Jump to content

Magnetize immortals?


Dark Trainer

Recommended Posts

So I own a full immortal squad with gauss and one squad with tesla. I want to make a 3rd squad but magnetize them for gauss or tesla, so I can choose over time (like a swing vote). 

https://imgur.com/a/CUnbT

Saw this, but anyone done this? Troops are usually a pain to magnetize, but looking for thoughts.

 

The next thought goes into the 2 boxes of Lychgard/Praetorians I own...do I want to hassle magnetizing them, likely no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That seems like an awfully big hassle. Yeah, you're saving money on a box of models, but how much of that money are you going to turn around and spend on magnets, and how much is your time and frustration worth to you? I can see magnetizing big kits, like vehicles, but for individual foot soldiers, the cost and headache involved probably just isn't worth it. Plus, magnetized stuff never seems to quite hold as well; the magnets are nice, but they get bumped pretty easily, they're usually pretty loose and floppy, and if you drop the model, then the magnetized bit is going to go flying. I just don't think they're a good solution to infantry, at least, not small ones. Maybe something like Destroyers might be worth it, but personally, I wouldn't waste the time on foot sloggers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

That seems like an awfully big hassle. Yeah, you're saving money on a box of models, but how much of that money are you going to turn around and spend on magnets, and how much is your time and frustration worth to you? I can see magnetizing big kits, like vehicles, but for individual foot soldiers, the cost and headache involved probably just isn't worth it. Plus, magnetized stuff never seems to quite hold as well; the magnets are nice, but they get bumped pretty easily, they're usually pretty loose and floppy, and if you drop the model, then the magnetized bit is going to go flying. I just don't think they're a good solution to infantry, at least, not small ones. Maybe something like Destroyers might be worth it, but personally, I wouldn't waste the time on foot sloggers.

It's $66 for 2 boxes (to get a squad), that's more than many vehicles. Needing 20 magnets is probably a couple bucks and time. But agree, magnetizing troops doesn't always seem worth the hassle. I'm considering some of those OLD metal warriors as immortals now. Since that weapon could count as both...

 

I've seen info on warrior legs allowing building the other, i just don't have more warrior bodies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about sawing off the front of the gun and just putting one magnet in? The back wouldn't be right, but non-necron players won't be able to tell and it would save a lot of effort. Looks do-able. Plus, could use a bigger magnet than putting them in the wrists like the link.

Could also redesign the models to have a shoulder mounted weapon. Hands/arms would need reworked/created, but would be a lot easier to magnetise weapon swaps if it were a shoulder mount (like the SM missile Launcher is a shoulder mount for devastators).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

...Needing 20 magnets is probably a couple bucks and time...

I bought magnets to try it and they are $13.75/200. Haven't tried arms but I magnetized all my bases for storage/transport on metal sheets. Arms seemed like a great idea until you see how small the magnets are...

https://www.hobbytown.com/national-imports-magcraft-1-16x1-32-rare-earth-disc-magnets-200-nsn0591/p546362

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

I bought magnets to try it and they are $13.75/200. Haven't tried arms but I magnetized all my bases for storage/transport on metal sheets. Arms seemed like a great idea until you see how small the magnets are...

https://www.hobbytown.com/national-imports-magcraft-1-16x1-32-rare-earth-disc-magnets-200-nsn0591/p546362

I agree, not the easiest, but means I store 10 models vs 20, saves money, just agree small magnets doesn't seem like it'd be solid either.

 

Right now, just tossing ideas. I am not one to enjoy a HORDE of troops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Sake of argument, how long do you suppose until they get a new kit? Would be a shame to fully magnetize them, only to have them produce an updated kit...

I don't care about updated kits, just weapons. Since Tesla and Gauss are likely their thing, it's not a big deal. Also why I wouldn't want to buy 10 more and 'not' magnetize them...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...