Warhammer Legends...

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Of course, all of this isn’t an issue if you don’t give a rip about tournament organizers and competitive play.

The main issue is that they are officially not going to update the models anymore. It douses hope.

I was hoping for updated models once GW got over their Primaris kink.

15 minutes ago, Ish said:

GW will “update” when and if they feel like it. We didn’t have Space Marine Lieutenants for second through seventh editions... Then someone in the studio got an idea for a new sculpt and presto they’re back.

Is there an actual model for non-primaris lieutenants?

I do think you are right, which are sad points to be right on. Wish GW was more keen on maintenance of a good hobby, rather than the near constant alteration and recreation of said hobby. But, meh. I guess I'm still hooked...

On 9/10/2019 at 1:14 PM, paxmiles said:

Now when comparing either to a JP chappy, you'll note that the JP chappy has only 4 wounds, while both the biker and the primaris have 5. And the cost difference between the primaris and biker is only about 20pts for superior speed, toughness, equal wounds and equal abilities, and thanks to the updated bolter rule, the biker even has better shooting.

There's another important advantage the bike has over the jump pack--base size. Having the old biker base gives you somewhere around 18 more square inches of aura according to my guesstimations.

Out of curiosity, how does this apply to Index weapon choices? I don't do anything index except one. I hate being required to pay 5 points for a 2+ poison pistol for my haemonculi. I'll take the free 4+ poison pistol, thank you!

11 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

All Legacy Index entries will no longer be supported for Matched Play. 

Those poor Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors, like 90% of the destroy-able buildings will no longer be in matched play.

Just now, paxmiles said:

Those poor Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors, like 90% of the destroy-able buildings will no longer be in matched play.

But, hey, we still have a 17% chance of doing an extra hit with a boltgun when shooting at targets in cover. Fear me, puny mortals!!!

23 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

People spend way too much time worrying about that garbage.  But sure.  Lol.  You're not wrong.

You just know someone on Tumblr would rant and rave about how you were erasing xir identity as a Vampire or Dragon. 

10 hours ago, Ish said:

You just know someone on Tumblr would rant and rave about how you were erasing xir identity as a Vampire or Dragon. 

I have given that one some thought. There is always the possibility that someone you address isn't actually mortal (or at least, doesn't identify as such).

It's not like I have any means to determine your actual lifespan until after you die. So I suppose, if you said you were immortal, I'd have to take your word for it. 

But "mortal" remains gender neutral, even if it isn't perfectly accurate for everyone.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:04 PM, Munkie said:

There's another important advantage the bike has over the jump pack--base size. Having the old biker base gives you somewhere around 18 more square inches of aura according to my guesstimations.

The base isn't much bigger than the area of the terminator base. The biker chappy never came on a round base. Old bikes were on those 20x40mm rectangles. Or they didn't come with bases at all. The round biker bases are rather new to the hobby. 

As for the speed, it's good, definitely good to be fast, but it won't really increase the area of effect for the chappy's aura. 

Main balance concerns would be the extra ranged weapon on the bike (combi-bolter), the higher toughness, and more wounds. The other potential concern would be army specific rules, like Ravenwing rules. 

I still think the main issue is that the biker chappy outshines the Primaris Chappy. The biker chappy just is all around better for a very similar cost. Especially an issue while the Primaris lack decent transports. A serious player would never buy the primaris chappy, but they might buy a biker chappy, even if they had the same cash cost - I think that's the issue more than anything: GW wants to sell the new models.

4 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

GW is no longer going to support (update rules and points) for units in the GW Indexes that don't have a current GW model/aren't in the GW Codex.  

FW has not been addressed in this.

FW books are labeled as being indexes. They have no current FW rules (other than free downloads) outside of the indexes. If GW says they intend to drop support for the indexes, it would follow that this may apply to ALL of the indexes.

I mean, read the damn article, quoted for your ease:

With so much awesome stuff on the way for Warhammer 40,000, you might be wondering what’s happening to some of the treasured older models that previously had rules in our Index books. While these might not have a place in our codexes any more, we know that they definitely have a place in your hearts, which is why you’ll be delighted to hear that we’ll be supporting them FOREVER with Warhammer Legends. 

Your Imperial Space Marine? Rules, FOREVER. Your Chaplain on Bike? You can use him until actual Space Marine Chaplains on actual Space Marine bikes are invented in the year 30,000.** And, to top it all off, they’ll be getting points, meaning if that’s how you like to balance your games, we’ve got you covered.  

Every year, we review all of the points values (for all of the units) in Warhammer 40,000. We won’t be doing this for the Warhammer Legends, though. Once we’ve assigned them their final points, they won’t be part of that ongoing balance review – and we won’t be recommending Legends units for competitive tournaments. This means that event organisers and attendees alike can guarantee everything they’re gaming with is easily available and has been subject to the same rigorous balance and playtesting process. Of course, organisers are also free to run Legends events, allowing the use of the full classic range in their games.