Random Thoughts after Fluger Fundraiser

Yarbicus

Had a great time at the Fluger Fundraiser tourney on Saturday.  It was my first games of 8th since it first hit and my first 40k tourney in several years.  My thoughts:

1.        Fluger is still one of the coolest dudes on the planet.

2.       Lord Hanaur knows how to run a tournament.

3.       Why do I keep wanting Space Marines to be better than they are, edition after edition?  Maybe one of these days I will learn.

4.       I suck at a lot (A LOT) of games but my level of suck at 40k is truly epic.

5.       I have never played ITC rules before.  Man, they really punished my MSU army!

6.       Drop Pods suck.

7.       I actually want to play more!  Now that I have a better idea of how the game works, I might do better.  But probably not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks.

Drop Pods aren't great.   But Space Marines can be really good and they place highly a lot.  I think that Space Marines have more tools than anyone.  It's just getting the right toolbag for the meta.  Ultramarines and Dark Angels have both done really well, at differing events.  I also see a lot of deathwatch armies do some scary stuff.

Thanks for being a part of it all.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

• Thanks 2

I would like to add to Yarb's comments and say I was very happy to be there, hang with Fluger, play some great games, and meet some new people.

@Lord Hanaur I did very much enjoy you running the tournament. Having never used BCP before as a player or host, you showed me how simple and effective it could be. Thanks for organizing it all and making it all so casual and easy.

I want to give a shout out to my opponents, Nathan and Saul. Nathan gave a great game with his Orks and I was super happy to have such a great opponent round 1. Round two against @PumpkinHead's Nids was classic 40K. Thank you both for indulging me in activating my Fluger Command Points and using the "Bidding War" stratagem to make the games just that much more fun.

@fluger Wish you the best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

I would like to add to Yarb's comments and say I was very happy to be there, hang with Fluger, play some great games, and meet some new people.

@Lord Hanaur I did very much enjoy you running the tournament. Having never used BCP before as a player or host, you showed me how simple and effective it could be. Thanks for organizing it all and making it all so casual and easy.

I want to give a shout out to my opponents, Nathan and Saul. Nathan gave a great game with his Orks and I was super happy to have such a great opponent round 1. Round two against @PumpkinHead's Nids was classic 40K. Thank you both for indulging me in activating my Fluger Command Points and using the "Bidding War" stratagem to make the games just that much more fun.

@fluger Wish you the best!

Saul's shirt was awesome.  I got a chance to compliment his wife for getting it for him.  

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, Yarbicus said:

7.       I actually want to play more!  Now that I have a better idea of how the game works, I might do better.  But probably not.

Well, if you are free in the middle of August then I have a suggestion on where you can get some more games in. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Frowbakk said:

Should I bring sodas for people to bid on to OFCC as well, do you think?

It may conflict with the absolute exemplary service the hotel extends us...

If you create a "soda when you want it" precedent, how is the hotel supposed to compete with their "you'll get your drink eventually, if at all" policy? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Munkie said:

It may conflict with the absolute exemplary service the hotel extends us...

If you create a "soda when you want it" precedent, how is the hotel supposed to compete with their "you'll get your drink eventually, if at all" policy? 

Oh, so I can't sell soda out of my cooler with free shots of rum? 😞

I can set the scene...

I was chatting with @fluger at his fundraiser, asked him if people suggested B.S. remedies (like Dandelion Tea) to him as a magic cure-all, or just how many books, movies, or podcast recommendations he got to fill his no-doubt copious free time between treatments.

Fluger replied noting all the good things which our community has done for him, the warmth and the support which might have brought a little manly moisture to his eyes from feeling all the love.

So I asked Fluger, "How would you like to feel some hate for a change of pace?"

Caught a little off guard, Fluger inquired to what I had in mind.

Then I pulled these beauties out of my gaming bag...

image.png.7ae88b79effb28fdbb058075795336b8.pngimage.thumb.png.07f339f1ef26efce66d447403bd4d923.png

The fundraiser was to have whoever bid the highest get to choose who must drink one bottle, while the unlucky designee got to choose the other individual to drink the other bottle.

Because while we are all altruistic, noble individuals of good heart who want to do well for our fellow gamer, we also (being gamers) delight in screwing any  opponents over.

Fluger thought it was a hilarious idea and when I made the announcement we had two designated drinkers and another $135 in cash soon after.

@Lord Hanaur, cue the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Frowbakk said:

I can set the scene...

I was chatting with @fluger at his fundraiser, asked him if people suggested B.S. remedies (like Dandelion Tea) to him as a magic cure-all, or just how many books, movies, or podcast recommendations he got to fill his no-doubt copious free time between treatments.

Fluger replied noting all the good things which our community has done for him, the warmth and the support which might have brought a little manly moisture to his eyes from feeling all the love.

So I asked Fluger, "How would you like to feel some hate for a change of pace?"

Caught a little off guard, Fluger inquired to what I had in mind.

Then I pulled these beauties out of my gaming bag...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.7ae88b79effb28fdbb058075795336b8.pngimage.thumb.png.07f339f1ef26efce66d447403bd4d923.png

The fundraiser was to have whoever bid the highest get to choose who must drink one bottle, while the unlucky designee got to choose the other individual to drink the other bottle.

Because while we are all altruistic, noble individuals of good heart who want to do well for our fellow gamer, we also (being gamers) delight in screwing any  opponents over.

Fluger thought it was a hilarious idea and when I made the announcement we had two designated drinkers and another $135 in cash soon after.

@Lord Hanaur, cue the video.

• Haha 2