Bouke’s Contrast paint experiments

bouke

Decided to try and experiment with the contrast paints on models I will never use. Just getting back into this after about a decade. For the beginning experiments I did guardians in Iyanden colors. Then I bought a Tactical squad box. Doing one marine in a different chapter to test the colors. I really like this paint line a lot. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm still experimenting with them.  I did buy some Marines, painting one in each chapter colors that are different to see how the various colors work.  This is my Black Templar I did (ignore my markings, I would normally use a transfer for it, but I was just rying to complete him to see how he'd look)

l6MMxuSFBTY4Bt2sote4_Th6ryK7rP_m_blZSC7N

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So saw this on a video, so I'm not taking credit for it.  But I had saw that if you used basicilum grey over metal, it blacklines it.  It does work.  Here are my experiments with it using x101 from combat arena board game:

Pt0YPSK.jpg

0p8aclA.jpg

Edited by bouke
links didn't show
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, bouke said:

awZ7pb6.jpg

Did you achieve that black with blue highlights look using Contrast Paint!? If so, please tell me the terrible secrets of your foul sorcery!  

I want to paint my Necromunda Palanite Enforcers in a style that resembles classic comic book look of Judge Dredd and if there’s a way to cheat and not do painstakingly tiny edge highlights that’d be swell.

• Like 2

no I did contrast and then painted blue over the top of that.  my experimentation is on my "other" minis.   I think the combo works.  I could never achieve this type of results with just black paint.  While I didn't do any transition here, it still looks more like a highlight, whereas when I try this with just black, it looks like blue paint slabbed over black.  I don't know how else to explain.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Burk said:

one criticism.....do your bases....no one in their right mind likes clear bases 🙂 

neither do I, but these Rumbleslam miniatures come like that.  as they are fantasy wrestlers (wwe), I'm not sure what an appropriate base would be.

• Like 1