Dream and Drool - D-Day German Preorders

barca

3 hours ago, fingolfen said:

Don't see the 21 PD funnies this time around... 😞

I feel ur pain:

Bad news and good news:
Bad news is that Battlefront has this statement for most of the 21st Panzer specialty models: "This product is no longer currently available for sale"
My assumption therefore is that in the "D-Day German" Command Card pack there probably will NOT be a command card for 21st Pz Div.
Good news is that if someone is still playing 21st Pz Div (in Normandy) in Flames of War 3rd Edition, there are still suppliers for most of the models: Old Glory and QRF (see this thread: "Beckers Funnies and 4th Edition")

I can't agree with you there. Perhaps it is a new player thing where 4th makes it easier for people to try it out. But I collected the majority of my armies during 3rd edition, where now I'm struggling to find a 4th edition army I want to play. And I love this game...or well I did. I have a whole eastern front Italian army painted and ready to go. But Battlefront has moved on to late war and I got no army list for them...well, unless I want to use the afrika list. Meh.

I think 2nd edition was probably the high water mark for FoW locally in terms of raw numbers, but early 3rd wasn't much of a drop off.  I remember we had several people in our playtest group that worked on the 3rd edition book and a lot of the follow-on books, but over time it gradually dwindled as people moved on to other games/systems.

I think perception can be very different from reality based on your own experiences. Our group here has been hosting events last year and this year, all of which have been mid war. We have had new players participate. Barca also has a regular demo session which has introduced new players to the game. I have personally had the experience of tutoring a new player in one of these games who had already started collecting but did not have a full force to game with.

It appears to me that you think flames is dead and for you that may be true because you dont play it. All you would need to do is start getting games in. There are plenty of opportunities here to organize and participate. I hope you do because it has been a long time since I played Mike in a game and it was a blast. I dont know if I have had the opportunity to meet brother glacius.

• Thanks 2

I'm hoping to get back in to playing more one of these days.  Part of the problem is I have a lot of stuff going on now that's taking the time I'd be spending on Flames of War - my son's a Boy Scout now, and I'm trying to support him.  Also, I've had a run of bad luck with scheduling conflicts for major events.  

I'm still writing and proofreading for Battlefront.  I wrote some of the Oil Wars text, a lot of the new Fate of a Nation text, I'm in the MW German books as well.  

Looking back, though, I miss coming out to play and there being 8, 10, or more players on gaming night or in the playtest group.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fingolfen said:

I'm hoping to get back in to playing more one of these days.  Part of the problem is I have a lot of stuff going on now that's taking the time I'd be spending on Flames of War - my son's a Boy Scout now, and I'm trying to support him.  Also, I've had a run of bad luck with scheduling conflicts for major events.  

I'm still writing and proofreading for Battlefront.  I wrote some of the Oil Wars text, a lot of the new Fate of a Nation text, I'm in the MW German books as well.  

Looking back, though, I miss coming out to play and there being 8, 10, or more players on gaming night or in the playtest group.

I hear you completely. I dont get regular games in at all. I'm more of an event or 1 time scheduled game here and there.

If you ever do want to meet up for a game just let me know and I'll put it on my calendar and drive up to Portland.

12 hours ago, fingolfen said:

Sadly the other omission from the D-Day German books is one of my favorite armies - Panzerabteilung 206...

There might yet be time for you to lobby your connections at BF to get beutepanzer units into command cards in time for the release of the German SS book in Spring of 2020. Although beutepanzer units were not 'SS', they were specialized.

Another option is here: "Community Unit Cards" https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109&art_id=6088

I would like to see beutepanzer units hit the table and be supported, even if only for casual play.

RE: 21st Panzer Division. Looks like there is hope for this formation:

http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/d-day-german-forces-oberbefehlshaber-west/

"21st Panzer is not present in this book. Fear not though as we have received a note stating that they will be available later on as an official online force with cards"

http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/d-day-german-forces-too-hot-or-not/

"Well not to stress the point too much more the lack of anything for the 21st Panzer Division was a disappointment until I got to the bottom of the briefing doc and saw the last paragraph stating there would be an additional release of profiles just for the 21st..."