Overwatch and shooting twice

the rulebook faq states

For the purposes of this FAQ, 
Overwatch attacks are also considered to be attacks made as if it were your Shooting phase.

Does that mean a tfex or exocrine that remained stationary in its last movement phase can shoot twice in overwatch.

This debate has been going on over at the Tyranid Hive for some time and there is no clear answer. I sent an email to Frontline gaming and haven't gotten a response. How are TOs ruling on this?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The rule book is very clear:

3. Overwatch
Each time a charge is declared against a unit, the target unit
can immediately fire Overwatch at the would-be attacker.
A target unit can potentially fire Overwatch several
times a turn, though it cannot fire if there are any enemy
models within 1" of it. Overwatch is resolved like a normal
shooting attack
(albeit one resolved in the enemy’s Charge
phase) and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is
always required for a successful hit roll
, irrespective of the
firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers

I was taught and we play with double/max shots and shenanigans in overwatch and I have never heard of not doing that but I am new.

For example my Deathwatch have Rapid Fire 2 bolters (4 shots half range), usually supported with a Watchmaster (re-roll all failed hit rolls), use special issue ammo (usually wounds on 2+) and re-roll wound rolls of 1 Tactics. A squad of 10 with 6 Storm Bolters is deadly to charge overwatch! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

the rulebook faq states

For the purposes of this FAQ, 
Overwatch attacks are also considered to be attacks made as if it were your Shooting phase.

Does that mean a tfex or exocrine that remained stationary in its last movement phase can shoot twice in overwatch.

This debate has been going on over at the Tyranid Hive for some time and there is no clear answer. I sent an email to Frontline gaming and haven't gotten a response. How are TOs ruling on this?

I see no reason why not.

Exocrine:

Weapon Beast: If this model does not move in your
Movement phase, it can shoot all of its weapons twice in
your Shooting phase.

TYRANNOFEX:

Weapon Beast: If this model does not move in your
Movement phase, it can shoot all of its weapons twice
in your Shooting phase.

I read a bunch of threads on yes or no. Basically it boils down to the wording in Weapon Beast, "..in your Shooting phase." The wording of the Core Rule says, "albeit one resolved in the enemy’s Charge phase" so it seems that Overwatch isnt in your next shooting phase. Which moves me to something else that fires twice to check the wording.

Space Marine Aggressors:

Fire Storm: Models in this unit can fire twice if they
remained stationary during their turn (including when
firing Overwatch).

It seems that here the rules specifically say, shoot in overwatch.

Astra Tank Grinding Advance:

If this model remains stationary or moves under half speed in its Movement phase (i.e. it moves a distance in inches less than half of its current Move characteristic) it can shoot its turret weapon twice in the following Shooting phase (the turret weapon must target the same unit both times).

Another shoot twice model that says in in the following shooting phase. After reading more into this I am leaning to the NO they cannot shoot twice camp. What other units fire twice when stationary?

46 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

And... any  ability that forced a unit to attack last was just hard countered by 2CP.  All the more reason to build high CP lists.

The ones that force multiple Units to attack last are still good, since they can only counter one instance of it per Fight Phase. And it is still an additional drain on your Opponent's CP, which can be important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 11:19 AM, WestRider said:

The ones that force multiple Units to attack last are still good, since they can only counter one instance of it per Fight Phase. And it is still an additional drain on your Opponent's CP, which can be important.

Yeah that's the way I always understood it to work. It's more hard-countered by just charging. Because then the 2 cancel out.

Otherwise, yeah, resource draining things are good. 

• Like 1