New Chaos Marine project

On 7/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, Brother Glacius said:

Check out my blog for a sneak peak.

I like what I'm seeing there. Although I think you might need to hold the can a bit closer to the models in order to avoid the speckled texture. 

Otherwise, they are looking great. I really like the color choice for the bolter casing. It really pops and it is not a color you see in CSM armies often.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Wrapped up another guy. I couldn't remember which paint color I used for the ground and apparently the one I chose this time around was more red. Still like it though..looks very alien or chaos-y 🙂

20190818_145021.jpg

I like it.

I'd add a gloss layer, but that's more my personal taste, as pretty much all my finished models end up with a gloss coat. Maybe it's a bad eyesight thing....

12 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'll be using a flat mat to protect the models. I don't like gloss coats.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be a common opinion, my like of gloss coats. Either way, your model looks very good.

9 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

So can I summon any daemon unit? If I roll high enough, I could get a blood thirster or other really powerful daemon correct?

You understand 8e reinforcement points, right?

18 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Yes, afaik everything including FW has a summon cost listed. Just a matter of maxing those rolls. 

The FW lord of war daemons have their own summoning rules. It's actually easier to summon them, but they're more likely to kill your character(s).

<get's IA index forces of Chaos out>

I'd quote directly, but it's a huge wall of text.

For starters, the ability has a different name, it's called: Arch-Daemonic Ritual. It specifically alters the existing daemonic ritual from codex CSM. It differs as follows:

1: Must declare intended summoned before rolling dice. Must have same mark (as written, markless units can't summon them at all).

2: Player rolls up to 9 dice. If combined total of all dice is equal to power level of intended unit, it summons.

3: Doubles inflict a mortal wound on the character summoning. Triples slay them outright. Slain summoners can still be successful.

4: Summoned model is placed within 12" of the summoner and more than 9" from enemy models (not sure if this differs, but it's mentioned specifically as a difference...).

As written, you should be able to just keep trying to summon them until you have no characters, or you succeed. Slaanesh lord of war is PL 23, Nurgle's is 30, the other two are 35.

You can just have them as a detachment and deploy them on the table, as normal units, but the above is how their summoning rule is modified over the normal daemonic ritual.

NOTE: didn't consult the FAQ. Just reading the printed book.

5 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I don't play match points. I play power level.

Then daemon summoning is going to be very powerful for you.

Not sure if updated in the new CSM codex, but in the other one, the other big limitation to daemonic summoning is that your CHAOS CHARACTER can't move in the movement phase. "Setting units up" like via deep strike-like abilities does count as moving.

Lastly, each summoned unit is NOT considered a member of any of your detachments. This means that summoned units can't be your warlord, can't benefit from detachment abilities, don't provide command points, don't fill slots in a detachment, and so forth. So, for example, summoned daemon troops don't have their objective secured equivalent because that's a rule tied to their detachment. Just something to keep in mind.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:51 AM, Brother Glacius said:

So can I summon any daemon unit? If I roll high enough, I could get a blood thirster or other really powerful daemon correct?

You can summon any unit with the "Daemonic Ritual" ability, or any unit with the "Arch-daemonic Ritual" ability. If the daemon unit lacks one of these, they can't be summoned. If your summoner is marked, they can only summon daemons of that mark.

And of special note, it's not just CSM characters, it's any CHAOS CHARACTER. So your Chaos Knights with the CHARACTER keyword can be your summoners. Summoned characters can further summon, just not on the turn they arrive because they count as moving when they "set up" via being summoned.

If house ruling for "fairness" you could prolly come up with some "reserve" power level for summoning. Just remember that the power level of some units takes into account summoning and you are sacrificing allot from any character in order to summon.

Maybe no more more than an additional 10% increase in power level of the army for summons? But you could purposely take less to allow for more summoned power level. 

2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I have no desire to abuse it, just understand it all so that I can come up with house rules to make sure its still fun to use and play against.

Depends on your summoner to whether or not it is fair.

Most of the time, CSM characters will be moving every turn, or otherwise be too close to the enemy to successfully summon anything.

And it's really not much better than psychic powers, but getting a free unit just seems more impressive.

4 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I have no desire to abuse it, just understand it all so that I can come up with house rules to make sure its still fun to use and play against.

Try it a few times before you try to modify it. It can be unbalanced, but it might not be. Depends on how you use it and the opponent's army.

For matched play, I kept running into issues regarding the loss of the movement phase for characters. Almost everything chaos wants to move closer to the opponent. Embarked characters can't summon, ones that deepstrike can't, and so on and so forth. Plus you can really damage a character with summoning, so risky on your warlord.

The one cool thing you can do with summoning, is use it to exceed the duplicate datasheet limit. In list creation for matched play, a 2k army can have no more than 3 of the same unit (aside from troops and dedicated transports), but since summoning is not part of list creation, you can summon beyond this limit. So I can field 5 identical bloodthirsters if I summon 2 of them during the game. Never did figure out how to make it viable, but I was more going for fun anyway and it is kinda fun.

The other big limitation with summoning is that you have to actually have the models to summon them.

18 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

The one cool thing you can do with summoning, is use it to exceed the duplicate datasheet limit. In list creation for matched play, a 2k army can have no more than 3 of the same unit (aside from troops and dedicated transports), but since summoning is not part of list creation, you can summon beyond this limit. So I can field 5 identical bloodthirsters if I summon 2 of them during the game. Never did figure out how to make it viable, but I was more going for fun anyway and it is kinda fun.

The other big limitation with summoning is that you have to actually have the models to summon them.

I've been thinking about doing this to get around the fact that I have more Flesh Hounds than can fit in a 2K Matched Play list. And I prefer running them MSU, too, so that's way beyond the Rule of 3. Karanak's nice and cheap and fast, tho, so I can use him, have him Advance on Turn 1, and then just sit behind a screen Summoning more Hounds for a while. Maybe use a Herald on Juggernaut as well, just to give me a second Summoning point.