Does DE Tome of Furion allow duplicate spells?

Reading on Druchii.net, it seems that folks over there agree that the wording for Tome of Furion allows for two of the same spell.

Here's the complete Tome rule:

When the bearer of the Tome of Furion generates spells form the Lore of Dark Magic, she can choose one spell - the rest must be generated following the normal rules.

And the spell generation rules:

Regardless of the Lore of Magic your Wizard has chosen to use, you'll notice that the spells are numbered between one and six. To randomly generate the Wizard's spells roll a D6 for each of his Wizard levels and consult the chosen lore to see what spells have been generated.  Ordinarily, each spell can only be known once in the same army. The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly, such as:

• lf a model has no choice over which spell(s) it knows, either because it is fixed by the model'rules, or because if has 'bought' a specific spell as part of army selection.

• If the army book or spell lore clearly states that a model can exchange another spell for the spell in question.

Otherwise, if you roll a spell twice (whether for the same Wizard or for a different Wizard in tharmy) you must normally replace the duplicatspell with another of your choice from the same Lore.  If you cannot, because all the other spellhave already been taken by other Wizards, foexample, then this extra spell slot is lost.

So it seems to me that a Sorceress with Tome of Furion would choose one spell, say Word of Pain, then roll normally for two spells.  If she rolls Word of Pain again, she can know it twice.  If she happens to roll doubles, she can even choose Word of Pain a second time (since only rolling the same spell requires you to replace it).

Just wondering what your guys' take is on this?  Is it well known to play it this way?  Or likely to generate arguments?  Etc?

Thanks!
Nathan

It won't die soon though. Hell, Blood Bowl has been officially unsupported for a long time and it is still going.

But after thinking about it and looking at the rules I would say since it is a magical item that gives you the choice it happens after the spell generation and there for you should be able to choose a spell you generated because there is nothing in the item's saying you have to choose a spell different than the generated ones.

But my word is not the best on these forums.

And where do you plan on being buried? I could use another fully painted army. :wink:

Yes, you could take word of pain twice on the same wizard.  Until this has an FAQ, that is 100% correct.  I don't believe it was meant to be that way though and because of that I have not chosen to bring this up with the Order populace or for game night games.

However, you have opened the can so let's discuss this...

DOUBLE WORD OF PAIN IS UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE!

A sorceress, however, would only roll for one other spell, not two.  You'd have to have a supreme sorceress with this item, in order to roll for 2-3 spells (after chosing one from tome of furion).

I haven't looked at Druchii as the colours of that site make my eyes bleed, but I'm curious what the reasoning is behind being able to choose something you already have. I'm also curious how the rules for the Tome differ from that of having a another mage that already rolled up the spell and thus removed it as a choice.

Haha, totally on the colors thing.

I don't know whether they argue specifically that you can choose the same spell twice, but they argue that RAW the spell chosen via the Tome doesn't change the Spell selection process.  So I agree forget the part about choosing the spell you already chose.  It's really just whether you can roll the spell you chose with the Tome, and then have it twice.

Haha, totally on the colors thing.

I don't know whether they argue specifically that you can choose the same spell twice, but they argue that RAW the spell chosen via the Tome doesn't change the Spell selection process.  So I agree forget the part about choosing the spell you already chose.  It's really just whether you can roll the spell you chose with the Tome, and then have it twice.

Well, I haven't really been pouring over the rules for some time but aren't things still required to be permissive rather then declining? I don't see anything in the Tome that changes the spell generation process as standard but I equally don't see anything that overrules the non duplcation of non signature spells.