Chaos Space Marines - Corpus Brethren

I'm reposting from the 40K forum as it is probably more appropriate to discuss here as the content has switched to painting questions:

The original hope was to do these guys relatively quickly. The original gameplan of using white contrast over the green primer did not pan out. It looks like if I do a white primer, then white contrast, I can get the definition I want as a base. Then I go and do the trim in gold/bronze/silver (as the mood takes me) and then I was thinking of painting quickshade over the metallic trim. This would bleed over into the white and hopefully create that dirty/brownish pooling in the recesses.

What my next step is, how do I go from light green primed models, to white primed models? Options:

a) spray white primer over green
b) airbrush white over green
c) paint/drybrush white over green - this actually appeals quite a bit as I imagine that green bleeding through in the recesses, but it also is the most work of all options
d) strip models of green, then prime with white

In terms of contrast paints, I have the turquoise, white, grey, and shyish purple. So I'm thinking I might do a single shoulder pad in the turquoise, and use the purple on any cloth/leather.  Weapons will be gunmetal with shading. Tubings will be done with the grey to stand out from the white.

Further thoughts on the options:

a) easy and fastest to do, but I may lose some detail if I do the primer too heavy.

b) this could be really interesting if I try to do some sort of pattern with the brush strokes...I could do diagonal-ish lines, so that there are areas of bright white to greenish white across the model. think of light reflecting off water..

c) The contrast between green and white would be pretty stark and again could lose some detail trying to get the white bright enough

d) could be problematic for the larger models...lots of work as there is first the dipping in solution, then scrubbing, then priming again...ugh

Picture for reference:

q6xmf5uy5tu21.png

So did a test of white primer over the green undercoat. I love it! Automatic texture and depth. I'm almost wanting to leave as is and just detail from here. I probably will give the contrast a test over this, but wow, just impressed with the look of the models. I know many people use that technique for color highlighting, but this is the first time I've tried this. What a difference. I'm now wondering if I'll need to do this with more of my armies.

20190723_130058.jpg

• Like 1

Zenithal white over the green is aces, I think you found a winner there. I've been playing with the contrasts and they really need to go on a satin finish to do their job.

Quick method I'd go with in your position:

Zenithal white the green primed guys.

Block in guns/trim/accessories in light colors.

Satin seal

Contrast paint the rest.

Note, if you want to keep more of the original colors you can gloss seal instead of satin. Satin will tint the whole thing and dark in recesses. Gloss is mostly just recesses. For this scheme, gloss may be the better choice.

Ack, I still couldn't leave him alone. I went back with some watered down white and tried to blend it in in order to lighten up some of the armor pieces that had gotten too dark. Also, gotta figure out what to do with the feet..they look really plain compared to the rest of the model. Maybe after basing it won't look so bad.

Whatever recipe you used on that guy, keep it.

Looks great!

Try to batch paint up a bunch of those before you decide if you'll go back and touch up the white. That may be the proverbial straw that takes this from fast + easy with awesome results to a slog that never gets finished. Looks good imho without the touch up.

• Like 1

You aren't wrong. I think what I may do for the white is follow this process:

Apply contrast white to armor areas, then light drybrush of white over armor.

I'll try it out on the next one. For the trim, I did Greedy Gold, then highlighted with Shining Silver, then hit with Nuln Oil. The trick is keeping the nuln off of the white (which is what made me go back and touch up white on the first model).

I'm using straight Shyish purple on cloth, basilican grey on gun parts before hitting with silver. I wish I had the black contrast. Turquoise for the gun casing. So not too many colors. The gold trim was the big time sink. So much of it across the model.

I'm actually more worried about the Greater Possessed though. I need to figure out what color to paint the mutations. Probably go with the purple as this is a slaanesh force.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 11:20 AM, PourSpelur said:

Zenithal white over the green is aces, I think you found a winner there. I've been playing with the contrasts and they really need to go on a satin finish to do their job.

Quick method I'd go with in your position:

Zenithal white the green primed guys.

Block in guns/trim/accessories in light colors.

Satin seal

Contrast paint the rest.

Note, if you want to keep more of the original colors you can gloss seal instead of satin. Satin will tint the whole thing and dark in recesses. Gloss is mostly just recesses. For this scheme, gloss may be the better choice.

Do you have examples of this technique? I'm not familiar with using satin's or glosses for my models. I typically just paint, then seal with flat finish.

Sorry I missed your question from a couple weeks ago.

No examples on me at the moment but I could probably make some this weekend. The whole deal with changing the finish is changing how washes or contrast paint interacts with the base colors underneath. Smoother the finish, the less of the wash will sit on highpoints and more ends in recesses.

Imagine a Space marine shoulder pads painted white and hit with a purple wash.

On a matte finished one, everything will end up purple with a darker purple in the crevice between the trim and rounded edge. Light purple on the highest point of the shoulderpad.

On a satin or semi-gloss, they're will be a slight purple at the highlights but much less. The crevice will have much more purple than the last as well.

On a gloss, almost nothing will get any purple with the exception of the crevice between trim and pad.

Takes some tinkering and practice but worth it in my book.

• Like 2