Dogs-of-War 2020 - Flames of War Tournament - APR 2020

barca

WHAT: Dogs-of-War 2020 - Flames of War Tournament  this thread is now obsolete. new thread is here: https://www.ordofanaticus.com/topic/213623-dogs-of-war-2020-flames-of-war-tournament-rescheduled/
WHEN: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 10:00 AM to 8:45 PM - reservation confirmed being rescheduled for Late August
WHERE: At Guardian Games: Level-up Room (upstairs)
Store location: 345 SE Taylor Street, Portland, OR 97214 United States, Phone: 503-238-4000 , Store Website: https://ggportland.com/calendar/
WHO, HOST: 'barca'
WHO, PARTICIPANTS: Any Flames of War player, age 21+ who can bring an army and pay the fee.
WHO, SPONSORS: Sponsored by Rose City Dukes and Duchesses and Guardian Games.
WHY: To compete, have fun, earn bragging rights, have 'war stories'
COST: ENTRY FEE: $20 CASH ONLY, to barca, before event, or at Registration.
THEME: Late War, Western Front, D-Day (June 6- July 24, 1944)
THEATRE: Northwest France - Normandy + Cotentin
AGE LIMIT: Participants must be 21 years of age, or older to be in GG Level-up Room
FORMAT: De-escalation: 3 Missions, decreasing time and points (hard stop = current turn left unfinished)
ROUND / Points  / Time  / Mission
  1   / 115 pts / 2h45m / Battle Plan
  2   / 100 pts / 2h30m / Battle Plan
  3   /  85 pts / 2h15m / Free-For-All

LISTS:  1) list for review submitted by email; 2) Each player must have at least 1 copy of each list to show their opponent. List at tournament may be in electronic or paper format.
FORCE LISTS: All Official Battlefront Late-War D-Day lists: LW v4 handbooks or Forces-of-War (no Soviets/Russians).
MODELS: Must be painted, 3 colors minimum. No proxies.
LIST VALIDATION: Send ONLY your 115 pt Force List to barca at rcdd1@gmx.com NLT midnight, APR 4, 2020

Force lists for rounds 2 & 3 are include Round 1 list formations. Cards and support may vary on rounds 2 & 3, but must be a legal list.
PERIOD: Late-War D-Day & Normandy
OVERHEAD COST and PRIZES: The first $50.00 of fees go to room rental. The remainder of fees go to prizes for this tournament.
RULES: Battlefront Flames of War, fourth edition, and v 4 Lessons from the Front. No house rules.
AWARDS:
1. Renaissance Commander
2. Best General
3. Player's Choice
4. Master-of-tactics
5. Best Painted Platoon
6. Best Table (D-Day / Normandy -themed Terrain)

RULES:
Enfilade 2020 v4 Flames Of War Late-War Tournament
Ruleset: Current v4 rules, using either:
A) Flames Of War Rulebook: 4th Edition (reprint as of 2019), (Product Part Number: FW009, ASIN = 1988558077)
or
B) The 2017 edition of Flames Of War Rulebook: 4th Edition, 1942-1943, (Product Part Number: FW007, ASIN = 0992255589)
If using B, then:
1) you must read this article to know the differences between the 2017 and 2019 editions: What’s Changed in the Reprinted Flames of War Rulebook? https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6530
2) You should print out and bring the PDF pages: https://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/4thEdition/Changes.pdf

PLAYERS MUST ALSO read and bring: Lessons From The Front: 4th Edition
See this page: "4th Edition Useful Downloads" https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5560
HANDBOOKS / FORCES BOOKS: British, German (Heer and SS) and American from D-Day Series (as of 2019-2020) or Fortress Europe (2019). No Soviet forces.

Schedule for Saturday 11 April, 2020
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Activity                        start time      duration    end time
Setup/Registration    10:00 AM      0:50         10:50 AM
Player briefing            10:50 AM      0:10         11:00 AM
1st Round                    11:00 AM      2:45           1:45 PM
Lunch                              1:45 PM      1:00           2:45 PM
2nd Round                      2:45 PM      2:30          5:15 PM
Break                               5:15 PM      0:15          5:30 PM
3rd Round                       5:30 PM      2:15          7:45 PM
Tear-down, pack up       7:45 PM      0:45          8:30 PM
Awards Presentation    8:30 PM      0:15          8:45 PM

For more information, send Email: rcdd1@gmx.com
* For store policies, See: https://ggportland.com/store-policies/
* For Room-specific policies see https://ggportland.com/registrations/ , See tab "Fee/Hours/Capacity"

ROSTER, ALLIES - Avatar / Name / Nation / Force /List submitted / list approved/Tables of terrain:
AL-1. Bpoli7 / BenP / US / Tanks / submitted=no / apprvd=no / terrain=?
AL-2.
AL-3.
AL-4.
AL-5.
AL-6.
AL-7.

ROSTER, AXIS
AX-1. Souldier3 /JakeA / GE / Inf-Beach Defense Company / submitted=no / apprvd=no / terrain=?
AX-2.
AX-3.
AX-4.
AX-5.
AX-6.
AX-7.

COMMUNICATION:

• Force list for round 1 submitted via email to rcdd1@gmx.com NLT midnight, APR 4, 2020
  • Sign-up 1) on this thread or 2) by email.
  • Indicate in your communication how many tables of terrain you are bringing.

More info on awards:
1. Renaissance Commander (combined points of categories 2, 3, 5 and 6, below)
2. Best General (most VP, then most wins)
3. Player's Choice (players ratings of opponent, 3 rounds)(scoring sheet TBD)
4. Master-of-tactics (second most VP)
5. Best Painted Platoon (scoring sheet TBD)
6. Best Table (D-Day / Normandy -themed Terrain) (scoring sheet TBD)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tuffman2 said:

Do you have to be 21 to get into that area in guardian games?

For a while, no. With the recent change of ownership, Guardian Games does not have a liquor license.

However, they have applied for a new license through the OLCC and I expect that room to  be back to 21+ when they get their new license, under the new owner.

The location is tentative Tuffman so dont write off going to the Event just yet.

Geeks and Games in Oregon city might be a good alternative which does not have the 21+ restriction. They are also in the process of expanding their store to include a larger gaming area which I am looking forward to!

On 4/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, Tuffman2 said:

Welp I guess I dont get to do d-day than.

1. Although the "Theme" is D-Day (and Normandy) books and units, I make No guarantee that a tournament format is compatible with HISTORICAL D-Day scenarios, although I am thinking about how to make that happen.

2. When we do some hardcore D-Day scenarios, we will try to get them in under age 21 locations.

I have ONE beach terrain board (1), a platoon of unpainted US airborne, and an entire company of US D-Day themed infantry (not painted, yet):

At a minimum we will do PLAN to do these scenarios in the coming 12 months:

Band of Brothers - Easy Company D-minus One - Ste Mere Eglise or Brécourt Manor Assault

D-Day: The Omaha Beach Landing In 'Saving Private Ryan'

The Battle of the La Fière Causeway: 6-9 June 1944

(1) There is a second great-lookin beach terrain board out there somewhere...

4 hours ago, barca said:

NOTE: The recent change in GG store alcohol policy means that minors can participate in this tournament.

I made the decision that 14+ was the appropriate age restriction for appropriate maturity and behavior in this competetive event.

Good news on the store policy. We need to be able to have people who are younger than 21 be able to participate at all of our events.

Thanks for Organizing Barca!

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, Souldier3 said:

Good news on the store policy. We need to be able to have people who are younger than 21 be able to participate at all of our events.

Thanks for Organizing Barca!

I will check on this again. Seems to be mixed messages on the Critical Sip and upper level rooms and 21+ restriction.

• 2 weeks later...

Dogs-of-War 2020 being rescheduled

It is with great reluctance that I have decided to reschedule our Dogs-of-War 2020 Flames of War tournament, from April 11th to late August, 2020. I am looking at SAT, AUG 22nd or SAT, AUG 29th as the new date for the event.

This new schedule assumes that the restrictions or advisories against large gathering of people due to the COVID-19 virus will no longer be in effect in late August.

Although our event likely would have had a maximum of 15 players, which would put our event far below the threshold set by the CDC (“CDC Recommends Against Gatherings Of 50 Or More”), our hobby is also very tactile, which is one of the primary vectors for the COVID-19 virus.  We also have several members of our gaming groups that are in the CDC ‘at risk’ category.

I apologize for any plans that are disrupted by this decision. I believe it is the prudent thing to do, given our current situation.

Once I have a firm date for the new reservation, I will update our promotional communications in all locations where “Dogs-of-War 2020” announcements have been posted.