Warhammer Fest paint reveal...

dalmer

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't really clear on what is so special about them. So after a single coat, there is significant contrast on the model between high areas and low areas? So they are eliminating the need for a wash. I might try one out to see what its about eventually. But I already use the army painter techniques. I can't imagine they have a paint that can do that shading in one coat.

It's basically color tinted dip.  You can get a similar effect mixing gloss coat and inks.  The big trick is avoiding tide marks.  If they've nailed keeping the flow consistant it's a big win.

Think of it like the Army Painter tone line.  When you apply Strong Tone, it tends to roll off the high spots, and settle in the recesses.  This looks like it has more pigment/dye in the medium, so it tints those high spots more.  As the medium attempts to self level, more will settle it the deepest areas.  It will be interesting to see how well it levels.  I imagine that a zenthal preshaded mini in greyscale would work well with some of the colors.

I'll pick up a few to try them.

• Like 1

I've seen some speculation that the primer for it is semi-gloss or something, to further help get the flow just right. These aren't going to replace my existing tools and techniques, but I do think they'll be useful in many situations, and a handy new tool to have available when suitable. And they look great for people who are rushed, or new to it all, or otherwise getting overwhelmed by their painting load.

59 minutes ago, dalmer said:

Thanks for that link...it was a good write up.

To me, these paints are to get everyone to start a Primaris Army 🙂  Seriously...you look at those pics of Marines with that major coat of contrast...how fast could you bust out an army of Primaris Marines with this...

• Haha 1