Tau, another list for OFCC consideration and input

1 hour ago, BigFred said:

I'm the Tau guy in question.  I'm new to the group, and new to Warhammer (about a year?). 

I am considering dropping the RipTide and buying some more pathfinders and maybe another start collecting box.  I do love the markerlights...

Any thoughts?  Would that make it more OFCC friendly?

Lean on your Captain and build towards a list that is flexible or gives good matches against something that the rest of your team doesn't. Having four lists to match for the closest matches is the goal of a Captain, you as the player can help support that by being as versatile a list as possible.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, BigFred said:

Right.  Drop the Riptide, and keep the one Stormsurge.

Use the Riptide points to add some Pathfinders (if I buy more) and troops (if I buy another starter box).

Don't have a huge collection, so my options are kinda limited.

I disagree that you need to drop this riptide. It would be on par with enough lists (knights for example). The main thing from before was 54 T7 wounds, by dropping the 1 stormsurge it balances out. You end up being our higher tier list, but that's the make of our team. We have your list, my list, nid list, and chaos list in that order of power.

As pax said, it's really about about fun games. Against the right list, you'd do fine. It really comes down to units being too durable, or too killy for their point values. Tau can abuse shield drones to keep lords of war alive well past their 20 wounds, or riptides, etc. Not saying to drop those, but considering balance is what Pax was shooting at. We'll be getting some practice games in and it'll help you see the effectiveness of it.

• Like 1

Tau are in an interesting place in 8th. It's easy to build a top tier competitive list, and it's easy to build a doormat list that your opponent will rofl stomp. It's less easy to build something in the 50% - 75% competitive range that seems to be the OFCC list ideal. However, there are ways for you as the player to greatly impact the stompiness of some of the units.

Most of Tau's hyper-power comes from synergy. 5 pulse rifle warriors unbuffed at 18" range is 5 s5 ap0 shots, hitting on 4s, woundong on 3s, no biggie for almost any opponent. Those same 5 FW fully buffed with drone and HQ support makes them 15 s5 ap0 shots, hitting on 3s re-rolling 1s, wounding on 2s. That becomes problematic for most opponents.

Take the riptide, it's our best unit, but maybe only nova charge every other turn, or maybe dont use C&C node stratagem with it.

Your good attitude will be your best weapon at OFCC, and your ability to strategically hinder your own army's capabilities may be your second best weapon if your opponents army warrants it. 

Build the list strong, make it weaker through intentional poor synergistic play, adjust to good synergistic play if opponents army and play warrants a power increase is how I would approach it.

Good luck and have fun most of all!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

Your good attitude will be your best weapon at OFCC, and your ability to strategically hinder your own army's capabilities may be your second best weapon if your opponents army warrants it. 

^^^ THIS! 😎 

Sportsmanship points are earned really by how much of a FUN time your opponent had, plus we all covet the prized favorite opponent pin (at least I do). Chatting and having a good time can be just as effective as playing the game (just make sure it doesn't slow you at turn 2 because too much distraction).

I also find myself letting off the 'gas' sometimes if a game starts sliding too far in my favor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

Tau can abuse shield drones to keep lords of war alive well past their 20 wounds

Just a point of clarity: the shield drones do nothing for the stormsurge (tau Lord of war) because it lacks the keywords needed to trigger their protection.

That FW tau Lord of war, on the other hand, does have the keywords needed.

11 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Didn't know that?

@BigFred 

Stormsurge, despite appearances, lacks the Battlesuit keyword. So, for example, the Drone sacrifice ability doesn't affect them because that only triggers on battlesuits and infantry.

Another example is how the repair drones don't work on the Stormsurge, as already pointed out:

On 7/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, Kelharis said:

Also, he should be aware that Stormsurges don't have the <Battlesuit> keyword, so can't be affected by the DX-4 Technical drones (though he may already know).

As a lord of war, the stormsurge is in name only. The Riptide boasts a 2+/3++, while the stormsurge has a 3+/4++. Riptide is a Battlesuit, Stormsurge is not.

Riptide is considerably more durable than a stormsurge.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

It works.  Vehicle keyword.

Did they FAQ this to be VEHICLE? The book I have reads BATTLESUIT for Repair Protocol. If so, makes the SS substantially better.

I had in my head that you were speaking of Repair Protocols, apologies for not reading well, lol. Anyway, same deal I think saviour Protocols is INFANTRY and BATTLESUIT only. Otherwise you could use shield drones for Longstrike, no?

2 hours ago, Kelharis said:

Did they FAQ this to be VEHICLE? The book I have reads BATTLESUIT for Repair Protocol. If so, makes the SS substantially better.

I had in my head that you were speaking of Repair Protocols, apologies for not reading well, lol. Anyway, same deal I think saviour Protocols is INFANTRY and BATTLESUIT only. Otherwise you could use shield drones for Longstrike, no?

Pretty sure there are two, one for vehicles and one for battlesuits.

Could be wrong. Don't have the book in front of me.

5 hours ago, Kelharis said:

Automated Repair Systems has ALWAYS worked on vehicles.  It can actually be used at the beginning of both your turn and the opponents by FAQ.

A Stormsurge is one.  So...

Point Defense Targetting Relay works on him also.

• 4 weeks later...