paxmiles

Ubuntu and Linux

Planning to switch in the near future, from windows 10 to ubuntu (linux). Thought it would be wise to ask around to see if anyone local is already familiar with ubuntu and can have questions answered if I run into something I can't solve on my own. I don't foresee problems, but I like having a plan in the event of problems. I did purchase a book for this OS which looks promising.

So anyone on ordo use Ubuntu?

I used Ubuntu on my old mac laptop for a bit - it seemed stable and smooth enough.  I later switched it to Mint Linux - which seems to be snappy and stable on my old powerbook.  I used it as my main computer in my hobby zone.

Really, linux is well supported - lots of tools and help and a ton of help online.  Just be sure to check the build options when downloading ... so it fits the hardware stats your installing it on.  Document all your special bits on your workstation - so you can track down drivers (or just make sure someone has made drivers for it in linux).  Just my two cents... I'm far from a power user - just want things to work lol

-d

I would suggest using Virtual Box to install Ubuntu as a virtual machine on your Windows OS first.  That will let you do a trial run without leaving you without a working computer if it goes poorly.   This looks like a pretty decent walkthrough of it: https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/

I have never used Virtual Box with ubuntu but I do use it at work every day to run Windows VMs and occasionally red hat/cent os.

+1 for Ubuntu VM at first. You can also look into distros based on Ubuntu like Mint (my personal favorite and the one I use). Mint is a very approachable distro. Mint is just re-skinned ubuntu for the most part so if you like the UI of Ubuntu, by all means use that.