Who all has tried the contrast paints?

VonVilkee

I'm still experimenting with them a little at a time.  I really like the black for boots on Guard or Brood Brothers.  Makes short work of them and they look good.  I'm experimenting with others on some of my Genestealer cult, but I don't have enough of a data set to post the results yet.  I *think* they're going to work out really well for some of my current backlog... Watch my Genestealer Cult thread as that will have the first updates with the contrast paints.

• Like 1

I'd paint assembled, though not just because I think gravity needs to pull the paint 'downwards' but because the Contrast paint is incredibly freakin' fragile. A strong breeze will chip the stuff. Assembling after painting will result in a lot of touch-ups. Clearcoating is mandatory, imo... though, I guess if you clearcoated on the sprue too it might work. Contrast paint gets complex quickly. 🤔

• Like 1

The white is kind of a weird animal. It does tend to have a wider disparity between the dark parts and the "highlights." It works reasonably well on things with plenty of texture, but on something like, say, an actual apothecary, it looks quite off. The pants of the Infinity models I posted in my modeling thread are Apothecary White: 

Alguacile pants.jpg

Yeah, Chaos warriors might be a little difficult for it. They've got a fair bit of texture, but also a little too much in the way of big, wide open spaces. It might be different over a different base, though. The above example I shared is applied directly over Vallejo Mecha light grey primer, but if you prime + base coat with one of the Citadel bases, it might come out a little whiter.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't say for certain off the top of my head, but as with anything, it depends on how thick of a coat you lay on. It tends to pool in recesses like a wash or an ink, and if you glob on too much, it can take a while to dry up. I find myself having to work on 2 or 3 models at a time, at least, to let stuff dry between coats/colors, and even then, I still need to pause and wait sometimes. That said, if you've got a steady hand and you're tidy with your brushwork (two things I most decidedly do not have) then you can work around it while it's drying a little bit.

• Like 1

I'm just getting back into painting after a decade, so this stuff is great.  but I don't have the steady hand.  I'm tending to drop a base coat and move on doing multiple models.  I've not got the greatest feel for the dry time, and when I check it's all over the board what people say.  I do a thickish coat for sure, but tend to brush off so it doesn't pool as badly as I've seen some of the youtube videos do.  Guess it's more practice to figure this out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bouke said:

I'm just getting back into painting after a decade, so this stuff is great.  but I don't have the steady hand.  I'm tending to drop a base coat and move on doing multiple models.  I've not got the greatest feel for the dry time, and when I check it's all over the board what people say.  I do a thickish coat for sure, but tend to brush off so it doesn't pool as badly as I've seen some of the youtube videos do.  Guess it's more practice to figure this out.

This is the issue I ran into, smaller wire like application of the blood angel red didn't show definition, had to keep thinning it to see it. Larger spaces seem to shine easily though.