New Sisters Models - Sisters Bulletin

pretre

Posted 08/07/2019

Battle Sister Bulletin – Part 11: New Models Sighted!

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-Share10hhxs.jpg

With more than ten Battle Sister Bulletins under our belt, we’re starting to ramp things up as the awesome plastic Adepta Sororitas miniatures range continues to take shape. So much so, in fact, that today we’re able to show you not just one, but a whole bunch of new Battle Sisters…

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-Sister2oc.jpg

As you can see, the sculpted suits of power armour that each Battle Sister wears is complemented with a flowing habit and is adorned with purity seals and the symbols of their Order. Considering that Battle Sisters are the line troopers of the Adepta Sororitas army, they very much set the standard of what will follow. Given how stunning each of these miniatures is, it’s fair to say we’re pretty excited to see what the rest of the range will look like!

Speaking of which, here are another couple of Battle Sisters, this time armed with a storm bolter and flamer respectively…

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-StormBolter4swv.jp

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-Flamer5ojs.jpg

Burnt heretic, anyone? What better way is there to decorate the base of a flamer-toting Battle Sister than with the smouldering corpse of an apostate who was no doubt in league with Dark Gods? As you can see most clearly on the Battle Sister equipped with flamer, the habit is lined with studs that can be opened before battle to ensure freedom of movement.

Now it’s time to check out the unit’s Sister Superior and the bearer of the squad’s Simulacrum Imperialis…

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-SisterSuperior6kvk

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-Simulacrum7jhvr.jp

The Sister Superior is striking a suitably Warhammer pose, with one foot raised on some stones and her chainsword held aloft. Meanwhile, a closer inspection of the Simulacrum Imperialis reveals that the large reliquary is mounted on a wooden haft, complete with grain fibres and nicks from previous battles. Another point of note is that this particular Battle Sister is wearing a helmet – you’ll be pleased to know that each model in the kit can be assembled with or without a full helm.

As if all of these reveals weren’t already enough, we’ve also got a fully painted miniature from the squad to show you! Remember the first miniature we showed you above? Well, here she is her finished form (this time with a helmet on)…

SoBBulletinSquad-Jul8-Painted8qqkx.jpg

Cool, huh? We were so impressed with the result that we spoke to ’Eavy Metal’s Max Faleij about how the team made a start on painting the burgeoning Adepta Sororitas range.

Max: The colour scheme for the Order of Our Martyred Lady is iconic and striking. I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably one of the first images that come to mind when someone says “Sisters of Battle”. Whenever we revisit classic colour schemes like this, we always want to be really respectful of the original concept and appearance of the models. At the same time, we don’t want to miss any opportunities to refine the colour scheme and bring it up to speed with the current range of miniatures. It just needs to be done in a way where it doesn’t lose the essence of the original.

The way the new miniatures in the range are being designed also gives even greater insight into what the armour and equipment of the Adepta Sororitas looks like. We tried to describe the different materials using subtle variations in colour – pushing apart the cold black power armour and the warm black leather gloves for example.

We also gave the boltgun casings a more aged look by mixing Stormhost Silver, Warplock Bronze and some Abaddon Black together to create a metal that’s subtly different from the inner workings of the bolter itself.

The two-tone red of the habit is something that we really liked in the last rendition of the colour scheme and wanted to keep – not only is it an iconic part of the overall appearance but the two tones also help you read which parts of the model are part of the inner or outer robes.

Thanks, Max!

Now that you’ve seen them, we’d love to hear what you think – join the conversation over on Facebook, and if you haven’t already, pick up Celestine, the Living Saint and her Geminae Superia, available in plastic right now

Share this:

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah they don't look much different at all.the weapons they are carrying look a little cooler...a little.  I like the INquisition logo on there.  I like the Flamer front.  

But not a big departure.  I'm also not seeing necessarily how much more customizable their poses will be?  The heads might be a big bonus if they give you more of the helmet heads or something.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Yeah they don't look much different at all.the weapons they are carrying look a little cooler...a little.  I like the INquisition logo on there.  I like the Flamer front.  

But not a big departure.  I'm also not seeing necessarily how much more customizable their poses will be?  The heads might be a big bonus if they give you more of the helmet heads or something.

There's enough heads for helmeted or bare for the entire squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I'm also not seeing necessarily how much more customizable their poses will be?

I suspect they'll be kind of similar in that regard to the Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers. Each set of body/legs/tabard will probably be fixed, but then most or all of the heads and arms will work with most of the bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leading From the Front

SoBBulletinSquad-Aug05-Share5grh.jpg

Having already looked at the new Sisters of Battle squad and the redemption-seeking Repentia, this week’s Battle Sister Bulletin is all about the battlefield commander of the Adepta Sororitas – the Canoness.

Canonesses are the martial and spiritual commanders of the Orders Militant of the Adepta Sororitas. Each is a shining example of purity and dedication of purpose, a veteran warrior of hundreds of battles and a slayer of the faithless in numerous war zones. To be a Canoness requires a combination of strong leadership, shrewd tactical acumen and unmatched faith in the Emperor.

SoBBulletinSquad-Aug5-Full4hyg.jpg

The new model perfectly encapsulates this – her position is clear from her more elaborate vestments, which share a number of features with the Battle Sisters but are even more intricate. Even the silhouette of her collar is reminiscent of a fleur-de-lys. She also carries a rod of office, both a symbol of her status and of her faith, which she uses to inspire her troops to even greater feats.

SoBBulletinSquad-Aug5-Content4frhh.jpg

The Canoness is a far more experienced warrior than the Sisters that she commands – the Adepta Sororitas is a lifelong commitment and their vows to the God-Emperor end only in death. Battle Sisters each carry a rosary where every bead represents a virtuous deed done in the name of the God-Emperor. The Canoness carries many such beads, reflecting her decades of slaying heretics and hunting witches. The Chaplet Ecclesiasticus at the end of her rosary is also incredibly ornate.

SoBBulletinSquad-Aug5-Content5gvt.jpg

Of course, fighting the enemies of the Imperium leaves a mark, and in her case, it’s a bionic leg. As befits someone in such an important role, this isn’t the sort of crude, functional bionic that so many in the Imperium must make do with – this is a far more refined and ergonomic augmetic.

SoBBulletinSquad-Aug5-Content4vtd.jpg

The Canoness will be available alongside her fellow plastic Sisters of Battle, but in the meantime, you can pick up Canoness Veridyan, based on the classic John Blanche artwork. Also, make sure that you sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with all of the latest news and join us again in two weeks for the next Battle Sister Bulletin.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pics of the New Sisters of Battle are Coming In! Sprues and Much More

Sisters5.PNG

There are lots of pics coming in for the new Sisters of Battle (Adeptas Sororitas). These are taken off of Facebook and Twitter, the biggest collection coming from gfromthewarp.

Images from Twitter and Facebook
Got to see some of the new sisters of battle miniatures in the flesh/plastic here at the winners day.

1033106-Sisters%2BOf%2BBattle%252C%2BSpure.jpg

1033108_sm-Sisters%2BOf%2BBattle%252C%2BStorm%2BBolter.jpg

Sisters1.PNG

Sisters2.PNG

Sisters3.PNG

Sisters4.PNG

Sisters5.PNG

Sisters6.PNG

Sisters7.PNG

Sisters8.PNG

Sisters9.PNG

Sisters99.PNG
  • Like 1

I’m so happy these new sculpts are mostly just reposes and slight tweaks of the classic Jes Goodwin originals. Citadel knocked it out of the park with the Sisters of Battle back in the day, all we needed was for them to take advantage of plastics ability to get more dynamic poses... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I’m so happy these new sculpts are mostly just reposes and slight tweaks of the classic Jes Goodwin originals. Citadel knocked it out of the park with the Sisters of Battle back in the day, all we needed was for them to take advantage of plastics ability to get more dynamic poses... 

Truth. I don't think there are any Jes Goodwin designs that need any fundamental changes. Just updates to take advantage of better sculpting/casting technology.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

That seems to be the general consensus I've heard from most people, and I agree, that the old designs just needed to be updated to plastic (and maybe a slight tweak in scale, the older models were a bit smol.) These are a lovely homage to some badass sculpts that were well ahead of their time.

Only because when Goodwin sculpted them, the game was still a 28 mm scale hobby... It's clearly been a 32 mm scale scale game for a while now. 

• Like 2

That's a good point, like most minis games, the tendency seems to be scale creeping a little bit bigger every year. It's happening with Infinity, too; if you look at the old sculpts, they look preposterously undersized compared to the current (and much better) ones. 40k does seem to have grown quite a bit in scale since I first started in 3rd (though the ork boyz I bought back then are the same ones they sell now...) and I guess I just never noticed it because it was always kind of gradual. When they decided to move Marines to 32 mm bases, though, it became much more obvious. 

I first got started in wargaming with Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 1990*, towards the tail-end of it's Third Edition, the game was actually still a 25 mm scale (1:64 scale) game at the time... 

I'd asked Santa for Dungeons & Dragons books, apparently St. Nick mistook Warhammer for a new D&D supplement.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ish said:

I first got started in wargaming with Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 1990*, towards the tail-end of it's Third Edition, the game was actually still a 25 mm scale (1:64 scale) game at the time... 

I'd asked Santa for Dungeons & Dragons books, apparently St. Nick mistook Warhammer for a new D&D supplement.

same timeframe for me but I think the scale has been debatable throughout the time I have played (15 years)

Yeah, GW has never been especially concerned about scale fidelity. But it’s undeniable that the standard has crept up over the last thirty-odd years.

Here’s a late 1990’s Warrior of Chaos compared to a 2018 Khorne Warrior. Even accounting for the fact that AoS models don’t need to be posed in ways that let them form ranks, even accounting for modern technology allowing more details, even accounting for the crouched pose of the old guy, et cetera... The old guy’s entire leg is the length of the new guy’s shin!

It wouldn’t bother me much, truthfully, except for GW’s Potemkin Village policy of pretending no scale creep happens and it’s always been a [insert current scale] game.

pic3733308.jpg

4 hours ago, Ish said:

Yeah, GW has never been especially concerned about scale fidelity. But it’s undeniable that the standard has crept up over the last thirty-odd years.

Here’s a late 1990’s Warrior of Chaos compared to a 2018 Khorne Warrior. Even accounting for the fact that AoS models don’t need to be posed in ways that let them form ranks, even accounting for modern technology allowing more details, even accounting for the crouched pose of the old guy, et cetera... The old guy’s entire leg is the length of the new guy’s shin!

It wouldn’t bother me much, truthfully, except for GW’s Potemkin Village policy of pretending no scale creep happens and it’s always been a [insert current scale] game.

pic3733308.jpg

To be fair, the Slaughterpriest Model on the right is a character who (even in the fluff) towers over even modern Chaos Warriors. When you account for the posture issues, the current ones aren't that much bigger than the 90s ones. Also note that the feet of the older Warrior aren't level with the Slaughterpriest's base, so he's losing a couple of mm there, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I’ve long since lost, sold, or traded any of my Rogue Trader era models, but I found this interesting comparison photo... and no, that’s not a Primaris Marines, it’s just a standard tactical squad trooper.
721428_sm-Blood%20Angels,%20Space%20Mari

Yeah, that's the biggest oddity with the primaris marines. They're really only a step bigger than the newer plastic marines, and those are a similar step bigger than the metal ones. All that talk about making them closer to "true scale" is bunk, as they'd likely have become that much larger in next batch anyway. Meh.