Warhammer Legends...

5 minutes ago, Ish said:

Hey, if we’re going to be passively aggressively sniping at each other, can I just point out that it’s spelt “indices”?

There you go utilizing anachronistic information.  Edwin is dead, and we speak and spell American English, not Latin.  😄

Even GW refers to them as such:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/05/forge-world-preview-indexes/

43 minutes ago, Ish said:

Bite your tongue, @InfestedKerrigan! I speak the Queen’s English, even if I have to do it hindered by my accursed Michigan accent.

Been wondering, where do you pick this stuff up? Like would I have to be born in another country? Or is this the sort of thing I could realistically learn after reading a few specfic books or subscribing to a certain magazine? Watching certain TV shows? Or is this just something special to you?

Like you knew all those people the BBC was referencing and further knew people that could be confused with them. I'd never heard of any of them. And you know all sorts of other fun facts.

Got nothing against it, just curious how you acquired it. I suppose you could just be using google, but I really doubt it. I suspect you just know all this stuff off hand.

I’ve been an Anglophile pretty much as far back as I can remember. British books, British films and television, British musicians, et cetera have always seemed to be my favorites since forever... Paddington Bear being the very first book I can recall my mom reading to me, then her reading me the entire unabridged The Hobbit during kindergarten, and my father basically having Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer playing on the stereo 24/7 probably planted the seeds.

As I grew up, I became fascinated by history (especially medieval history and military history). Then later on I developed a fascination with the Age of Sail and sailing in general. England was a major part of that, of course.

Watching the world implode on 24-hour cable news during the reunification of Germany, the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the Clinton impeachment were the foundation for my obsession with consuming the news and following politics.

I’m also a pedantic a*****e, who loves to read about rules and systems. I also love to argue about things, but in the Socratic “argument as means of figuring things out” sense and not in the “argument to see who yells loudest” sense. 

I also have a bad case of Attention Deficit Disorder and a nearly eidetic memory. Yeah, it’s a weird combo... The result is that I tend to know a little bit of useless information about a lot of things, a lot of useless information about a few things, and am very good at rapidly researching the things I don’t know. 

Linguistics, grammar, syntax and all that appeals to the part of my brain that craves systems and structure. It’s the same reason I love logic and rhetoric.

Memorizing the arcane details of the British peerage system happened as a side-effect of studying medieval history. It’s pretty much all about what this king did to that duke on behalf of this bishop, after all, so learning the system helps keep things straight. Since the modern peerage has really only had a handful of significant changes since the 17th Century, having learned it once it wasn’t too for me to learn the modern system.

As a voracious consumer of British news (I find it useful to read foreign newspapers to get an unbiased [or rather differently biased] perspective on American events] I tend to come across the names of prominent British politicians and the scandals of the same.

TL;DR: I’m a massive nerd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ish said:

I’ve been an Anglophile pretty much as far back as I can remember. British books, British films and television, British musicians, et cetera have always seemed to be my favorites since forever... Paddington Bear being the very first book I can recall my mom reading to me, then her reading me the entire unabridged The Hobbit during kindergarten, and my father basically having Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer playing on the stereo 24/7 probably planted the seeds.

As I grew up, I became fascinated by history (especially medieval history and military history). Then later on I developed a fascination with the Age of Sail and sailing in general. England was a major part of that, of course.

Watching the world implode on 24-hour cable news during the reunification of Germany, the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the Clinton impeachment were the foundation for my obsession with consuming the news and following politics.

I’m also a pedantic a*****e, who loves to read about rules and systems. I also love to argue about things, but in the Socratic “argument as means of figuring things out” sense and not in the “argument to see who yells loudest” sense. 

I also have a bad case of Attention Deficit Disorder and a nearly eidetic memory. Yeah, it’s a weird combo... The result is that I tend to know a little bit of useless information about a lot of things, a lot of useless information about a few things, and am very good at rapidly researching the things I don’t know. 

Linguistics, grammar, syntax and all that appeals to the part of my brain that craves systems and structure. It’s the same reason I love logic and rhetoric.

Memorizing the arcane details of the British peerage system happened as a side-effect of studying medieval history. It’s pretty much all about what this king did to that duke on behalf of this bishop, after all, so learning the system helps keep things straight. Since the modern peerage has really only had a handful of significant changes since the 17th Century, having learned it once it wasn’t too for me to learn the modern system.

As a voracious consumer of British news (I find it useful to read foreign newspapers to get an unbiased [or rather differently biased] perspective on American events] I tend to come across the names of prominent British politicians and the scandals of the same.

TL;DR: I’m a massive nerd.

QFT

House of Commons is my Daytime Soap.  Poor Speaker's throat this past week has been great fun, especially as I fight off a cold.

I don't think there is any reason to fear that level of culling.  They say in no uncertain terms that it is "older models."  Assassins, Sisters of Silence, Inquisition, et al, they aren't going away.  They give specific examples of units no longer getting points up dates or rules balancing.  Chap on Bike and 25th Anny Model (or was it 30th?), things they aren't producing (Until FW gives us Libby/Chappie Bikers, per GW), and not readily accessible NIB via GW.   I bet we see Munkies cheap guns go away.  I suspect we will see special gear that isn't in the Current Codex sent legacy in the case of armies that have a codex.  Perhaps, even, we will see SoS rolled into SoB.  Or an Inquisitorial/Imperial Support Codex post SoB/pre Xmas.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

I don't think there is any reason to fear that level of culling.  They say in no uncertain terms that it is "older models."  Assassins, Sisters of Silence, Inquisition, et al, they aren't going away. ... Perhaps, even, we will see SoS rolled into SoB.  Or an Inquisitorial/Imperial Support Codex post SoB/pre Xmas.

White-Dwarf-Logo.jpg

White Dwarf October 2019

October’s issue of White Dwarf is also up for pre-order today. It’s an issue packed with exciting content,* including an Index Imperialis on the Sisters of Silence 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, Ish said:

Until GW publishes codices for them...

I've heard that sisters of silence are a HH thing. GW's probably disappointed with their sales or lack of presence in 40k tournaments, but then, how do they expect to sell an army with only elites....

Inquisition, I've heard that GW's stance is that 40k's setting is too large scale for a proper INQ book. I think they'll get updated rules in places like Blackstone fortress expansions, but I don't expect to get a codex. I kinda agree, despite loving INQ.

But then I also heard that GW doesn't want Kroot anymore, in TAU, but those made it to the codex, so no clue.

15 minutes ago, Ish said:

The logical thing to do with Inquisitors, Sisters of Silence, and the like is to fold them into other codices. 

Well, sisters of silence actually have a much more detailed army in HH. So giving them a proper codex would just be a matter of giving them 40k rules for more of their stuff.

For inquisitors, I think the blackstone fortress approach is best - special character and their special retinue released as part of a heroquest-like game and given 40k rules for use in 40k.

56 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

But then I also heard that GW doesn't want Kroot anymore, in TAU, but those made it to the codex, so no clue.

I feel like since 5th ed we've been hearing rumors of GW wanting to distant the Kroot, and the possibility of a Rogue Trader/Tau Auxiliary dex.  

And then they [big bad swear word]-canned the Build-a-Kroot Workshop.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Or an Inquisitorial/Imperial Support Codex post SoB/pre Xmas.

I love being right.

Index Imperialis: The Inquisition

The shadowy Ordos of the Inquisition are the stars of the largest Index Imperialis to date, featuring a whopping 20 pages of background and rules content – it’s like a mini codex in its own right!

As well as reading about the history of the Ordos and how they operate, you’ll find a host of new and updated rules in the form of Stratagems, datasheets (including those of unique Inquisitors such as Coteaz, Greyfax, Karamazovand Eisenhorn), Relics and even a new psychic discipline, Telethesia. It’s essential reading for fans of Inquisitors everywhere!

WDPreview-Nov08-Spread1msdfg.jpg