TANKS-Giving 2019 in PDX area

barca

WHAT: Annual PDX Flames of War TANKS-giving event
WHEN: SAT, November 9th, 2019, from 11 AM to ?

Setup time for GameMasters: 10-11 AM
WHERE: Oregon City Geeks and Games ( 1656 C Beavercreek Rd, Oregon City, OR 97045 )
WHO, Hosts: Rose City Dukes and Duchesses veteran players
WHO, players: Both Veteran and new players
FEE: $5.00
SPLIT FORMAT:
SET #1: Pre-set Missions (a.k.a. "Lend-Lease"). We supply the terrain, miniatures and coaching.

• Airborne mission. (I am modifying the mission in the book)
  • Beach Assault mission (again forces already at table)
  • May do a 3rd preset mission (TBD)

SET #2: Several tables for bring-your-own Minis and terrain.

• Rules: 4th edition Flames of War
  • Forces: 90pt LW , Western Front D-Day (preferred but not required, Eastern front also work)
  • Casual games, Not a tournament.

PRIZES:

• Door prizes for those who play at least 1 of the preset missions.
  • The rest of the prizes will be raffled.

earlier thread (April 2019) TANKS-giving 2019 event in NW Oregon - SW Washington

17 hours ago, fingolfen said:

I can't do the 16th because my son is doing the Space Exploration merit badge at Evergreen Aviation Museum that day.  Any other dates?

That will be up to the GM(s).

• I think that we already have 1 or 2 volunteers, but I am not naming names until they confirm their commitment.
  • SAT 23 NOV, I prefer not to do that day because I am hosting a boardgame that Saturday. I could cancel it, but prefer not to.
  • SAT the 30th is on Thanksgiving weekend, so participation would be low.
  • Like 1

I am trying to run this event and got some Ideas but need help.  

I have talked with Adam at OC-Geeks Games.  They have Six dedicated 4x6 tables for miniatures and if needed he can add more. He's got more room since they have expanded.

This would be more of a play event rather than a full tournament. A mix of "Lend-Lease" style (where the table and formations are preset) and regular play tables. So you can play as much or as little as you want, bring your army to play, or just use the preset tables.  All wars, all periods available.

To help, I need some Table hosts who have the books, formations, and know-how of the different games/scenarios.  ie Great War, Arab Isreali War, Nam, Team Yankee, and of course Flames of War, maybe specific scenarios like "Hit the Beach".  I'm thinking of 3-4 set-piece tables with hosts (of course I would be one of them with either Great War or Arab Israeli War) and the rest being open tables.

May even add a separate painting competition on the side.

Dates are flexible and I am currently leaning toward Nov 2nd or 9th.

3 hours ago, ZEKE said:

I am trying to run this event and got some Ideas but need help.  

I have talked with Adam at OC-Geeks Games.  They have Six dedicated 4x6 tables for miniatures and if needed he can add more. He's got more room since they have expanded.

This would be more of a play event rather than a full tournament. A mix of "Lend-Lease" style (where the table and formations are preset) and regular play tables. So you can play as much or as little as you want, bring your army to play, or just use the preset tables.  All wars, all periods available.

To help, I need some Table hosts who have the books, formations, and know-how of the different games/scenarios.  ie Great War, Arab Isreali War, Nam, Team Yankee, and of course Flames of War, maybe specific scenarios like "Hit the Beach".  I'm thinking of 3-4 set-piece tables with hosts (of course I would be one of them with either Great War or Arab Israeli War) and the rest being open tables.

May even add a separate painting competition on the side.

Dates are flexible and I am currently leaning toward Nov 2nd or 9th.

I can run (i.e., be "Table host") for Flames of War D-Day "Hit the Beach".  By start of November I will have all the terrain and forces for 100 or more pts of Geman, Americans and Fortifications.

I could loan terrain and forces for Team Yankee, 100+ pts of US and Soviet

• 3 weeks later...

I talked with Adam at OC Geeks and Games and requested November 9th.

2-3 tables will be set piece scenarios with the forces already sitting on the table. This will be to encourage people to try some other force they haven't used before and to try out some of the scenarios in the books. The rest of the tables will be for standard play, 90 points Late-War.  Preference would be the D-Day American and D-Day German books. Don't worry, bringing other late-war list to play is just fine, I just figured there would be alot of people trying out the new D-Day German stuff.

I need to get my butt in gear for roll-out of this. I keep forgetting it's only 2-months away, but was kinda waiting to see the new D-Day German book stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Souldier3 said:

Zeke, a question on hosting a table. I offered to host an eastern front late war table. Do I need to provide forces for both sides or do you just want terrain?

I am doing an airborne mission table. I am putting everything on the table. Terrain, forces, gaming aids.  Barca is doing a beach assault, and Nelson said he can do caen. Essentially, we are supplying everything but warm bodies. 

If all you want to do is terrain, and play games that's fine too.

We are mainly trying to help beginners and/or play games out of the norm as well as having some regular games.

P.s. I am also setting up a desert terrain table and anybody else wanting to help with table terrain is more than welcome.

I hope people are looking forward to this.  I keep bumping into people at Oregon City Geeks Games that are interested as well as others elsewhere.  This event is for players at all skill levels, beginners to experts. Even if you haven't played and are interested in checking it out or playing, there will be at least 3 tables setup with preset missions, game pieces, and instructors to help out. These tables are also available for experienced players to try their hands with a force they don't have and would like to try.

This is not an organized tournament but rather an all day gaming event. You can play as little or as much as you can handle.

I don't know how to do any fancy graphics so if anybody would like to post something on OCGeeksGames Facebook and/or  OCGeeksGames players facebook page, it would be appreciated.

Mission Tables:  

SteveZ  will be coaching - New Airborne Mission on Flames of war website (D-Day American US Airborne vs D-Day German PzGrenadier (unarmored))

JamesB will be coaching - Beach Assault (US vs German)

Nelson will be coaching - Caen (British Tank vs German Tank)

Regular Tables: Could still use help on more tables/terrain.

SteveZ - Desert table

Jacob - Stalingrad table

I have gathered up a door prize box and I have some good stuff that will be raffled throughout the day. 

Again there is a $5 charge for this event.

If anybody else is interested in doing the same, I can bring FOW stuff for sale/trade, maybe set up a small "garage sale table"   ???

Thx. All good ideas.

I will promote as much as possible, including on SAT, NOV 2 during the

• Learn-to-Play at Guardian Games (11:30 AM-1:30 PM), and
  • Flames of War Battles at Guardian Games (1:30-5:00 PM)

I will also write up some battle reports and take pics for the D-Day Global Campaign, to give our group more exposure.

The event is on the Ordo Calendar, on the Battlefront Events Web page, and several other online places I have posted.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, ZEKE said:

Thanks.

Changing the D-Day Beach mission from "FUBAR" to "Help is On Its Way".

We playtested the FUBAR mission a second time, and event with adjustments, it is not suitable for new players. Is it a long, slow slog for hardened Gorgnards.

The mission "Help is On Its Way" should play faster and be more dynamic for both sides.