing minimums
  • Educate new players about the spirit of OFCC
  • Determine player matches during the event
  • Review scoring sheets and report game results during the event

List Rating and Matches:

• There will be no list rating this year, but captains are expected to review and submit lists prior to the event
  • Once again this will be a Team vs Team competition, with Captains determining the match ups each round
  • Also, Teams will have the ability to prearrange Challenge Matches for each of their games on Saturday (3 in total)

Challenge Matches:

• Challenge matches are optional, and not required for play on Saturday
  • All challenge matches must be prearranged by 8/1/2018
  • Both Captains must agree to the challenge match 
  • After 8/1, challenge matches cannot be changed
  • Challenge matches must be arranged through the Captain's forum, via email, or by sending me a PM
    • Challenge matches must be confirmed by me before they will be scheduled, do not assume it is been scheduled until you receive your confirmation
    • A list of all confirmed challenge matches will be publicly posted

List Building Restrictions:

OFCC is about celebrating our hobby, demonstrating good sportsmanship, and playing fun games. Players are encouraged to bring armies that reinforce those values. This event is designed to encourage and reward players who embrace the experience.

• The army size must be no more than 2,000 points
  • It can include any 40K units from any number of 40K approved Games Workshop or Forgeworld sources
  • The maximum number of detachments your army can contain is 4
  • The number of times each datasheet can be included is 4 (6 for Troops and for Dedicated Transports)

List Building Guidance:

Over the years, OFCC has taken many approaches to list construction. We have used rating systems, review processes, unit restrictions, and list building guidelines with varying degrees of success. All of these systems were used to serve a common purpose, which was to foster an environment where every player had their best chance to play 5 great games.

This year, I will outline a few things to avoid when building your lists for OFCC.

Baring the near countless special abilities present in the units across the 40K universe, most things can be boiled down to their lethality and durability. When you compare the damage dealt or taken versus their points cost, you will develop a sense of how lethal or durable they are in comparison to other units in your army and, with enough experience, their overall effectiveness in the larger universe. It is not a bad thing to want to make good choices for your army or play with the best units, the problem is when those choices are taken to the extreme. When that happens then there is little room for casual or friendly play.

Enough preaching, here is the actual outline:

• It is okay to take effective units from your Codex, but avoid maximizing those choices
  • Extremely lethal or extremely durable units can be unpopular, use with caution
  • Building a force that dominates one phase of the game will always be tough on your opponent

Take advantage of the relative safety of the OFCC gaming environment to make diverse and unique choices for your army. Between Captain's match ups and challenges rounds, it would be hard to find a better place to bring something crazy and different. 

Captains will be asked to review list from their team and will be encouraged to post that list on the Captain's forum to review with their peers.

Event Specific Rules:

• This event will use the Games Workshop 8th Edition 40K rules and the Games Workshop official FAQ documents
    • Some beta rules are under consideration and this section will be updated if they are allowed in the event
      • UPDATE - The beta Adeptus Custodes rules from Forgeworld have been approved for use
      • If there is something specific you would like to be considered, please ask

What to Bring:

• Your painted and based army (see Painting and Basing Requirements)
    • Dice
    • Tape measure
    • A printed copy of your army list
    • A good attitude and desire to have fun

Painting and Basing Requirements:

• All models within OFCC armies must be fully painted and based
      • Painting must include 3+ colors
      • Effort must be made to transform or replace the bare plastic base
      • Models that fail to meet the event minimum cannot be used during the event

Models, Counts As and WYSIWYG:

• Games Workshop models are not required for this event
      • Alternate models should reflect the same scale as the Games Workshop equivalent
      • Weapon upgrades and certain model specific wargear should be represented on the equipped model
        • It is impossible to outline all the examples, so here is a good rule to follow
          • If a unit would be impacted by the removal of something equipped to a specific model (banner, special weapon, etc.) then it must be represented
      • Proxies are not allowed in the 40K Team Event
        • A proxy is a placeholder when you don't have an appropriate model to use
      • Counts As armies are allowed during the 40K event with the following guidelines:
        • Effort must be made to represent the model/unit in question
        • Representation must be consistent across the army
        • It is the responsibility of the player who bring a Counts As army to inform their opponent early and often about what is being represented
        • Any specific questions or additional guidance should be directed to me

Awards:

The Team Based Awards available this year will be:

• Best Painted
        • Best Spirit
        • Marshall Johnson Award (Best Sportsman)
        • Best Overall
          • Best Overall will be calculated from 40% Sports, 25% Painting, 30% Spirit, and 5% Captain Achievements
            • The list of Captain Achievements will be published prior to the event

Note: Although we do not award a Best General, we do track battle scores and use them to break ties in all award categories

Also, the bonus award Roll For Initiative will earned by the first fully paid 40K team

Missions:

The Mission Pack will be published on June 1st and will contain all 5 of the OFCC 40K Missions. 

Event Scoring by Category:

Each team will have the ability to earn points in each scoring category (Paint, Spirit, Sports) before the event AND during the event. The total points scored will determine team's position in each category and contribute to calculating the scores for Best Overall.

Pre-Event Scoring:

Each player/army that achieves one of the below items will score 1 point per completion. If all players on a team achieve the same item they will receive a bonus point. 

Painting:

• Photo Spread - Team post on the Ordo Forums with pictures of each army
        • Early Screening - Display your army Friday evening for paint judging

Spirit:

• Advanced Planning - List submitted for review before 7/28/2019
        • All In - Ticket purchased before 7/14/2019

Sportsmanship:

• Going Old School - Sources?!? You mean source! Your whole army fits within a single Detachment with no single model over 400 points or over 20 wounds
        • No surprises - Start a dedicated post on the Ordo 40K Forums for your team, then add information about your players and their army lists

List Submissions:

• All army lists should be emailed to 40K.OFCC@gmail.com
        • Army lists should include all units, wargear, corresponding points cost, and source(s)
        • Include the name of the Team in the title of the email and label each list with the name of the playe

Paint Scoring Process:

Every player will have their army evaluated using the 5 Scoring Criteria listed below:

• Basing
          • Textured/painted/flocked/resin/etc.
        • Painting
          • Represents the three-color minimum
        • Depth
          • Extra care for shading and highlighting
        • Detail
          • Modeling, conversions, putty work, etc...
        • WOW Factor
          • A great representation of an army/faction/team

In each category, an army will receive 0-2 points. The rubric for determining each value is listed below to better shape your hobby decisions.

Basing
        0 - Bare plastic or resin, void of paint or basing material
        1 - Paint or basing material applied
        2 - Multiple colors, a variety of material, the bases demonstrate a level of care and effort

Painting
        0 - Bare plastic, only primer, less than 3 colors
        1 - 3 or more colors, generally referred to as tabletop standard
        2 - A variety of colors, shades, and tones setting the model apart from the standard

Depth
        0 - No effort made to illustrate depth of the model's details
        1 - Drybrushing, washing, edge highlighting to varying degrees
        2 - Blending, smooth transitions, skillful application of the techniques listed at level 1

Detail
        0 - Model is built as designed with no variation
        1 - Some conversion work, purposeful construction to demonstrate variety, scratch building, minor sculpting
        2 - Heavy conversion, extensive scratch building and/or sculpting, clearly a unique representation of the army

WOW Factor
        0 - A tabletop presentation that does not go far enough to stand out from the crowd
        1 - Unified and cohesive, can definitely stand out as a excellent example of the force represented
        2 - A true showcase, representing the highest level of skill and technique of our hobby

At OFCC, we should never see a painting score below 2 (1 for Basing and 1 for Painting) since everyone must meet that minimum requirement for this event.

Questions:

For any questions, please feel free to reach out to me in the following ways:

• Send a PM through the forums
        • Reach out via Facebook
        • Send an email to 40K.OFCC@gmail.com
        • Stop by in person at WOW on a Tuesday night

We look forward to seeing you in August!

TICKETS CAN BE PURCHASED HERE!

• Like 8
        • Thanks 1

So at last year's OFCC (I was there for Infinity) I overheard something at the awards ceremony about sacrificing a model and putting it in the cannon. What's the deal with that? I'm thinking about coming out to play this year, but if I have to lose a model for it (because lord knows I won't be winning any awards) I'm hesitant.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

So at last year's OFCC (I was there for Infinity) I overheard something at the awards ceremony about sacrificing a model and putting it in the cannon. What's the deal with that? I'm thinking about coming out to play this year, but if I have to lose a model for it (because lord knows I won't be winning any awards) I'm hesitant.

Each team (not each Player) that doesn't win Best Overall puts a Model in the Bucket (or now, Cannon) of the Dead. It's generally worked out in advance among the team who will come up with the Model for it. It's generally someone who can spare one for whatever reason, and usually just a basic troop or something, altho some people do like to put something bigger in, especially if its performance was particularly disappointing over the weekend! 😉

• Like 2
        • Thanks 1
        • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StygianArcanum said:

I've heard that it should be a model that you used in the event, but I've also heard that it doesn't have to be. I think of it as a tribute to future generations, as they someday look at all the fallen of the participants.

That is usual, but sometimes people will also do one up specifically to go in the bucket.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:00 PM, StygianArcanum said:

I've heard that it should be a model that you used in the event, but I've also heard that it doesn't have to be. I think of it as a tribute to future generations, as they someday look at all the fallen of the participants.

There are about 13 years worth of 40k models in that cannon, just FYI. Lots of reminders of good friends and good games in there. 

• Like 4
        • Thanks 1

Love how early this is revealed, thanks!

Two early list writing questions:

1) Do you want Warlord traits, relics, etc. (obviously not ones obtained thru stratagems) specified on the list, or is that okay to decide at the table?

2) I don't remember the question, but it was probably profound. I'll post it later if it comes back to me. 🙃

• Thanks 1
        • Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:45 AM, evil_bryan said:

The number of times each datasheet can be included is 4

Does this apply to Troops choice as well? Is it possible to have 4 space marine tactical squads, but not 5? I'm new to the group, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

2 hours ago, naosuke said:

Does this apply to Troops choice as well? Is it possible to have 4 space marine tactical squads, but not 5? I'm new to the group, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Troops typically don't have this issue but I am curious about this... Ork players might get hurt over this... 

14 hours ago, Munkie said:

Love how early this is revealed, thanks!

Two early list writing questions:

1) Do you want Warlord traits, relics, etc. (obviously not ones obtained thru stratagems) specified on the list, or is that okay to decide at the table?

2) I don't remember the question, but it was probably profound. I'll post it later if it comes back to me. 🙃

Nope, I don't think you need that level of detail. The list submission serves three real purposes; it allows a player to move from the planning stage to the building and painting stage, it allows the captain to review your list (or other captain via the Captain's forum), and it allows me to identify any potential issues.

• Like 1
        • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, evil_bryan said:

Regarding datasheet limits, I have amended the line to read:

• The number of times each datasheet can be included is 4 (6 for Troops)

This should allow for the fielding of a Brigade, but still encourage unit diversity

Will make multiple ork battalions difficult but possible. 

14 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Will make multiple ork battalions difficult but possible. 

How so? 

I'm not familiar enough with the New Ork book, but 6 boyz squads is enough to make two battalions, right? And with the new rule of 4, you can take 4 of your preferred HQ. That's everything you need for 2 battalions. Flavor to taste with Elites, FA, HS, flyers, and transports?

Or do they have trust issues like the Drukhari (which are actually 3 small, separate factions in one book) and don't play nice together? 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 12:06 AM, Munkie said:

Oh, I remember now! I just had to return to the place where I originally thought of the question--my bed.

2) Index options. Are we doing the flowchart? If we are allowed index options that codices lack, do we pay the index cost for guns and equipment, codex cost, or highest cost as a penalty for tricksiness?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

How so? 

I'm not familiar enough with the New Ork book, but 6 boyz squads is enough to make two battalions, right? And with the new rule of 4, you can take 4 of your preferred HQ. That's everything you need for 2 battalions. Flavor to taste with Elites, FA, HS, flyers, and transports?

Or do they have trust issues like the Drukhari (which are actually 3 small, separate factions in one book) and don't play nice together? 

Sure, if want small easily killed squads then yes. 10 boyz is 70 points but they have t-shirts for saves and are basically free kills for your Opponents. 

Gretchin are also there but they die hyper fast (heh... T2... Heh....) 

Battalions are possible and easy but I likely meant brigade. Which for orks means no more than 2 of those

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Oh, I remember now! I just had to return to the place where I originally thought of the question--my bed.

2) Index options. Are we doing the flowchart? If we are allowed index options that codices lack, do we pay the index cost for guns and equipment, codex cost, or highest cost as a penalty for tricksiness?

Flowchart please... 

59 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Sure, if want small easily killed squads then yes. 10 boyz is 70 points but they have t-shirts for saves and are basically free kills for your Opponents. 

Gretchin are also there but they die hyper fast (heh... T2... Heh....) 

Battalions are possible and easy but I likely meant brigade. Which for orks means no more than 2 of those

Ah gotcha. Drukhari can't even take 2 cult, kabal, or coven battalions without using special characters under the rule of 3. Building a purely single sub-faction list is incredibly restrictive. Not one of them can build a Brigade on their own, and must spam 3 mercenary units to fill minimums.

I love Drukhari, but list building is always tough to do.

Rule of 4 opens it up a lot for me!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Ah gotcha. Drukhari can't even take 2 cult, kabal, or coven battalions without using special characters under the rule of 3. Building a purely single sub-faction list is incredibly restrictive. Not one of them can build a Brigade on their own, and must spam 3 mercenary units to fill minimums.

I love Drukhari, but list building is always tough to do.

Rule of 4 opens it up a lot for me!

That's fair though you have access to alternative resources such as Eldar and harlequins, or heaven forbid Corsairs. 

Orks... Have orks. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KevinC said:

What is this "Cannon" heresy? The bucket is an ancient and revered relic of the Age of Strife. It has at least 3 of my Blood Angels in it!

The bucket runeth over. Now a mighty cannon houses everything the bucket held and more! Not a drop of your blood angels was wasted.