guard question

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Most folks seen fine with super heavys that do not have range d weapons.

If you are asking from event perspective it seems mixed yes or no.

You can run full foot army fairly well, which might be 150 boots to 200. Or an elite group supported by aemor.

So how many boots on the ground do you need for a guard army?

Also, is the baneblade legal in normal lists?

Tough question.

I personally am playing with a lot.  But i dont see that as necessary.  It's just a choice I made because im not "into" tanks that much (though lets face it..there are some tanks to love here in Astra Militarum land).

So for my list, I have 90 for Troop choices with boots plus the command squad and some characters.  but i am not entirely of the opinion that you have to do that.

Ha, point taken;)

The point I was trying to make is 3 vet squads in Chimeras felt light on scoring. Even with 8 Russes backing them up. Really depends on how you want to build your list though. A couple tooled up blobs, cheap conscripts meat-shielding for them and some mech support could be pretty scary.

In 1500pts, I could see getting by with three squads of veterans- it'd definitely be on the light side, but with the points you're saving, you could cram a LOT of firepower into the list. I mean, that's what, two Vendettas, six Quad Guns, and four Leman Russes?  That's a lot to be facing down in 1500.

Anything beyond that, though, and you're really pushing your luck- once those Vets are on the board, most armies out there should have little trouble sweeping them off the table, and then you're playing for the win on secondaries- and IG is not good at claiming Linebreaker. I pretty much always bring at least one Infantry Platoon in a Guard list- it's just too flexible and useful not to.

I like to try and field at least 4 scoring units of troops this usually consist of at least a min platton with one vet squad as the second troop choice.But then again..I usually loose too,lol.

Anyhow for a more competitive approach I would think at least 5 scoring units of troops would be needed with perhaps one being a larger than 10 man squad...having a few squads for speed bump duty is always nice too :wink:

I like to use my Baneblade model as well and yes for the rules,you will need the Escalation book or the Apoc one.My current list uses the Stormlord for its massive transport capability that and the SM vacuum main gun :laugh:

Good point.  The Command squad might be an exception but even then my reservartions are high.  I remember fighting Flugers units of 3 tanks, and though he got a little lucky as dice rolls went, I did EVENTUALLY end up EMP'ing them to death in many cases, or catching them from behind with Kroot Guns.  It's just a lot to lose all in one go potentially.

The vulnerability, especially in Assaults, is definitely another worthwhile consideration. I was able to take out a whole Squadron of 3 Russes in a single Turn with one Daemon Prince and a bit of luck last weekend. If they'd been spread out more, slot-wise, that would have been much harder to deal with.