An Tir

InfestedKerrigan

14 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Anyone here from An Tir?

I live there (as do most of us)

An Tir’s borders include the US States of Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho, most of the Canadian Province of British Columbia, as well as the Yukon and Northwest Territories. In June of 2015 (anno societatis 50), An Tir’s Principality Avacal became the SCA’s twentieth Kingdom – taking the Canadian lands of Eastern British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.

image.thumb.png.5e013207071902156cfaa1dd2ea874b5.png

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Use your deductive reasoning skills to infer that I am well aware of the region that An Tir covers.  Use your deductive reasoning skills to infer that I was asking who was actively involved with SCA.  I don't follow baseball, so I don't give two sheits about what conference I live in. 

Wouldn't know the baseball one.

You sure are hostile towards someone who's trying to answer your written  questions to the best of their ability.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend's exgf got her into it earlier this year.  I used to boffer when I was 19ish, and loved Ren Fairs as a kid.  So, when she asked me to start getting involved locally, I decided I would.  The timing with my leg surgery sucks a bit much, but with any luck, the surgery should improve my on field performance... When I get the knack of it.  Since I'm down and out, I've spent some time watching armor/sword making, combat videos, reading the Marshal's Handbook, etc.  We've discussed our camp being a transcontinental caravan.  This would greatly enable our ability to source armor, clothing, etc from multiple cultures, an Imperialist Soup, you might say.

I knew a guy in college who got a whole bunch of titanium wire and used it to create chainmail.  He made the loops and "wove" the chainmail himself.  I think he got the wire through a lab so he didn't even have to pay for the wire himself.  Had a lot of respect for that guy.  He fought Florentine and generally fought 3-4 guys at ren-fests (he'd go in with a bunch of scrubs in a 4v4 and be the only one to survive).

Personally I never got into actual SCA as I found (back in 1990) a lot of their rules to be anachronistic and idiosyncratic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I dunno that there is anything to do to improve it concerning the problems I had with it...

Everyone must be historically accurate but 8 of you being the current reincarnation of Cleopatra is fine.

Your references all have to be historically accurate but pronunciation doesn't count so feel free to butcher the high German with a Creole accent.  Science must be accurate and timely but alchemy fine.  Oh, and we're not going to limit time period so feel free to go with anything from 500 AD to 1600 AD.  (Combat was more and less limited in similarly incongruous ways.)

As long as you were down with the *Creative* in SCA it worked but if you wanted people to do *accurate* research, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Duckman said:

I dunno that there is anything to do to improve it concerning the problems I had with it...

Everyone must be historically accurate but 8 of you being the current reincarnation of Cleopatra is fine.

Your references all have to be historically accurate but pronunciation doesn't count so feel free to butcher the high German with a Creole accent.  Science must be accurate and timely but alchemy fine.  Oh, and we're not going to limit time period so feel free to go with anything from 500 AD to 1600 AD.  (Combat was more and less limited in similarly incongruous ways.)

As long as you were down with the *Creative* in SCA it worked but if you wanted people to do *accurate* research, good luck.

Ah. Socially Crusty Assholes is more along the line of issues I had. I think society has changed a good bit, and I'm more aware of group dynamics than I was then.  Local dynamics, I have a dozen or so friends involved currently or in the past with the local sca, so I've gotten the low down on the uh political realm of the Shire. 

As for activities, era, etc, I view it entirely as Low Fantasy Action LARPing. That's part of the reason I'm encouraging her on this traveling caravan route for diversity, and not being tied down regionally/era. 

When AR Goggles are reasonable, I'm super down for High Fanta-C-A 

• Like 1