40k Nova previews

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Ironically...  the local players voted for me to play a different army.  They chose Grey Knights.  And of course...my entire Grey Knight army is METAL AF.  Can't win.

I suspect I know why they picked it too...

Dunno if you like allies or not, but GK psychic powers have some fearsome potential with allies that reduce enemy leadership. I know you like running weird lists....

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Dunno if you like allies or not, but GK psychic powers have some fearsome potential with allies that reduce enemy leadership. I know you like running weird lists....

I play pure lists mostly because: theme.  

It did occure to me that Purge Soul might be dangerous and even good, with LD debuffs.  What did you have in mind?

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I play pure lists mostly because: theme.  

It did occure to me that Purge Soul might be dangerous and even good, with LD debuffs.  What did you have in mind?

For starters, GK can get +1 leadership for their warlord via the main rulebook warlord trait. Means you can have leadership 11 on a psyker.

Then it's just allies with debuffs. Lots of armies can provide that. Since I play DA, I would start with an interigator chaplain and 3 squads of primaries reivers (while in melee range, up to -4 leadership just there). Plus the reivers are kinda the opposite of GK terminators in melee (no special melee weapons, but lots of cheap attacks). DA also have a relic that reduces enemy leadership in melee range, so upto -5 now. A DA psyker can also both lower leadership and hurt opponents for having low leadership, so a second DA hq might be valid.

More allies could help, but too much focus on leadership would probably make the list lopsided. So I'd probably stop at the -5 or so leadership.

But purge soul is d6 plus leadership vs d6 plus leadership. An imperial knight is usually leadership 9, so that becomes 4 with the -5, and the d6 gives a range of 5-10. Meanwhile with leadership 11 your GK grandmaster warlord, the d6 grants a range of 12-17. So you could inflict upto 12 mortal wounds right there.

Might be tricky to get it all in place, but once or twice a game would make it worthwhile.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, Brother Glacius said:

But if you have this army already, do you really need the new models?

Need might be a strong word but I'll be buying a whole new force (prob 2000 pts plus) to go with my existing sisters, just so I can get all the new stuff and paint it cohesively.

I already put in a preorder for that box with my FLGS. 😉

• Like 3